Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

cackalak

Either of Gary or Mark want to drive my pickup? I'm thinking hard about this but there's no way I'll be able to ride the whole thing.

I've never met you or know your current endurance level, but with just a little bit of training between now and then, you can do this no problem. Even if you put in 30-40 miles a week (that's 5 mile rides, then a longer ride on Sat), you can condition yourself good enough to do the whole thing. Especially if you have people riding with you, it seems to make the miles go by way faster.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What I can't imagine is sitting on a saddle that long for one day. Let alone multiple in succession. That seemed to be my biggest issue when I was riding to work. I was able to handle the 26-ish miles a day okay but my tender parts were screaming.

sixstringsteve

I've never met you or know your current endurance level, but with just a little bit of training between now and then, you can do this no problem. Even if you put in 30-40 miles a week (that's 5 mile rides, then a longer ride on Sat), you can condition yourself good enough to do the whole thing. Especially if you have people riding with you, it seems to make the miles go by way faster.

100% agree. As far as Nate's saddle comment, I agree, the most important part will be not getting saddle sore. A good saddle that fits properly will do wonders here, along with a month of conditioning your sit bones.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Mark has his own pickup he will be taking.

Cool. Thinking really hard on this. It'd be a great experience for Wifey and Boogerface. If we bring the truck I wouldn't worry about any of us holding up the party.

Good advice, thanks!

sixstringsteve

I'll bet your son could ride the entire thing at my pace.

Mark is bringing his truck. I assume Gary will be bringing his KJ. We need to make sure all the vehicles can carry everyone's food, supplies, spares, and camping gear every day. We all need to camp in the same campsite each night, but you could definitely take your own pace with your wife driving with you.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If you're cool sharing the trail with my clan, we'd love to join. We'd have to bring the truck though, baby dictates that we be self supporting. We'd have plenty of room for other's gear and supplies and would be happy to help schlep it along.

sixstringsteve

As long as your clan can help the group, I'm all for it. So that's 4 people on your side?

6 spots left

1. Steve
2. Tess
3. Joel
4. Gary cobranut (driver)
5. Mark (driver)
6. Kevin
7. Mrs. Kevin (driver)
8. Booger Face
9. Diaper Face

MattL

Anybody ridden a Trek remedy? Any thoughts? Ive always been a cross country guy. Love the climbs and pain but always been skittish on dh's. Im looking to loosen up on that with maybe a different bike and looking to get back to riding in general.

Caleb

I know this isn't a for sale thread BUT if anyone is interested, I'm going to be selling my Trek Superfly, it's this exact model. I rode it exactly two times, a trip up Yellow Fork and a trip down Snowbird. It's got just the basic plastic platform pedals on it, but I will also include a brand new set of Eggbeater 3 pedals (never installed). Otherwise, it's completely as it came from the bike shop. If anyone is interested, hit me up, I haven't even listed it anywhere yet. For a few dollars more, I could also include a Thule Helium Aero 3 (also only used twice) hitch carrier.

Thanks

sixstringsteve

If you've got the time and funds, I recommend going to outerbike in March. For ~$175 you can ride every manufacturer's bike on some great trails in Moab for 3 days straight. You should have a pretty good idea of what you like coming out of it.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, not super cheap, but when you factor that every manufacture has almost every bike in every size, it's pretty amazing.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to ride as many different bikes as I can to see which one suits me best. Some people prefer to walk into their favorite bike shop and pick from the 2-3 models they have there, and they're happy with that.

If I were trying to decide which $6k-9k bike I wanted to purchase, it'd be worth $175 to me to ride all the competitors back to back and see which one I preferred. A lot of these bikes aren't even in shops yet. For example, if you want to test ride a Yeti SB6c, you won't find one locally for even a parking lot ride. And a parking lot ride doesn't tell you too much. I hear it's a super fun event with meals, shuttles, raffles, swag, and a film festival.

MattL

Yeah, not super cheap, but when you factor that every manufacture has almost every bike in every size, it's pretty amazing.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to ride as many different bikes as I can to see which one suits me best. Some people prefer to walk into their favorite bike shop and pick from the 2-3 models they have there, and they're happy with that.

If I were trying to decide which $6k-9k bike I wanted to purchase, it'd be worth $175 to me to ride all the competitors back to back and see which one I preferred. A lot of these bikes aren't even in shops yet. For example, if you want to test ride a Yeti SB6c, you won't find one locally for even a parking lot ride. And a parking lot ride doesn't tell you too much. I hear it's a super fun event with meals, shuttles, raffles, swag, and a film festival.

Sounds like fun but i don't have the time or the money for it or even a 6 k bike. Don't get me wrong, i think there are lots of good bikes out there that might be worth it, I am not looking for that. I have a price range I am looking for and I've been a die hard HT fan. I'm exploring options of full suspension cross country bike that doesn't weigh a ton with a bit more comfort and can climb. I think there are lots of options, so I am open to them all.

sixstringsteve

What's your price range? Do you need to buy new or is used ok? Do you want better climbing or descending? How much travel do you want? What weight range are you looking for?

sixstringsteve

I also love the bible of bike reviews. They give some good feedback.

[video=youtube;3j5UUiZbEds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5UUiZbEds&list=PLEg7lC4yx0cELGs32lXD5EpPaquw2AAdw[/video]

MattL

What's your price range? Do you need to buy new or is used ok? Do you want better climbing or descending? How much travel do you want? What weight range are you looking for?

I don't even know what my price range is at the moment. Id be totally fine with used, matter of fact that is what Ive started looking at. I want all around bike. I love the CC and climbs, but needs to improve on the DH. I have no plans for any ski-lift rides. I am not one to be catching mass air, just an all around comfortable beater. Weight is open but the last couple i have had were 26ish. I know some of the AM bikes are a bit more than that but im open to discussion.

sixstringsteve

26 is pretty light for a full susp, but 28 should be no problem.

I've heard the remedies were OK, but nothing special. I hear they bob quite a bit while pedaling. I think you could do better with something else. I know there are a lot of Giant fans around these parts.