Becoming a minimalist

rondo

rondo
-watched the video and I realized that it applies to my collecting jeep parts :)
I really gotta get my treasure (wife says junk) collecting under control. after moving twice in the last year+ and reducing clutter, including selling three WW2 Jeep junkers, I've now got a bigger lot and more storage space which resulted in another #$% GPW that was too good to pass up, a Dodge WC3 and WC6. :p

it sounds like you spend a lot of time in contemplation. You might want to read "what men are like" by Lough and Sanford". its based on Jungian psychology and you will love it IF you are the type who spends a lot of time in introspection.

sixstringsteve

Amazon Prime day is today, and I now have zero temptation to go browsing for deals. If I didn't need it yesterday, I don't need it today.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Amazon Prime day is today, and I now have zero temptation to go browsing for deals. If I didn't need it yesterday, I don't need it today.

I've been browsing, and trying to keep that mentality. So far i've restrained myself, now i'm going to head to a lake somewhere to reduce the temptation further.

sixstringsteve

if i were to browse, then I'm sure I'd find something I "need", so I'm staying away. :)

Those marketing guys are good at what they do!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

It sucks I was expecting something more. About the only difference between today and any other day is their servers keeps crashing. If it isn't part of the sale the rest of the site has gone up in price.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Oh man. I don't have the disease like Jeeper, but I have it.

I'm in on the purge. Look for some for sale threads and free threads soon...

About 3 or 4 years ago I realized I didn't want more stuff, I want better stuff.
So if it's worth buying and keeping it's worth investing in a better version of the thing I need/ want.
Case in point. I have a 3 drills, 1 sucks, get rid of 2 of them and keep only the best one.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Being that I live in 660 square feet, I've done pretty well downsizing my stuff. When I moved last time I ended up loading lots of big bags of clothes. It came down to "have I worn this in the last 6 months" and if the answer was no, and it had no "significant" sentimental value, it was gone. I still have what I consider a stupid amount of shoes (like 15 pairs), but I do use pretty much all of them for a purpose. The study of consumerism and minimalism is interesting, and I think most people can attest that your possessions really possess you. I think everyone has their balancing point between stuff that they buy/use and not having stuff. Personally, there is some satisfaction in purchasing something I want and enjoying it's use, even though it's really not a necessary thing for life.

If you're interested in consumerism, conspicuous consumption, pecuniary emulation etc, you should read Veblen's "The Theory of the Leisure Class". He's basically the father of all of those concepts.

Cody

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
The minimalist in me had a little moment of weakness this evening.. I went 'looking' at a dirt bike and came home with 3 and a quad!
two steps forward and one step back is still forward progress, right???

IMG_4397[1].JPGIMG_4399[1].JPGIMG_4398[1].JPG

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
One thing I heard Garage Journal that I try to apply all the time is, if it cost less than $100 and you haven't used it in the last year, get rid of it. It will cost you more to store/organize these items than to replace them should the need arise. Good luck with the reduction Brian, I will be following this closely.

If you haven't watched Steve's videos, I highly recommend you check them out. Very insightful.