Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I missed a step :eek:

After the frame was cut off, a section of the tub was clearanced.

First Casey taped it off. A 3" section was removed.

2009-12-05150640.jpg

Then I went to town with the sawzall

2009-12-05151138.jpg

And the finished product

2009-12-05164055.jpg

2009-12-05165254.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This family is super excited for you!! Just make sure the glove box has a pack of cards in it.....very important mod right there. :rofl:

Definitely high on the priority list :D

they do nice work

Keep watching... ;)

I am glad to here that there is finally some progress. Went with coil overs instead of coils hu? :) Can't wait to see it, and go wheel with you two again.

The coilover decision was based on not wanting to revisit the same work twice down the road. That and we were prepared to spend the money when it came time to order parts. I also remember having the 35 spline conversation with you awhile ago... That actually worked out really well for us by buying used chromo stuff, detroit, and drive flanges from Casper Customers :)

plus no date nights means money towards the jeep. :D

partly true, it's the scrapbooking supplies that really add up haha. You'd be amazed how much the charge for a gizmo that cuts out fancy shapes of paper :rofl:

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
The rear axle is in place with all the new links and brackets. The front is setting under the front all centered. Im waiting for a few parts to arrive. Then the front end will be set up and the front half of the frame will be cut off. The new frame will be built higher than stock for more up travel and low ride height. This will allow for the most clearance possible.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
We pulled the D60 from an '86 dually about a year ago. We thought we'd try to get our neighbors to like us better by pulling the front end and leaving it on jackstands in the street. I purchased the truck for $600, sold a few things off of it, and some guy with wrecker picked up the rest for $250 :cool:

ford001.jpg

I picked up most of the parts to build the front end from Casper Customs, along with a ginormous 14 bolt. After snapping his one ton chromo shafts, he decided he needed to upgrade. I spent some time cleaning up both axles and pulling the drums from the 14B. Casey built all the brackets and rear truss, and mocked up and tacked in the lower links both front and rear.

2010-01-30110024.jpg

2010-01-30105818.jpg

2010-01-30110004.jpg

2010-01-30105609.jpg

2010-01-30105738.jpg

Cell phone pics :-\ BHR and gang are all down in St. George wheeling -_- and took the nice shop camera with them :rolleyes: All this while Kami and I finalize their EOY :wtf:

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Very cooooollll!!!! And I agree, :wtf: lol

EDIT:
Oh, on those front links, is the mount directly under the frame or is it just inside/outside? And is it goign to be a 3 link w/panhard?

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Oh, on those front links, is the mount directly under the frame or is it just inside/outside? And is it goign to be a 3 link w/panhard?

They're mounted directly under the frame, and it will be a 3 link w/panhard :)

Looking great!

It was nice to meet you yesterday!

Keep up the great work!

Nice to meet you, too :cool: Thanks for holding on to those things for me!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Make sure you weld those 14 bolt tubes, saw one twist again this weekend. That is the weak point on the 14B.

Looks good!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
More progress!

A little more frame removed :eek: I'm really excited to see the front end come together, Casey is an artist. As I stated in the original post, we're building this around future plans for a V8, so we ordered a PWR radiator for a 5.3 or 6.0 and the front end will be built around that.

WedFeb03131300AmericaDenver2010.jpg

WedFeb03130042AmericaDenver2010.jpg

The rear bumper is also tacked in.

WedFeb03130035AmericaDenver2010.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking good Ben & Kami, can't wait to see how that front frame turns out! :greg:

You can get a jump on that V8 swap... I have a low-mile 5.3l in my garage that I have listed for $800. :D

BenHanksRacing1

BenHanksRacing.com
Ha Ha that is my old rig and yes that motor was a pig! Now I know better More power!!!! ...any how aren't you the guy that had a 400hp Chevy in a CJ-5 15 years ago? Besides my guy from Montana with the turn key FJ wants it can you bring it down?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ha Ha that is my old rig and yes that motor was a pig! Now I know better More power!!!! ...any how aren't you the guy that had a 400hp Chevy in a CJ-5 15 years ago? Besides my guy from Montana with the turn key FJ wants it can you bring it down?

Those supercharged 3.8's are cool, but not massive power-houses. Now a Grand National 3.8 with a turbo, that's a different story!

Hell yeah, I loved that 400hp CJ5! Pulled the driver-front tire off the ground in every gear! Wish I had it still... it was no rock crawler though.

I think for the money, $800 for a 300HP 5.3l is a pretty good deal. Is your guy in Montana the one that called me? I haven't heard back from him for a week now. I've had enough people call me and say they want it, then not follow thru. I'm getting tired of that... first person to put cash in my hands gets it. Hate to be that way, but I'm getting tired of being jerked around. I don't have any plans to come up to SLC again soon either, was just up there 2 weeks ago and offered to deliver the engine no charge. Nobody took me up on the offer.

Sorry for the hijack Benjy, back to your build thread... :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The passenger side frame has been plated on the inside, but not yet the outside.

IMG_1164.jpg

Here you can see how much was notched out of the grill to get the frame rail this high:

IMG_1165.jpg

Drivers side already plated on the outside.

IMG_1166.jpg

And here is a top view, to get an idea of the angles that we've used to clear the coilovers and airbumps.

IMG_1174.jpg

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Looks good!
What are your plans for a trackbar? Run from the passenger frame to the driver axle? I ask because you already have your upper link mount on the passenger axle tube.