Anyone into 3D printing?

STAG

On my grind
Sorry for the shitty pictures.

But I whipped up this little tool/welding helper. It’s got neodymium magnets in it.

I can stick it to steel and it will help keep my TIG welding lead on a good route. It’s sized to where I can still pull the lead through it easily but it can’t fall out on its own without me helping it out.

Basically just to help against snags and getting the lead stuck under tires or what have ye.

It’s printed with ASA so it should be able to withstand a fair amount of heat and not be affected, like welding outside in the direct sunlight, but because of the ASA, I got a poopy / blistery surface finish 😒
98492BCE-7917-4A28-89E1-ACF1DD0BBE95.jpeg
AA6095A2-37D7-45AD-B484-99BBEA6CC351.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
While I also had the ASA in the printer, I whipped up this bottle/cylinder holder for a project. The manufacturer recommended zip ties for holding the bottle to the chassis. I don’t love that idea so I improved.

Full disclosure, this took a few tries to get a decent print. I first started out in PETG and the stringiness was a little too ridiculous to get a decent finish product.

Then I had to change the orientation of the print and mess with the support placement. This one could use another tweak or two but it was useable. The M5 bolts that tighten to clamp the tube in place are just threaded into the plastic. Seems to hold well enough.

8EC87BB0-5DE6-4640-B40E-6303DA6CCD04.jpeg
22AD2F3E-2EA1-4890-9C5F-45BEB94C4DC7.jpeg

ebryson

I got tired of my desk looking like a mess with note pads stacked up and writing utensils everywhere. So I printed this little drawer system for my desk. Fits really well! Now I just need the actual drawers.
20231006_081336.jpg

In total I'm looking at about 86 hours of printing for this thing. I'm actually quite pleased with the way it turned out. Hot wheels car in there for reference on how huge this thing is.
20231008_115814.jpg

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Big block of cheese. (This is not the 45 hr print)
View attachment 164976
Okay it’s not really a model of 5lbs of sharp cheddar.

It is however, a spacer for setting these two 1/2” plates at a specific distance from, and parallel to, each other. Should hold them long enough to get enough tacks and maybe even enough of a weld to hold them in place before the heat transfers in through the plates and tries to melt it.

But where it’s a disposable, 1-time use jig, I figured 3D print was the way to handle it.

AF807B0A-F963-4DB1-80FD-5DE5157183F6.jpeg
4DFE638A-A5E4-4FEF-BC52-4193C220840E.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
Just had my first print failure due to running out of filament. Not sure what happened, the gauge on the side of the filament spool said I had ~300g left on the roll, and the slicer said the part would take 200g.

Print ran out of filament at only 50% finished 🤔