Any other ultralight backpackers on RME?

jentzschman

I want to try a tarp, but I will admit I am very hesitant. While I have use my tents "UL" system (~4 lbs total), it offers more coverage then a tarp and for some reason there is peace of mind in that. Still, I'm sure with practice and use, a tarp can be a very practical and useful system.

ozzy702

I hate bugs, rodents and other creepy crawlies. I know that tarps are much lighter and very versatile but I'm a tent kinda guy for that reason. I just need to pull the trigger on a new backpacking tent since I'm currently without one that will work well with my smaller backpacks and more and more often I'm just not using the big packs.

That will change once the kids are older and I start to bring them backpacking and will have to haul a ton of their gear around. Until then I'm enjoying the lighter weight. I was just thinking about it yesterday and my son is about 22lbs which means that with his carrier, food, water, diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc I'm going to be right at 40lbs just for hiking! :eek: My back, legs and shoulders are killing me already just thinking about it. Since my my wife won't let me take him outdoors without her I'm going to be out of practice once mid to late February hits and we start getting back into the swing of things.

I've really been eyeballing those Six moon designs tents as well as the tarptents. Light weight and they appear to be very functional.

sixstringsteve

what do you consider a "real" UL tent? That lightweight material isn't cheap at all. The 4 places you want to spend a good amount of money to lighten your pack:

- tent
- sleeping bag
- pad
- pack

Apart from that, the rest can be lightened up really cheap.

jentzschman

I guess I consider real UL shelter as under 3-4 lbs, but admit I had not given it too much thought. To me at least, under 3 lbs is super light considering my tents "UL" system is 4.4 lbs. That HMG system at 1.84 lbs is stunning.

jentzschman

what do you consider a "real" UL tent? That lightweight material isn't cheap at all. The 4 places you want to spend a good amount of money to lighten your pack:

- tent
- sleeping bag
- pad
- pack

Apart from that, the rest can be lightened up really cheap.

I am HIGHLY thinking about the Jam 50 pack. For ~100 bucks and claimed weight of 1 lb 14 oz, it seems like the best overall value that I can find.
As for the bag, at 2.59 lbs, its not crazy heavy, but not exactly light I don't think by UL standards.
My pad is 19.10 oz so for now it is a decent weight, I think.

sixstringsteve

you won't find anything lighter than the Jam for less than double its cost. Just make sure you like the closure system, fit, and features. It's really tough to go wrong at that price though.

Rock Taco

I am HIGHLY thinking about the Jam 50 pack. For ~100 bucks and claimed weight of 1 lb 14 oz, it seems like the best overall value that I can find.
As for the bag, at 2.59 lbs, its not crazy heavy, but not exactly light I don't think by UL standards.
My pad is 19.10 oz so for now it is a decent weight, I think.

Not trying to make your decision any harder but...

The Granite Gear Virga is only 1lb 3oz and you can get it for about the same price right now at camp saver s 20% off sale. http://www.campsaver.com/virga-pack You would have to order in the next 12 min though.

DAA

I've really been eyeballing those Six moon designs tents as well as the tarptents. Light weight and they appear to be very functional.

I've been rocking a Skyscape, the silnylon Trekker, not the cuben X. Pretty slick little solo tent. With everything, stakes, guyouts, stuff sack and dedicated poles (since I don't do trekking poles), it comes in just under 32 oz.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Not trying to make your decision any harder but...

The Granite Gear Virga is only 1lb 3oz and you can get it for about the same price right now at camp saver s 20% off sale. http://www.campsaver.com/virga-pack You would have to order in the next 12 min though.

I have a Virga and really like it. I cut off the hip belt, ice axe loops, and sternum strap this morning saving 3 oz and it is now 18 oz. Mine is a little older, so the new ones might be lighter.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Here is my skin out set up for a winter overnighter tonight. Skin out means everything including the clothes you are wearing, food, water, shoes, everything. You will see some discrepancies. My wife is coming and some of the gear is split up between us. If this was a solo trip I would add about 20 more ounces to the total.

Winter Overnight Gear List

18 oz. Backpack-Granite Gear Virga
20.8 oz. Sleeping pad-Exped synmat 7 UL
3.2 oz. Sleeping pad- Gossamer gear 1/8”
1.9 oz. Sleeping pad- pump sack Exped Schnozzle
23.1 oz. Sleeping bag- Zpacks 10 degree wide long with stuff sack
1.8 oz. Water storage- Powerade bottle
1.8 oz. Water storage- Powerade bottle
64 oz. Water
23.6 oz. Tent- Golite Imogene (split up)
1.8 oz. Hands- Powderline mittens
.4 oz. Hands- Camp windmit n
1.1 oz. Hands- Glove liners
3.9 oz. Feet- Merino sleep socks
1.9 oz. Feet- Smart wool phd Merino hiking socks
45.9 oz. Feet- Keen Gypsum boots
11.5 oz. Feet- snow chains
7.8 oz. Legs- Sherpa shell pants
15.5 oz. Legs- Millet pants
3.4 oz. Legs- Minus 33 boxer briefs
7.4 oz. Legs- Minus 33 lightweight merino bottoms xl
9.3 oz. Legs- REI gaiters
7.3 oz. Top- Minus 33 lightweight merino xxl
7.8 oz. Top- Golite Ovis merino Shirt xxl
9.5 oz. Top- Sherpa shell jacket xl
7.5 oz. Top- Golite Selkirk down jacket xl
15.5 oz. Top- New balance Fugu down Jacket
14.1 oz. Food- meal, snacks.
0.9 oz. Misc.- Petzl elite headlamp
6.0 oz. Misc.- Earplugs, handwarmers, lighter, medicine, floss
1.1 oz. Head- Black rock gear down hat
4.9 oz. Swim- Pack towel XL
5.0 oz. Swim- shorts

347.7 oz. Total skin out :)

thats 21.7 lbs

Not counting food, water and the stuff I am wearing, my base weigh looks to be around 10 lbs. Not bad for a winter trip.

Last edited:

jentzschman

That is slick Davy. Why 3 pads though? I went to the golite store in trolley square and talked with justin or Jordan... He said he hired your wife. He said she is hard core UL.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

UFAB

That is light..

Now imagine building a buggy under extreme weight restrictions. Think the lightest one I saw was Tracy Jordan.

Think my loaded 5 day pack with water was 45 lbs. Includes an elk canon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That is slick Davy. Why 3 pads though? I went to the golite store in trolley square and talked with justin or Jordan... He said he hired your wife. He said she is hard core UL.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

2 pads and a pad pump. I just listed it under pad cause I didn't know where else to put it. My wife is pretty UL. Her pack this trip as she carried it was 12 lbs with food and water.

DAA

I've been rocking one for a few years. Everything it's cracked up to be. I believe they have made some changes/improvements since I got mine, but I'm totally happy with my H51.

If there is any chance of crossing paths anytime soon you are more than welcome to check it out.

- DAA