Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Minimal rubber? You must be referring to this? I had 3 tires off the ground for 2 hours :p

I'll work on the trip summary tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20101128_123019.jpg
    IMG_20101128_123019.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 115

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I decided to post the maiden voyage trip report in it's own thread, which can be found here...

There's still some work left on the TJ, but I am ecstatic with the end result after it's first trip out. After having it out wheeling the first time, all the problems and issues I've dealt with as this build progressed vanished. I no longer hold any resentment to anyone for wasted time/money that has gone into this project.

The one person that has sacrificed the most has been Kami. Without her, I wouldn't have dreamed of building this TJ. She supported me when I had crappy nights in the garage, after coming in the house cussing up a storm, she was always able to calm me down and make me more optimistic about the situation.

kami.jpg

There are also a few friends who really came through when I needed it. Sometimes it was calls in the middle of the night with random questions about how to setup a coilover, or steering questions, or dropping everything else to help load a jeep onto a trailer when it wasn't even sitting on it's own weight yet. Huge thanks to Casey Beach who sacrificed a lot of his own personal time to get this build going initially. Also, Chris (yellowbronco) Chad Schoon and Garrick (jevyguy) for random stuff that you guys were always willing to help with. Seriously, I owe all of you guys big time, don't hesitate to call when you're in a bind.

There were also some really cool vendors out there who always got me out parts as quick as possible. A few that come to mind were BTF, Genright, RuffStuff, Advanced Adapters, Polyperformance, Off Road Warehouse... There are a bunch others as well.

Last edited:

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
I decided to post the maiden voyage trip report in it's own thread, which can be found here...

There's still some work left on the TJ, but I am ecstatic with the end result after it's first trip out. After having it out wheeling the first time, all the problems and issues I've dealt with as this build progressed vanished. I no longer hold any resentment to anyone for wasted time/money that has gone into this project.

The one person that has sacrificed the most has been Kami. Without her, I wouldn't have dreamed of building this TJ. She supported me when I had crappy nights in the garage, after coming in the house cussing up a storm, she was always able to calm me down and make me more optimistic about the situation.

kami.jpg

There are also a few friends who really came through when I needed it. Sometimes it was calls in the middle of the night with random questions about how to setup a coilover, or steering questions, or dropping everything else to help load a jeep onto a trailer when it wasn't even sitting on it's own weight yet. Huge thanks to Casey Beach who sacrificed a lot of his own personal time to get this build going initially. Also, Chris (yellowbronco) Chad Schoon and Garrick (jevyguy) for random stuff that you guys were always willing to help with. Seriously, I owe all of you guys big time, don't hesitate to call when you're in a bind.

There were also some really cool vendors out there who always got me out parts as quick as possible. A few that come to mind were BTF, Genright, RuffStuff, Advanced Adapters, Polyperformance, Off Road Warehouse... There are a bunch others as well.

Happy to help anytime! Im glad to see its exactly what you wanted and your trip went well. I think its a huge step for ya and it looks awesome! There is a ton of hard work that go into these things and I just dont think you will ever understand unless you do it on your own. Thanks for thanking me but your the one that put up with everything and made the sacrifices to make it all come together. So in closing you did a great job cant wait to go wheeling with ya!!:D

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
Minimal rubber? You must be referring to this? I had 3 tires off the ground for 2 hours :p

I'll work on the trip summary tonight.

This is kinda a bummer. Hope it didnt hurt your trailer??

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

kami.jpg

:cool:

Good for you Ben!

Max Power

Bryce
Looks like a good time. You always end up remembering the trip problems you had down the road such as getting your trailer back on the road.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Finally found the motivation to tear into this again, just in time for wheeling season :rolleyes: I had a hard time working on it this winter, but we were able to get the jeep out a few times since Farmington. A few issues came up that made it obvious I need to tear it down to finish it.

I've got a pretty long list of things to finish, but I'm going to do it all in smaller steps so we can still wheel regularly. The first step was to tear down the front end. I'll be dropping the radiator and raking it back about 20*, I wanted to do this so it is lower than the interior grill hoop. After much debate, I'm not going to do any sort of exterior grill hoop or stinger. I love the look of the front end without it, and we'll probably end up replacing the hood every few years. Then mount headlights, skin the tube fenders, and paint.

Not bad progress for night #1 Anyone know where to get some long jackstands?

Jezzy007.jpg

RockChucker

hobo freight has some pretty big jack stands if i remember correctly. i love your build. and in know how hard it is to keep motivated. this year my jeep will be undergoing some changes as well. some of it is above me right now, and it will probably be discouraging but i have to look to how much better it will be wheelin!

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
It's a bit ghetto, but you can make taller jackstands real easy if you have some loose steel wheels hanging around. Burn the stand onto the rim, and bobs your uncle. A bit harder to store out of the way afterwards, but makes a heck of a stable platform.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Black never looked so good. Now I just have to get it back together for a family trip to Little Sahara this weekend :eek:

Since last update:
  • Rebuilt radiator mount, dropped a few inches and raked back, no longer in harms way
  • Finished headlight/ballast mounts (not wired yet)
  • Built a fairlead mount plate
  • Complained about cold weather, and used that as an excuse to not paint until last minute
  • Painted tonight :D

Attachments

• DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 84

thenag

I don't know how I missed this whole build thread.

Tanja and I are just beginning to build up our XJ. This thread reminds me of us and our upcoming build and gives me motivation. (d-60, 14 bolt, spending lots of money, we tool around in a civic to save gas...) (except your jeep is badder ass than our xj will be...)

I am sure you remember us we did Golden Spike with you guys 2 or 3 years ago in a white and blue bronco. The bronco is now dismantled, most of it sold off. The d-60 and 14 bolt are going under an xj.

of course (famous last words) ours won't take as long as yours... we'll believe it when we see it right? :rofl:

link to dismantling the bronco
https://picasaweb.google.com/thenag/BroncoGoByeBye?feat=directlink

few links of what has been done to the xj so far. I will start build thread when I have more parts.
https://picasaweb.google.com/thenag

Glad you guys are doing well, hope to see you on the trail...

Nathan

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The rig looks great benjy!

Thanks!

I am sure you remember us we did Golden Spike with you guys 2 or 3 years ago in a white and blue bronco. The bronco is now dismantled, most of it sold off. The d-60 and 14 bolt are going under an xj.

Do I recall correctly? Was that trip your honeymoon? The XJ sounds like a fun build, should be a lot more nimble than the bronco.

I worked on it quite a bit this week to get the front end back together after paint for a quick trip yesterday and it definitely paid off. The family was down at Little Sahara sand dunes for spring break, and we met up with them Saturday morning.

DSC00062.jpg

This was really our first experience in a go fast setting with our jeep. We railed on it all day, non stop on the rev limiter, and I couldn't be happier with how it performed.

One of my favorite parts was letting my little bro in the law drive it. He injured his shoulder riding awhile ago, so he wasn't able to go riding with everyone else, but he was still able to have fun in our jeep.

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

Started getting brave and got the tires off the ground a few times. Nothing serious, but it was fun :) Airbumps work well

[YOUTUBE]9AJ7HXa37RU[/YOUTUBE]