Back in Business: Ferg's Taco Build

theferg

DD for Life
Well, I'm back. Finally. And this time it's a done deal. :D

Picked this sucker up back in August after months of searching all over NorCal (this is pretty much straight from the craigslist ad):

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner, V6, TRD
  • 100,600 Miles
  • Fabtech 3.5 in. lift kit/ dirt logic racing shocks
  • BFgoodrich 33 in. mud terrain tires (just about done for...)
  • Dessert rat powder coated black 16X8 wheels
  • K&N 77 series cold air intake
  • Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system
  • 2x8 in. premier pioneer subwoofers
  • custom subwoofer enclosure
  • Alpine 500 watt amplifier
  • Alpine CDA-9883 head unit w/XM satellite antenna

Over the first few months have:
  • Sold the Fabtech fronts and got some OME nitro sports with 882s (Thanks Kurt and Olly and crew!)
  • sold the k&n and got the stock intake back on
  • Threw on some custom Alcans on the rear
  • added OME shocks in the rear
  • Picked up a Front Range Off Road rear bumper
  • Picked up an ARB for the front
  • Found a killer local deal on some Limited 4Runner 5-star alloys
  • After stewing over which tires for a month or so, decided on 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers.
  • BAMF weld-on sliders (need to go on still)
  • Mercer Fab rear frame plates (need to go on still)

Long-term plans (pretty much a mix of Kurt's and Steve's Tacomas):
  • 4wd conversion (i may hold off on this until I go for my ultimate FJ80 axles conversion one day... )
  • and snorkel
  • and tent
  • and whatever else it takes to pretty much make it the Tacoma twin of my old 3rd Gen 4Runner :D

I've been in SFBay for the past year but we're moving back to Utah in 4 days so the 4wd conversion just moved up high on the priority list.

She rides pretty damn stiff right now with the 882s and alcans and barely any weight. Once I get everything setup right (hoping by summer I'll have it pretty close), i'm fairly certain it will be just about right (and hopefully a couple inches lower....).

I have to say though, I'm not loving the Terra Grapplers. They seem to be pretty slick in the rain here...which makes me think they are going to suck in the Utah snow. Prob give it a month or so and see how they go I guess though.

Here's a day one and a current pic. (and my old 4runner for reference):

Attachments

• posuer.jpg
    posuer.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 69
  • taco_day1.jpg
    taco_day1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
  • tent4.jpg
    tent4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

theferg

DD for Life
Boxing up our junk right now. Loading on Friday and heading out whenever we're done with clean up. :D. Stoked to be coming back--and never leaving again. :p

Be back at the in-law's for a month or two, but my new gig is downtown SLC so we'll be figuring where to settle somewhere up closer that way soon.

theferg

DD for Life
After looking at those three pics in the first post, I have decided I have got to black out those wheels (or go to a different black wheel). Prob wait til I decide if I like the tires, but ya, it needs the blackness.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing this DC Taco in person eventually, I love how clean & functional your builds work out!

theferg

DD for Life
Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing this DC Taco in person eventually, I love how clean & functional your builds work out!

Thanks man! I'm hoping to be getting it out asap.

Cool. I grew up in the bay area. It looks like you've got some great.plans for this rig.

Oh cool. What part? We've been living in Benicia (random hidden gem of a place). We really like it here actually, but there's many many things that we need and need us back in Utah.

I'll be right behind you the following week on moving back.

Oh cool! I'll ride the trails shotgun in your rig until mine's ready to go out... :p

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I will keep my eye's on this! I am currently build up a 2004 double cab. I would love to see yours but on 80 series axles.

theferg

DD for Life
Couple of updates....

• Had the bed sprayed with a nice liner.
  • Picked up a nice tent rack from Lewis (gotta paint it still)
  • Swapped to 255-85/16 BFG KM2s on a set of 16-hole "spare" steelies
  • Added factory RS3200 keyless/alarm (my favorite mod so far :) )
  • Full timing belt kit done and new plugs and wires.

Also picked up a 4x4 auto tranny and j-shift tcase combo in preparation for 4wd conversion. :)

Attachments

• Tacoma-newwheelstires3.jpg
    Tacoma-newwheelstires3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Tacoma-bedline-tentrack.jpg
    Tacoma-bedline-tentrack.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Tacoma-keylessentry.jpg
    Tacoma-keylessentry.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Tacoma-newwheelstires2.jpg
    Tacoma-newwheelstires2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Tacoma-newwheelstires1.jpg
    Tacoma-newwheelstires1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 37

theferg

DD for Life
Looking really good! I didn't realize it was a Prerunner. Are those factory roof rails?

Thanks Steve.

Yep, blasted prerunner--bought it while I was livin in Cali and there weren't many 4x4 ones for sale and they were $4-5000k more. Figured I could convert it for way less than what it was gonna cost to buy it. We'll see I guess but my tranny/tcase only cost $130 so i think im doing pretty good so far. :)

And yes they're factory roof rails. I dig it. Supposedly pretty rare... Pretty much only came on a handful of 2001s and 2002s I think.

theferg

DD for Life
Sweet! Just picked this up from Cruiser Outfitters used parts storage pile! Thanks Kurt! So stoked!

Attachments

• tacomanualfrontend.jpg
    tacomanualfrontend.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 49