Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

UFAB

The TACH will be VSS digital feed, not cheap.

The plastic/nylon lines work great, no worries. Just think how great the ARB air nylon lines work.. lol PTFE is almost as cheap

Get a bluetooth elm327 for your OBDII port, buy a tablet for 99 bucks, download the torque app and you got all your gauges... Done! There are black boxes to interface more sensor inputs.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The TACH will be VSS digital feed, not cheap.

The plastic/nylon lines work great, no worries. Just think how great the ARB air nylon lines work.. lol PTFE is almost as cheap

Get a bluetooth elm327 for your OBDII port, buy a tablet for 99 bucks, download the torque app and you got all your gauges... Done! There are black boxes to interface more sensor inputs.

TAC not Tach :D Throttle Actuator Control for DBW. I'm not planning on running VSS.

I plan on getting a bluetooth OBDII plug... but I believe the only reading that goes through the PCM is for the tach. Oil pressure, speed and engine temp will all be run independently.

UFAB

Re: Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

Keeping it simple makes it easy to operate and use. The harness for your 6.0 from the PCM can have wires setup for tach, tcc lockup, speedo, idiot lights.

H2O sensor on the passenger rear head. Use metric adapter, autometer 2277

Try to get the e85 injectors, makes for a richer tune.

Sounds fun, welcome to the LS1Tech forum...

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome Ben! I think the LQ4 and an auto will make the TJ so much more fun to drive! Can't wait to see it when it's back together.

Bart

Very cool on the drivetrain transplant. That rod know was getting BAD. Look us up at KOH. I'm with the Sexton Off Road team and we've got the 236 Rugged Ridge Rd pit.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
U fab knows his stuff when it comes to the LQ4 motors and lS1's. He is right about the torq app it is amazing i use it to view all my vitals and diagnois drivabiltiy problems all the time at my shop and on my rigs and i use th elm327 blue tooth adapter. Looks like the motor and tranny swap will be great hope to see you at KOH of the hammers i will have my rig down there and will be at the team ADS tent

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Didn't make it in time for KOH, and decided we'd rather not go w/out the jeep. So I got some work done on it instead :cool:

Our dash was in rough shape, and with the switch panel and gauge changes this was good timing to do a flat panel dash. It's amazing how much visibility we will gain by lowering the dash bar. Here's a before pic (on Britney):

DSC00977.jpg

After pulling all the plastic:

olddb.jpg

Now:

newdb.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nice! I like the lowered dash bar a lot more. Looks good. Are you going to put the plastic back in or do a custom dash?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Custom dash. I'm still trying to figure out the right look. Initially I was going to do a completely flat dash, but Kami wouldn't be able to reach the switch panel (ignition) while strapped in. I'm going to skin this with poster board to see if I like the look.

newdash.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Any updates on this build?

And do you have any more wheeling pictures you could share?

Looking at your rig make me want to get out and work on mine.

After not finishing in time to go down to KOH, build mode has entered snail pace. I have still been working on it a few nights a week, but it's slow going. I got the atlas remounted a few nights ago, only to realize that I badly need a clocking ring so I can do a flat belly pan.

Here are a few of my favorites from the last few years:

OSRC2-1.jpg

DSC00880-1.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

OSRC4.jpg

DSC00856-1.jpg

OSRC3.jpg

DSC00847-1.jpg

DSC00642-1.jpg

DSC00668-1.jpg

DSC00449.jpg