"Balancing" big nasty swampas

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OK, I've got 38" SXs on my Jeep. I get a LOT of wheel shimmy at about 35-40 mph with the Swampa/H1 wheel combo. I just swapped out a set of H2/MTR wheels/tires last night and the Jeep felt as stable as I could have ever imagined. It might even handle the freeway.

Has anybody had any success with BBs, Equal or ???? to help the Swampas go down the road with any semblance of civility? Or am I stuck with the 35 mph runs back from Pritchett/Behind The Rocks, etc.?

Attachments

• JeepMTRs.jpg
    JeepMTRs.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 48

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
ON a side note how is your width with the H2 rms? From the side shot they don't seem to be sticking out too much more than the H1s.

notajeep

Just me
I had my iroks balanced. It took alot if weight, but it made a very big difference at being able to drive (aired up) at 60mph (that would be downhill with a tail wind, and red lined in 5th gear)
I just had the front balanced. Worth the $20.00. IMHO
Dan

mbryson

Supporting Member
The smooth out about 60:D

Honestly, I have never balanced mine and they aren't terrible once they get warm....but they are a handful when they are cold and lumpy!

Since I don't have a GPS any longer, I'm not sure where the tire shake comes in at. It's not quite 'death wobble' on a coil sprung suspension, but is approaching that. I can't go over about 40-45 mph without feeling like the thing will change lanes at any bump or veer off the road. Not exactly good for the people driving around me or anyone in my vehicle. Cold/lumpy is worse, but it really doesn't seem to change much whether I've got about 1/2 mile vs. 10 miles on the tires. Tire pressure doesn't seem to affect things either.

I might just call my tire guy and see if I can borrow their balancer for a while. Steal some tape weights or something and hope for the best? It'd be interesting to know how far out of balance these big uglies are.

ON a side note how is your width with the H2 rms? From the side shot they don't seem to be sticking out too much more than the H1s.

The rear is still 'acceptable' (not by law, but by the likelihood of getting pulled over--my mudflap is still 'OK' though). It's out of the flare maybe 1"-1.5" or so. The front is 3-4". I'm sure that'll get noticed, but with the 'mild' tread (at least compared to what I'm looking at with the SX) maybe not?

rxcarl5

Just curious does it not have the problem on the dirt? Mine did this same thing but when I got it off in the dirt I had no problem going whatever speed I wanted the trouble was just on the road?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just curious does it not have the problem on the dirt? Mine did this same thing but when I got it off in the dirt I had no problem going whatever speed I wanted the trouble was just on the road?

I haven't driven it that fast 'in the dirt'. That's cruising unless you're on a 'fire road' or similar. It's not been there.

rxcarl5

ok thanks. If you do get it onto a firebreak or something similar and it goes away let me know. I have also thought about the balincing but being on bead locks really didn't know if it would even be worth finding out.

mbryson

Supporting Member
ok thanks. If you do get it onto a firebreak or something similar and it goes away let me know. I have also thought about the balincing but being on bead locks really didn't know if it would even be worth finding out.

I could see it not happening on a less tractable surface. It might be worth balancing your beadlocks? I'm going to try it with tape weights and see if that improves anything.

Meat_

Banned
Guess I lucked out on mine, they are perfectly smooth from 0 to 70mph on dirt or asphalt with no weights.

If you can get to a bubble balancer you can fix them up, if you can't find one get some tape weight and come down here (I have one :greg: )

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Guess I lucked out on mine, they are perfectly smooth from 0 to 70mph on dirt or asphalt with no weights.

If you can get to a bubble balancer you can fix them up, if you can't find one get some tape weight and come down here (I have one :greg: )

You can do this and take some patch weights to stick inside the tire if they are real bad. Then you won't have a big mess of wheel weights....

wr250

insert lame comment
the bb's go to the light spot, once balanced the excess distribute themselves around the rim evenly. i do not run the out of round swampers on the road much, other than to get to the trail anyways.i have some 31's (on spare rims) for that.the swampers are to out of round for a good street ride in any case.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
How about some none balanced Krawlers Marc? :p

2.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member

I'm starting to wonder if it's the 'beadlock' and it not being centered on the wheel. They're pretty close, but I wonder if they're 'close enough'.

I put about 40 miles on it Sat. Pretty fun to drive around without worrying about it doing the 'psuedo' death wobble. At least I know my kingpins, spring bushings and what not are 'OK' and it's probably related to the H1/beadlock/SX combo.