Becoming a minimalist

sixstringsteve

I often wondered what it'd be like if my wife weren't on the same page as me in minimalism yet. I remember my parents saying "this Christmas we'll be downscalign because Christmas shouldn't be about the presents, and you already have too much stuff." I just about died as a kid, that was the WORST NEWS EVER. It'd be tough with kids, because you can't expect a kid to have a minimalist mindset.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I see a yamaha swing arm in there. You can through that out, you're an orange guy now!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I was going to message you. I've got a lot of parts for that year bike, which is the same as that 125 you have.

jeeper

I made some great progress tonight. I have a garage at one of our rentals that has been the 'catch all' / storage unit for multiple years. I came home with a trailer load of 'stuff' to be sold/trashed/scrapped.

It really is amazing how all this stuff I have used to bring me some sort of (false) comfort, but now is just in my way.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I need to do some major cleaning in my shop. I haven't cleaned up after the 32 build and some of my projects have overflowed into the garage. Having too much fun driving around .
Maybe by winter I'll make some progress.

jeeper

Here's one for you. I have this hat. I got it in December at a friends daughters B-day party. I like it because it is silly. I wore it to Capitol Reef back in march just for fun. I have 2 good sun hats already. I will never wear this as a functional hat camping or working. It serves only 1 purpose to me, which is to bring Humor to wherever I MIGHT wear it. So I decided to toss it.

Then, WHAAAAMM!!! it hits me: What if I get invited to a Hawaiian party in the future? I will NEED this! Maybe I can store it in the basement somewhere!

Then, SNAP.. back to reality... I can replace it in the future if I need another one.

.. WHAAAM! But what if I can't find a similar one!! What if they are more expensive than I want to pay!

How does a person win this inner battle??

IMG_4651[1].JPG

rholbrook

Give it to me and I will store it with all my fly fishing hats I dont wear and if you need it, let me know and I will let you borrow it with all my Hawian crap I have in the basement that we only use once a year at Lake Powell for one of our theme night diners. I have a hula skirt and a coconut manzier you can use with it.

sixstringsteve

I'm finally starting to feel like a minimalist now.

[video=youtube;tG0pzoh5BLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG0pzoh5BLc&index=11&list=PLWysv3wFKyy51uoVI85jdvMAEPOcmA6hr[/video]

It's amazing how much money we're saving by living simpler. Somehow I don't feel the urge to just spend and spend. I make rational (not emotional) purchases, which I never thought I'd be able to do in my life. While it doesn't solve all of life's problems, my life is much simpler now, which is a good thing.

jeeper

Great job Steve!

On thing I noticed, is that nothing in your storage shed was extremely valuable. Meaning, if you decide this current adventure doesn't work or feel right, anything can be repurchased as needed.

sixstringsteve

We've sold all the valuable stuff.

I still have some good tools: drill press, a nice miller welder, metal band saw, and my entire tool chest. But I've sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff, and it feels great. It's freed up a lot of time and emotional stress that I didn't realize I felt.

Aside from those tools, everything I own fits in a 10'x10' box or trailer. That' a good feeling.