Bart's 99 TJ

I'd prefer this thread stay focused on the TJ and not my vehicular longevity. Picked up this Chili Pepper red 99 TJ up because it fit my needs sooooo much better than my old YJ.

It has:
Auto
A/C
Cruise
SYE
44 rear
Super 30 in the front
ARBs front and rear
4.5" of lift
Tuffy Console
Almost new 35 x 15 MTZs
Full size spare, and the list goes on and on.
I've already put my Warn front bumper on and the Warn 9000i winch I had in the garage. The rear Warn bumper/tire carrier will go on before EJS.

As with any rig I can't be satisfied until I make it mine. I picked up a used GenRight tank and have started planning the wheelbase stretch. I ordered the rear stretch corners from GenRight today and have a set of their rear control arms coming before EJS. After that it will get a Tera belly up and front long arm suspension. It will also get some good shocks. The wheelbase should be right around 100" when all is said and done.

Those are really the only mods I have planned for this rig. I want to be able to drive 80 on the freeway, wheel it in Moab, haul my clubs to the golf course, and maybe do some exploration.

Attachments

• 99TJ.jpg
    99TJ.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

mierdota

looks good bart i love that color with the tan hard top that always has been one of my favorite color combos for a jeep

Bart

Welp, since I can't leave anything alone, this is finally getting the GenRight stretch that I've been sitting on since last Easter. Last week I started fitting the new corners and marking the wheel wells for cuts. This week I'll put it on a lift and start the hard stuff. Can't wait to get the new suspension under it.

Bart

So in other words you're going to be building the same Jeep you sold a few years back?.....

I wish I had the drive and ambition to build that Jeep again, but sadly I don't. I would love to have it back. This stretch will consist of the shorter GenRight gas tank, GR corners, and GR long arm suspension in the rear. It will push the rear axle back about 5 inches, but keep the tub the same so I don't have to mess with modified tops.

After this is finished I'll eventually do the front long arm with a belly up skid. I'd like to figure out a way to push the front axle forward more than 3", but will probably settle for that. After that the rig should be finished. :rofl: Are they ever finished? :greg:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I wish I had the drive and ambition to build that Jeep again, but sadly I don't. I would love to have it back. This stretch will consist of the shorter GenRight gas tank, GR corners, and GR long arm suspension in the rear. It will push the rear axle back about 5 inches, but keep the tub the same so I don't have to mess with modified tops.

After this is finished I'll eventually do the front long arm with a belly up skid. I'd like to figure out a way to push the front axle forward more than 3", but will probably settle for that. After that the rig should be finished. :rofl: Are they ever finished? :greg:

Glad to see your finally working on this! Pics? I really wish my Jeep was still setup this way, and on 35's... But I guess I'm getting closer with a set of 37's going on it :ugh: There's just no place to go up here.

I think I'm about 5" forward with OTK steering - drag link is in furthest hole and tie rod is in stock location. Bad part is I don't have as much up travel as I'd like - track bar hits the pumpkin....

Bart

Glad to see your finally working on this! Pics? I really wish my Jeep was still setup this way, and on 35's... But I guess I'm getting closer with a set of 37's going on it :ugh: There's just no place to go up here.

I think I'm about 5" forward with OTK steering - drag link is in furthest hole and tie rod is in stock location. Bad part is I don't have as much up travel as I'd like - track bar hits the pumpkin....

I keep thinking of going to 37s, but just can't justify it at the moment. I think I'll keep the front at 3" for now and keep the travel. I pushed the LTJ to 3" and it worked well. That should give me a 101" wheel base.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Looks good. I would go with 35's stretch the frame, make it 6x6, and paint it green. Kidding.......:rofl: I like it the way it is.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I came across this vid the other day, pritchet with some snow,That was a fun day!
the guy in the clip that is giving some of the guys a spot, was my close friend.
He had a bad accident at work (rocky mnt welding) and died this july. (kerry crystal)

[YOUTUBE]54jbO-Y3Ij8[/YOUTUBE]

BTW that was a cool buggy!

Last edited:

Bart

Bummer to hear about friend. That vid was supposed to be a teaser about a whole trail library Got Rocks was going to do. Sure would have been a fun project.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Bummer to hear about friend. That vid was supposed to be a teaser about a whole trail library Got Rocks was going to do. Sure would have been a fun project.

Yeh that would have been cool!
don gave me a copy of some of the rough cuts, that they took that day.
I pulled them out, after seeing this clip.
you had a couple of pretty fun lines in your buggy!

Bart

Baby got new shoes. Some new TrailReady beadlocks and some 35 x 17 Maxxis Treps. Can't wait to wheel it.

Attachments

• shoes.jpg
    shoes.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 77

Bart

Plans for the TJ took a turn last week. Decided if I was going to the trouble of swapping in a new front axle, I'd drop in a full width 60 instead of a narrowed 44. This brings a whole new set of problems because this will always remain a street legal rig.

I will be stretching the wheelbase (105 to 108ish) and selling parts of the GenRight stretch kit. The tub will be shortened to an extended cab length and the rear will be different from anything I've ever seen. I'll keep that part quiet until I finalize plans.

I keep thinking this will be the last TJ I'll build so I want to make it unique and extremely capable. Stay tuned. I think it will go under the knife this winter.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I keep thinking this will be the last TJ I'll build so I want to make it unique and extremely capable. Stay tuned. I think it will go under the knife this winter.

That's a good one....I think we have all heard that come out of your mouth before. So you will build it then sell it off like the rest of them right?