Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Samersen

We biked the Whole Enchilada last Saturday. It was fun but probably the hardest trail I have ever ridden. Amasa back would be a fun I have heard good things about it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
For some reason I just now noticed this thread. I've been riding for about 5 months now, mostly up in PC where it's been cooler temps. I'd be down to hit some singletrack with you guys!

sixstringsteve

Awesome. You're welcome to join us in Moab at the end of the month if you want. Have you ridden the crest trail yet? I'm itching to ride that trail again soon.

Last edited:

MattL

Let me know when you do the crest. I might do a morning run up there to run it. Need to do so before all the guys in orange get out.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have not ridden the wasatch crest yet... on the list. I've spent a lot of time up around Flying Dog and even in the summit park area which is now my favorite quick ride to do laps on.
I'm planning on being in Moab at the end of the month to do some wheeling, but maybe I'll bring the bike with!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Keep this thread up. I have not ridden crest and really want to.

Rode CC today with my BIL that just started riding a month ago. I had to push to keep up with him on Rush. Some people suck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

we did a night ride up lambert tonight. It was really fun.

Does anyone else out there have a light setup?

We picked up this light for my wife last year, and it's 80% as good as my $400 night rider light. Worth every penny. In fact, I'd pay $100 for it if the price ever went up.
http://amzn.to/1OmPEnn

Plenty of light and battery for a 1-2 hour night ride. We mount it on our helmets so it doesn't cast any weird shadows and so it follows your vision, not your handlebars. It's kinda goofy how it mounts, but for the price, nothing else even comes close. I highly doubt they're cree LEDs, and I'm positive the lumen rating is a lie, but it's a fantastic way to get started with night riding.

Last edited:

MattL

we did a night ride up lambert tonight. It was really fun.

Does anyone else out there have a light setup?

We picked up this light for my wife last year, and it's 80% as good as my $400 night rider light. Worth every penny. In fact, I'd pay $100 for it if the price ever went up.
http://amzn.to/1OmPEnn

Plenty of light and battery for a 1-2 hour night ride. We mount it on our helmets so it doesn't cast any weird shadows and so it follows your vision, not your handlebars. It's kinda goofy how it mounts, but for the price, nothing else even comes close. I highly doubt they're cree LEDs, and I'm positive the lumen rating is a lie, but it's a fantastic way to get started with night riding.

Thank you.
Ive been looking for something that i can use for night riding/running.

MattL

Steve how has the heat been coming off the light. I looked at this one and one review has an image of the temp associated to it. I dont want something that hot on my helmet/head.

sixstringsteve

I'm pretty sure that's the exact same light. I have never felt the heat. It's cool to the touch when I turn it off at the end of a ride. Besides, it's usually a lot cooler at night when I'm riding. Plus it's sitting a few inches above the top of your helmet, so it gets a lot of ventilation. Nothing else will come close for the price.

Helmets: What are you all using? I'm in the market for something new, plus it's a good time to get a discount.
Check out the Bell Super 2r. I got one and love it. Has a removable chin bar so can easily be changed over to a full face and back to a regular helmet for going uphill. Also has a gopro mount that is pretty convenient. The ventilation is great. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Check out the Bell Super 2r. I got one and love it. Has a removable chin bar so can easily be changed over to a full face and back to a regular helmet for going uphill. Also has a gopro mount that is pretty convenient. The ventilation is great. Highly recommended.
That is bad ass!
I've been wearing a fox Flux. Now I'll be saving pennies for a bell super 2r.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Samersen

Has anyone tried fat biking and if so where have you ridden? I am thinking of renting on from Jans in Park City and riding out to Round Valley.

rholbrook

Some of you know my 14 yr old son Harrison. The kid loves to mountain bike. A few years ago I got him a Specialized something or other. Nice bike but he has outgrown it. He has been bugging me about getting a new bike and everything he has brought to me has been really expensive so I offered to sell his motorcycle and told him he could use all the proceeds for a new bike. He apparently likes his KTM too much. He finally came to me with a deal that if he was able to save half, would I pay the other half. I figured that was a good deal for both of us because he had some skin into the game and would take good care of it and it would be part his money if he decided to sit on the couch and play video games like the other 98% of 14 yr olds out there. Harrison has always loved riding and spent several days a week riding the Shore Line Trail up here and has to beg his buddies to go with him.

Well, he saved half and we went shopping. He wanted a 27.5" Specialized Enduro Comp. It has a Fox Shock on the rear and PIKE forks. We had a dropper post put on it and he tells me its perfect. He rides every day, rain, snow or cold and I am told by some adult friends of mine that have taken him that he is a helluva rider. I wish it was something I liked to do but I don't. So if any of you need a riding partner, he will go and I will haul him to you.

sixstringsteve

Has anyone tried fat biking and if so where have you ridden? I am thinking of renting on from Jans in Park City and riding out to Round Valley.

I've done it. It's best to consider it a completely different sport. It's not quite like mountain biking, and not quite like road biking. It can be a lot of fun. AF Canyon has some great spots to ride. I'm sure there are some great trails up in the uintas as well. I know park city's got some places to ride too. Definitely rent first; they're expensive and a serious commitment. I hated riding mine on the dry dirt. It wasn't playful, and those huge tires just made the rolling resistance ridiculously high.

Don't be afraid to go SUPER low on the tire pressure in the snow. A difference of 1-2 psi will make a huge difference on the snow, and it needs to change for different conditions. I was at 2-3 psi, bouncing the rim off the ground every now and then, when I found optimal traction in my last ride. Other times, 5-7 psi will be better. Play around with it.