Bag night challenge 2014

Rock Taco

Guess I better start this before I cant remember.

Total: 9 nights

1 night - Jan 2 @ Diamond Fork Hot Springs with Mesha, Queenofmoab and Sixstringsteve
1 night - Jan 18 @ Valley of the Gods with Fat Tony, Sixstringsteve, and Hardcastle
1 night - March 7 @ The Wedge Overlook with Fat Tony and Sixstringsteve
3 nights - april 10-12 Moab Utah with Mesha and Queenofmoab
3 nights - April 16-19 Bluejohn Canyon with Jentschman, Fat Tony, and Sixstringsteve

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
By the way, my son threw down the gauntlet this weekend during his 8th Bday campout and declared he wants to win this thing!

DAA

Thinking about it, when I was that young, and if nights in the back yard count? Slam dunk. I LOVED sleeping out and terrorizing the neighborhood every night.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thinking about it, when I was that young, and if nights in the back yard count? Slam dunk. I LOVED sleeping out and terrorizing the neighborhood every night.

- DAA

I think that is what he is thinking :) too bad things are a little different now and I am leery to let him sleep out by himself. In the middle of the wilderness no problem, but in town scares me :-(

As a kid I used to practice sleeping in the bathtub to simulate a night on the cold hard ground haha.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

I don't think I will be near the top of this but I like being outdoors. Always in a tent until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a trailer.

So,

January - 1 night in a tent - Rained all night, woke up very wet. (don't use the other guy's "good" tent)

March - 4 nights with the kids in the field behind the house.

April - 1 night Turkey hunting near Chesterfield, ID

Attachments

• Brighams first turkey  Miriams 4-12-14.jpg
    Brighams first turkey Miriams 4-12-14.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 13

Troop92

Total: 4

1 night - Jan 24th @ Crystal Hot Springs near Honeyville, UT
1 night - Feb 21st @ Blacksmith Fork Canyon
1 night - March 21st @ Brigham Peak above Mantua
1 night - May 16th @ Horseshoe Springs in Skull Valley.

Last edited:

queenofmoab

I'll play too!
1 night- Jan 2- Hot pots with Mesha, Sixstringsteve, Rocktaco
2 nights-Jan 18 Monticello, Utah with Mesha
3 nights - April 10-12 Moab, Utah
1 night- April 12th Provo Canyon
1 night- April 18th D's Birthday party campout

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'll play too!
1 night- Jan 2- Hot pots with Mesha, Sixstringsteve, Rocktaco
2 nights-Jan 18 Monticello, Utah with Mesha
3 nights - April 10-12 Moab, Utah
1 night- April 12th Provo Canyon
1 night- April 18th D's Birthday party campout

Hey!!! Good to see you post on here.

DAA

April - 1 night Turkey hunting near Chesterfield, ID

Congrats on the bird! One of my buddies has been going out with his boy almost every night, they've got right into them several times but haven't quite got their crap in the right pile to shoot yet. Tonight is their last chance and I hope they score!

- DAA

ID Bronco

Cole and Dad!.jpg

Congrats on the bird! One of my buddies has been going out with his boy almost every night, they've got right into them several times but haven't quite got their crap in the right pile to shoot yet. Tonight is their last chance and I hope they score!

- DAA

Thanks!!!

Total 8 nights

2 more nights fishing and turkey hunting. Success again! It was really awesome! My boy is 11 yrs old.

These nights we had our 5 kids and my wife and I. It went from the 30's to 78 degrees. Aside from crazy wind, it was perfect!

I love the woods.

sixstringsteve

Total: 19 nights

1 night - Jan 2 @ Diamond Fork Hot Springs with mesha and rocktaco
1 night - Jan 18 @ Vally of the Gods with fat tony, rocktaco, and hardcastle
1 night - Feb 7 @ Boulter Peak (outside Eureka) with fat tony
2 nights - Feb 13-14 @ Yant Flats
1 night - March 7 @ The Wedge Overlook with fat tony and rocktaco
4 nights - March 12-16 @ the Maze with hardcastle and fat tony
1 night - March 29 @ SRS Lone Warrior Campsite with cruiseroutfit, box rocket, and a few other wasatch cruisers hooligans
1 night - April 2 @ backyard testing gear in a snowstorm
1 night - April 5 @ Alpine
1 night - April 11 @ Torrey, UT with Orviskrawler
3 nights - April 16-19 Bluejohn Canyon with jentschman, fat tony, and rock taco
2 nights - May 2-3 Kolob Canyon

IMG_1984.JPG

STAG

On my grind
Question for you Steve. Do you feel this thread is more motivation for you to go camping/sleeping in a sleeping bag?

As in; if this thread didn't exist do you still think you would be at 19 nights? Or possibly a little less.

sixstringsteve

Good question. If this thread didn't exist, I'd have a list on my fridge of all the places I've been this year, and I'd still have a goal to camp 50+ nights for 2014. It's a continuation/improvement of my old goal to wheel or camp once a month. My monthly camping goal really changed my life for the better, and so has this 50+ goal. Getting out in the outdoors brings so much balance to my life that is missing otherwise. It gives me something to look forward to every couple weeks. It reminds me that I work to live, not live to work. Plus my attitude towards life has really changed from all these experiences. I feel like my life has more purpose and I've learned a lot more about myself and what I want out of life; stuff I didn't know I wanted several years ago.

That being said, I don't go camping just for a number. If I weren't tracking my nights and going towards a goal, I would have 18 nights this year. There was one trip where my tracking # pushed me to camp an extra night instead of just heading home. It turned out to be a really good thing, because it turned out to be a lot of fun and I found some awesome campsites that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Never in my life have I wished I had stayed home instead of going camping. I guess any motivation to get out is good for me.

I mainly started this thread to help other people track their nights and set goals to get out. I know when I see DAA getting out almost every weekend it makes me question why I don't get out more, and the more I get out, the more enriched my life is. Additionally, my camping experiences have opened a lot of doors for me and created opportunities I wouldn't have had without it.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Total: 22 nights

1 night - March 29 @ SRS Lone Warrior Campsite with cruiseroutfit, box rocket, and a few other wasatch cruisers hooligans
3 nights - May 7-10 Green River with fat tony

IMG_2049.JPG

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I may be missing the whole point but I think in a camp trailer counts too. True it may not be as hard core as sleeping under the stars but it is still a day in the hills, a night around a fire and just generally enjoying the outdoors. SO, feel free to dismiss my entries if you disagree.

I slept 3 nights in my bag, inside my toy hauler March 20, 21 and 22.
In the toy hauler April 10, 11 and 12.

Total=6

May 16 and 17 in moab.
The wedge may 22
Total 9

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Total: 23 nights

3 nights - May 7-10 Green River with fat tony
1 night - May 23 AF Canyon

IMG_2223.JPG

ID Bronco

Total 8 nights

2 more nights fishing and turkey hunting. Success again! It was really awesome! My boy is 11 yrs old.

These nights we had our 5 kids and my wife and I. It went from the 30's to 78 degrees. Aside from crazy wind, it was perfect!

I love the woods.[/QUOTE]

11 nights now. Three more near the Gilmore Summit in Idaho. Motorcycling, fishing, shooting, ghost towns, Charcoal Kilns, Mine shaft exploring - It was a killer trip.

Attachments

• Scott, Briggs, Alex old cabin 5-24-14.jpg
    Scott, Briggs, Alex old cabin 5-24-14.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Family photo at charcoal kilns.jpg
    Family photo at charcoal kilns.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 11