Back in Business: Ferg's Taco Build

theferg

DD for Life
She lives!!! All back together minus the rear driveshaft and a speedo sensor. Test drove around the block in front wheel drive and tranny felt like normal. Can't wait to get the rear shaft shortened up and be all donezo.

theferg

DD for Life
Just picked up my truck from having the rear intermediate shaft shortened at Gaylons in Lehi. Ended up being a bit more than I had hoped for as he said they'd have to do a complete new tube cause the neck-down on the ends of the stock tube... from the nets, folks were making it sound like it was no big deal to just have the stocker shortened. I coulda bought a good used one or two or three from a wrecker for less than they charged me, but oh well, I know its good and balanced now all the way back.

Anyway, fully 4 wheel drive now. Just gotta figure out the speed sensor, wire the dash light and get the correct rubber shift boot. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381887805943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381887805943.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 21

theferg

DD for Life
So after making a thread on "how to figure out which speed sensor I need" on several sites, I didn't find any exact info on how to tell other than peak through the hole and count the teeth, which is a difficult task when the case is already on the truck... And which still didn't tell me whether or not mine took a mechanical one or an electric one, but in a few helpful threads, most seemed to think mine should take the electric one.

Soooo.... I made a crazy decision and just bought a random speed sensor on ebay. I found one marked as from a 98 4x4 4cyl A/T. It was marked as 11/32.

When I got it, first step was to see if it fit into the case--miraculously, it fit perfectly. Next step was to extend the wiring ~12 inches or so.

Once done and connected, I fired up the truck and took her for a spin and--Voila! I have a working speedo again!

Now just gotta figure out how close to actual speed it is getting me.... ;)

Also got the OEM rubber shift boot installed today as well.

-Ferg

5y6uba2u.jpg

7yhe3u5u.jpg

Last edited:

theferg

DD for Life
Also, picked up a water and gas can and needed a place to mount them. I'm trying make use of some of the bed area and have been toying with how to mount the cans inside the bed. Ended up getting a dual-can carrier from CBI Offroad and mounted it laying down in the bed. I think I like it. Gonna have to alter the hold down plate so it will hold the water can correctly.

6eha8e5y.jpg

vynate7a.jpg