Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Last week the dust was blown off this build (literally, it was quite funny).

Casey made some major progress on the front end. He finished welding the driver's side frame. The links and the track bar was also all mocked up and tacked in. We're waiting on tubing to make the shock hoops.

tbar.jpg

Other miscellaneous items were taken care of. Disc brake rotors and calipers were installed on the dirty 14 bolt, the grill was shelled out, the corner guards (blanks) were mounted, and the wheel well was cut out on the passenger side.

grill.jpg

overall.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Boat sides! Sorry for the out of focus pictures :-\

Here's a side shot to show how much tub was removed.

bs3.jpg

I helped Casey mount these massive beasts...

bs1.jpg

Before and after pictures

frontned.jpg

bs2.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking real good Ben, I love how you guys raised the front frame rails into the grill, that's brilliant! Looks like it's coming along well. :cool:

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
Looking real good Ben, I love how you guys raised the front frame rails into the grill, that's brilliant! Looks like it's coming along well. :cool:

Thanks! I raised the front frame rails and pitched them in to clear the shocks and front axle. Im shooting for about eight inches of up travel!:D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Looks like the boat sides will be welded to the frame? Also the body mounts were cut off. So the boat side will be the body support as well? Will the cage tie into the frame? Will the b-pillar tie into the boat side?

Just getting ideas here. I may have to go over and take a look at it if no one minds.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Looks like the boat sides will be welded to the frame? Also the body mounts were cut off. So the boat side will be the body support as well? Will the cage tie into the frame? Will the b-pillar tie into the boat side?

Just getting ideas here. I may have to go over and take a look at it if no one minds.

Yes to all 4 questions :D

Lifelong Jeeper

When you solid mount the frame and body like that...does it destroy the ride or what would be the effects in that regard on a daily driver? Recommended, not recommended?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I doubt you would notice a difference on a modified rig. The first cage in our tj was welded to the frame and sandwiched between the tub on the a and b pillars. It was a DD for a few years and I didn't think it had much of an effect on the ride.

As far as updates, the cage is getting finished up, I just don't have any pics...

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
We decided to take this build a different direction.... about 30 miles south ;) Last week Kami and I had a serious discussion about the build, and decided we would be best off bringing it home and finishing it up ourselves. There were a lot of factors that played into this decision, and I won't be going into further detail in this thread. Casey had wrapped up most of the technical work that we would have not been able to do on our own (granted, I'll still be getting help from some good friends :) ).

The links were all just tacked in, so Casey stitch welded all the brackets, made some custom suspension, and with Chad and Casey's help we dragged her onto the trailer.

2010-07-13195240.jpg

Large pile of parts in one half of the garage.

DSCN2555.jpg

The jeep in the other half.

DSCN2564-1.jpg

We'll be trying to maintain the quality of build that Casey has done up to this point.

I'm hoping the overall format and concept of this thread shifts more toward a thread of questions/thoughts/ideas where I can tap some RME wisdom. I'll be posting more frequent updates, and lots of questions, so return often :D Expected completion has been pushed back. I'm hoping to have it wheeling in October. I have other commitments through the first week or two in August, but after that I plan on working on it ~30 hours/week.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I dig that solid mount suspension :D flex is over rated.

let me know if you need a hand. I'm free some Saturdays

:rofl: The rear was even better. A 2x4 between the frame rail and upper control arms.

I'll take you up on that. I'll let you know when I can use your help ;)