Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I mean this is what sucks I really don’t want to spend $10,000 on bicycles. But it sounds like spending $4500 on bicycles is basically a waste of money. So maybe riding bikes down some trails won’t be a hobby.

I do appreciate the feedback. I certainly don’t want to make a mistake buying stuff that isn’t worth owning.

I wouldn't get sucked into the best or nothing thinking that is easy to fall into. Those DB bikes are better than what I am riding. I can't keep up with Chad and his sweet bike.. but I can at least ride with him. Your boys are going to outgrow bikes also, so spending big now won't be a forever purchase. If they fall in love with the sport, and start outriding the bikes, then get better. But I believe they will be very sufficient for a long while. You guys aren't dropping the 10ft ledges and hucking the 30ft doubles.

Tebbsjeep

I bought my bike for $400 and I've taken it on several different terrains. From just riding the shoreline trail, to Corner canyon, and the big rocky stuff. Fast and slow. You don't need a big money bike to have fun. Remember, in the 90s they ride rougher trails on rigid bikes.

J-mobzz

I would have a hard time spending even $4500 on bikes that were only gonna get used a couple times a year. If riding the lifts at the park is the agenda, it might be worth just renting when you wanna go.

But for a casual trail ride, something like that Atroz is definitely a useable bike. For your use case I don't know that you and your boys need full suspension bikes? A good suspension setup brings comfort and extra traction to the table, but a low end suspension is heavy and smushy and doesn't really add a lot to the ride IMO. If you start looking at hardtails you bring the price down a notch, and they're simpler to maintain as well.

Besides Diamondback's lineup, check out Bikesdirect.com. Something like this has components that are a step up from that Atroz you linked, and plus tires to boot which I'm a big fan of. They add traction and take a little of the chatter out of the trail without the added complexity of a rear suspension.
I looked at bikes direct this morning. Unfortunately they don’t have anything in stock that will fit my kids besides that DB I posted.

Maybe I’m just early and need to wait for new shipments of bikes start showing up this spring

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I’ve had 3 DB’s in last couple years. Sync’r, Release 2 and Mason 2. Sync’r was a rad bike I just decided I wanted FS. Love my release and really liked my Mason 2, I’d still have that bike if I wasn’t hurting for money last year

Tebbsjeep

My bike is a 2015 diamondback syncr. This is the model before the syncr got better/more aggressive. I've added better wheels/tires, a dropper post, and a better/more travel fork. I don't think I necessarily needed those things, but I think they improved the bike. Still way more capable than my skills, and I think I'm into it $1200-1350ish. I think you get better value out of used bikes.

I still see bikes at places like level 9 sports. I believe they carry Rocky Mountain brand bikes, and they look pretty sweet.

IMG_20220124_161105.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Dh bikes are an odd beast. You can pick them up used on ksl for a fraction of the cost of a "enduro" bike. If I were you, I'd go rent at least a couple times this summer and see if they like it on a good bike, if not you didn't waste money on a not so good bike that they definitely wouldn't have fun on if the rental bike isn't fun for them.

J-mobzz

My bike is a 2015 diamondback syncr. This is the model before the syncr got better/more aggressive. I've added better wheels/tires, a dropper post, and a better/more travel fork. I don't think I necessarily needed those things, but I think they improved the bike. Still way more capable than my skills, and I think I'm into it $1200-1350ish. I think you get better value out of used bikes.

I still see bikes at places like level 9 sports. I believe they carry Rocky Mountain brand bikes, and they look pretty sweet.

View attachment 145437
I actually went to level 9 today to pick up some new skis. They don’t currently have much in the bike department. I think the lowest price tag I saw was still over $2500

Tebbsjeep

The Rocky Mountain Growler would be a decent beginner bike.
Also check out the local Fezzari.

I would still go ride some different bikes to see what you like.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
on sale in WY.

J-mobzz

on sale in WY.
They won’t let me buy two at that price unfortunately. If I go this route I’ll probably go bikes direct as they offer $140 gift cards each bike that I could then use Towards getting me something.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Giant bikes are hard to beat for the money.
You could get the boys a couple of staces. The plus tires are awesome for traction if you aren't pedaling. They get a little heavy for kids when you're climbing.

J-mobzz

You could get the boys a couple of staces. The plus tires are awesome for traction if you aren't pedaling. They get a little heavy for kids when you're climbing.
Those are both awesome suggestions that would put me right around my budget for all three bikes I’m gonna go try to check out that bike in Herriman tonight.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Wow, that's a fair bit of bike for that price.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My son has been wanting a "good" mountain bike for a long time. We pulled the trigger and dropped $900 on a Speacialized Rockhopper, helmet, lifetime service, yada yada. I haven't seen a smile so big in a long time. The kid was going crazy. He rode it all night long. This morning........two flat tires. You have to be kidding me. A Walmart bike would have lasted just as long. So what do I do? Looks like he picked up some thorns. With the tires flat, I was very surprised to see/feel how flimsy the tires are. What's my next step here? The green goo? Something else? These are tube tires. Are tubeless any better?