Bench Racing; New Daily Driver, diesel powered 4x4 truck

Greg

Wanderlusting
Admin
I may have hauled home a 2002 ALH 1.9 TDI with 80k miles on it the other day... :eek::p It came complete with the wiring harness, ECU & throttle pedal.

Need to finish a few other projects before starting this one, but in the mean time I can gather parts. ;) Planning on some big injectors (Race 520 Nozzles, +163% over stock, 140 - 230hp ), a big turbo ( Garrett GT1752 hybrid turbo ) and a Malone Stage 4 tune, plus a PD150 intake. I'll run a good sized intercooler and 2.5" exhaust, probably straight piped so I can hear the turbo singing!

I really want to put it in a S10 like mentioned above, 4x4, manual transmission, extended cab, etc.

Greg

Wanderlusting
Admin
where the hell did you dig up an '02 with 80k......
:D

I'm not interested in a LS S10, but a TDI S10 is the goal here.

**Edit** - I realize you're responding to Marc... :)

Last edited:

Toad

Yes I was referring to Marc. I like your idea of a TDI 10. Would make a great exploring rig if you can get everything to function as OEM. Heat, ac, cruise, instrument cluster/dash.

Greg

Wanderlusting
Admin
So I found a '06 Ford Explorer Sport Trac locally with a manual transmission (super rare), it's White and the body looks decent.... and it's CHEAP. The interior is rough, but it could be cleaned up. I think I could use it for a Winter DD and eventually swap the TDI into it, when I'm ready. It would be almost 1000#'s more than a extended cab S10, but I think the VW TDI would still push it around fine. The guy making adapters makes one for the Ford at the same price.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
'06 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
I own a chevy and ford in this year range, ford interior is far superior IMO. Chevy has had the same feeling interior since the 80's.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
I should throw a motor like this in the extra Willy’s I have in the back yard. :)

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Premium Member
I always thought the Sport Trac would make a cool base for a crawler build. DO EEET!

Greg

Wanderlusting
Admin
I should throw a motor like this in the extra Willy’s I have in the back yard. :)
It would be pretty neat to run the TDI as a mechanical engine in my '48 CJ2a... I'd also run the TH350 I have (from the El Camino), then the Dana 300 that I picked up awhile ago. I have mid-70's CJ axles (Model 20 and Dana 30) as well, which should be a little more modern. If I did all that, I'd have a Flatty that was much easier to drive, had a mechanical TDI under the hood, more torque and MPG, better gearing (add a 4 to 1 to the 300) and gears that are better for road speeds.

Diesel_Zuk

I sold an 03 ALH with 88k for $900 a few months back, it came out of a new beetle that got wrecked. Some people just don't seem to drive anywhere. I can easily do 20k a year, I don't understand how other people can drive so little. Congrats on the motor find! Can't wait to see how this comes out!

Greg

Wanderlusting
Admin
So just a thought.... I have this ALH TDI engine, instead of a pickup I wonder how well a TJ would work for my needs as a work DD?

Obviously a TJ will drive like a Jeep on the freeway, short wheelbase isn't going to help. I think I'd keep is close to stock height, perhaps 1.5"-2" lift just to fit 32's. I think a heavy anti-sway bar, good shocks and more street-oriented tires would all help it drive well. I realize it'll still be a Jeep, but as a DD for my needs I think it could be tolerable?

Plenty of people have swapped TDI's into TJ's, XJ's, etc.... you can get an adapter from the guy mentioned for $1200. You can retain the AX-15 and rest of the drivetrain, keeping costs down. With the bigger turbo, injectors and tune mentioned 300+ ft/lbs should be easy to meet and will move a TJ very well, better than the 4.0! And get 35 MPG without trying too hard, which would be great.