Any other ultralight backpackers on RME?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
what is the "265" that is in between your 350 and 205? ;)

The 265 is a extremely rare tranny. It is exactly like the SM 465 but has a typo in it.;) I really should change my thing since I don't have that jeep any more anyway.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You know the pup tent is so old i don't know the name, it is just a nylon shell A-frame scout tent, keeps the bugs away and tries to keep the water out. Same thing with the pole probably picked it up at k-mart or somewhere years ago, it telescopes in and out. The real I use is a Daiwa ultra lite with good quality line.

Time to take my scale to the store and start weighing some reels and rods.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have an older Mountain Hardware Trango 3 tent. it's still a super bitchen tent, but it's pretty bulky. I've retired it to strictly wet or cold weather camping and have since bought another single man tent that is all mesh for when I camp in the desert (which is the majority of my camping these days). I think it weighs just over 3 lbs, but it's only a 1 man.

I would love to get up at least once this year. I've been up to Teal lake and Alsop lake in the uintah's, and we hiked into Grandaddy basin and camped at (i think) Lodgpole? lake which was really neat. I'm just not in the best shape anymore to do any long distance trekking. Maybe after I get my soft ass into shape for this crazy marathon run I committed to in June I'll be better fit for some longer hikes.

First off, I don't know how to do multiple quotes so sorry everyone for the three posts in a row.

The trango is a sick tent. It is heavy though. Desert camping is sweet. Granddaddy is B E A utiful. After a marathon you should take up thru-hiking. The AT or the CDT. It only takes 3 months or so.

Now to avoid a 4th post in a row. I'll do gear list here. summer list.

Stove= Pepsi can aluminium <1 once with windscreen. Fuel=Heat like the kind you pour in a gas tank. 1 once per dehydrated meal.

Pack=granite gear ozone, virga, meridian vapor, depending on how light I am trying to go and how much gear I need. 1lb3oz--3lb.

Tent= big agnes seedhouse 1 Sl 2lb13oz. Or MSR hubba Hubba 3lb13oz if my wife comes.

Sleeping bag= mountain hardwear phantom 32 1lb15oz. soon to be western mountaineering bag. Still deciding on model.

pad=six sections of z rest if I take the virga (the pad makes the frame of the pack) If I take the ozone then prolite 3 short. if I take the vapor then I take a torso length of my blue walmart pad (the lightest I have found to date)

Water filter=tablets if I am trying to stay under 10lb. If luxury the hiker pro 11oz. soon to be upgraded to the new MSR filter that will weigh in at 7 oz.

Cooking kit= MSR titan kettle or snow peak cup, both about 4.5 oz Light my fire spork.

Clothes= 1 pair quick dry zipoffs (usually what I am wearing), 1 pair under wear, 1 pair of socks for each day, dry ducks raingear 12oz, 1 extra shirt, 1fleece or down sweater, 1 long underwear, 1 fleece beanie, 1 pait fleece gloves.

Misc=lighter, small pocket knife, firstaid kit, matches, emergency fire starter, platypus hydration pouch with hose, ipod shuffle, floss, food.

If anyone can see flaws in what I am doing or have a better idea let me know. I can always sell what I have and buy something else. I won't trade in the tents unless the new tent is free standing. I don't do the tarp thing. I would like to go under 8lbs this summer for 2 nights.

We should do an RME trip this summer:cool:.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I can't even imagine going under 8 lbs. I bet my pack weights more than that alone...in fact I'm sure it does.

But I guess 8 lbs you don't really need a frame pack, just a littke handkerchief and a stick to put it over your shoulder.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can't even imagine going under 8 lbs. I bet my pack weights more than that alone...in fact I'm sure it does.

But I guess 8 lbs you don't really need a frame pack, just a littke handkerchief and a stick to put it over your shoulder.

Yeah, I hang the kerchief from the end of a stick and sing song of the south all the way.

A pack is one of the easiest ways to save some weight. The big three- pack, sleeping system, and shelter.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just read through this blast from the past. :) 2008

My pack has changed quite a bit. Luckily there are more manufacturers catering to the ultralight crowd now.

sixstringsteve

From a different thread, relocating here because it belongs here.

I hope this next question is on point with this tread:

So what are the differences with the zpack vs the HMG? From first glance, they seem very similar.

I haven't handled the zpack before, and I've never seen it in person. Just going off the adds, there are the differences I see between the zpacks arc blast and the HMG windrider:

The biggest difference? 1 lb. :) The zpacks arc blast is about half the weight of the HMG. The HMG is a great pack, but there are definitely lighter packs out there.

The zpacks arc blast has a mesh back panel to keep your back from sweating.

The zpacks has a different frame system.

From the pics on the web, the straps of the HMG look beefier. I also like the hip belt pockets on my HMG.

The HMG has a mesh bladder holder inside, where the zpacks has a loop.

HMG has a velcro top closure (which I had them leave out).

Last edited:

jentzschman

I just read through this blast from the past. :) 2008

My pack has changed quite a bit. Luckily there are more manufacturers catering to the ultralight crowd now.

Steve just introduced this thread to me. I will also have to go through it.

While I am by no means a UL backpacker, I am now trying to shave weight. I am really trying to figure out what pack to get first.

I have been introduced to the Jam 50, zpack, and the HMG packs.

The current stove I have is a soto stove. It packs into my cooking system so space is saved. While not as light as a alcohol stove, I have been happy with it so far, but am looking to make a DIY alcohol stove to see how I like using them. (stove w/cooking system is

My current sleeping bag is a down bag rated at +20 and weights in at 41.5 oz
Pad weights in at 19.10 oz
Tent is a tank when compared to UL. Mine right now weights 103.45 oz (6.4 lbs.) This includes the body, fly, footprint, poles, and stakes.
If I use the "UL" system it weights in at 70.7 oz (4.4 lbs) with the footprint, fly, poles, and stakes

Last edited:

ozzy702

Lets talk UL tents. I'm in the market for a large 2 man to 3 man tent. I'll be backpacking with my wife so it needs a floor (IE no tarps), double walled preferably and no more than 4.5 lbs total (ground cloth, stakes, etc). I would love to do a single man tent and be carry a lot less weight but I just wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the price of buying both a single man and 2/3 man tent for backpacking.

So far I like the tarp tent stratospire2 (uses trekking poles) but am open to suggestions. I had a big agnes flycreek 3 but didn't like the single entrance (entrance was too small with the fly on for a single entrance tent with 2-3 dudes) and the floor felt very thin and weak.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL3

http://tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Most of their tents are too heavy to be considered UL but hilleberg tents are top notch quality that will last decades. One of these days I'll drop the hammer on one for winter camping.

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/usa.php

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Hillebergs rock. I can see myself with one someday.

I don't like the way the fly creek's opening dumps right to the floor of the tent. So if it's raining, you open the door and the inside of your tent gets wet.

No experience with tarptent, but I've heard great stuff about them.

Last edited:

ozzy702

Hillebergs rock. I can see myself with one someday.

I don't like the way the fly creek's opening dumps right to the floor of the tent. So if it's raining, you open the door and the inside of your tent gets wet.

The entire entry setup of the fly creek sucks. You're spot on about water coming into the tent. My brother and I used the tent and honestly it did it's job but for the money I just felt like there had to be better options out there, back to REI it went.

ozzy702

Here you go Trevor. These aren't ultralight at all, but they give some good food for thought. Ironically, most of the OGL guys wear HMG packs, but they don't review them.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews

They do a good job and recommend quality gear but be careful when looking at their choices, especially for backpacks. I own a Gregory Baltoro 75 and an Osprey Aether 70 which are both awesome packs and highly rated... but they are both HEAVY TANKS that are built to handle 40lbs+ for years of abuse. It seems like outdoorgearlab still hasn't really caught on with the whole UL backpack review thing.

I honestly find myself using my ULA catalyst about 90% of the time when it's an overnighter. The only thing I would change about the catalyst is it's a bit small, I'd like just a hair more room in the main pack but for 3 season backpacking it's great. Realistically it's smaller size keeps me from packing junk I simply don't need. Many fabulous packs have come out from ULA, Zpacks, gorilla gear, golite, granite gear, hyperlight mountain gear, etc that are honestly better choices than the traditional large, heavy, beefy packs. The exception would be teenagers/scouts and packs you lend people. You want them to be as durable and overbuilt as possible to handle the abuse and lets face it, do you really care if they have to struggle with a few extra pounds to ensure your gear holds up? :)

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Lets talk UL tents. I'm in the market for a large 2 man to 3 man tent. I'll be backpacking with my wife so it needs a floor (IE no tarps), double walled preferably and no more than 4.5 lbs total (ground cloth, stakes, etc). I would love to do a single man tent and be carry a lot less weight but I just wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify the price of buying both a single man and 2/3 man tent for backpacking.

So far I like the tarp tent stratospire2 (uses trekking poles) but am open to suggestions. I had a big agnes flycreek 3 but didn't like the single entrance (entrance was too small with the fly on for a single entrance tent with 2-3 dudes) and the floor felt very thin and weak.

Most of their tents are too heavy to be considered UL but hilleberg tents are top notch quality that will last decades. One of these days I'll drop the hammer on one for winter camping.

Check out the golite imogene. My wife just bought it and we have only set it up in the living room it looks great. Good quality and all the features I like and non extra. I would go for the 3 person if you are looking for a big 2 person. The imogene is pretty small.

http://www.golite.com/Imogene-UL3-Tent-P47001.aspx

Rock Taco

I dont have any personal experience but the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo seems to be a decent design at a good price point. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarDuo.html