Best GPS for backcountry/4x4 use?

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Sounds good to me, good idea! :cool: You want to start it?

Sure, one question, Should we have a sub forum under tech talk or under expedition that is dedicated to product reviews? Or should I just start a GPS product review thread? Gotta obey the rules right?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to update this after I have some trail-time with this unit.

I am, please do.

I'm also curious for an update.

I am also interested! going to Moab in a week and was thinking of getting a GPS that falls into the same requirements you have, before I go, so please update.

Here's my unoffical review of the Garmin Zumo-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=612593&postcount=9

I have a friend that uses a lawrence baja 500. it was designed with off roaders in mind. and as soon as i finish my build i plan to pick one up. look into this one before buying anything else. only draw back is the price. or you can go with the 7 inch screen version baja 700

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Any update on this Greg? How is it holding up and working?

Yeah, I hate my Zumo. :mad2:

It has been having power issues, randomly turning off and not being able to stay on for more than a few seconds. The tech at Garmin was sure it was a supply problem, so at his advice I bought a new power cord, new cradle & new battery over a few weeks time, trying to sort out the problem. That all cost about $150. It's still not fixed. Apparently I can send in my Zumo and have it refurbished for another $150. By the time you count the cost of the Zumo, plus the extra parts I've bought, then the price of the re-furb, this will be close to a $1000 GPS. :mad2:

I'm heading out on a 3 day 4x4 trip tomorrow morning... without any GPS. :rolleyes:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That's dumb. I still use a map....a gps has been on my list for a long time though. I like the 3d topo ones.

DAA

I can't speak to the Nuvi 780 specifically, but the Nuvi's in general seem pretty cheap/semi-disposable. I've bought a couple of them for my wife. They are inexpensive enough that buying her a new one every couple years when the old one craps the bed isn't any big deal and she really likes them for finding her way to addresses and stuff. They do have great features for navigating city streets. They travel easy too, very light and compact. I've borrowed hers for business trips many times. I've never been impressed at all with them for my off road travel and exploration purposes though.

- DAA

pELYgroso

'Merica
Yeah, I hate my Zumo. :mad2:

It has been having power issues, randomly turning off and not being able to stay on for more than a few seconds. The tech at Garmin was sure it was a supply problem, so at his advice I bought a new power cord, new cradle & new battery over a few weeks time, trying to sort out the problem. That all cost about $150. It's still not fixed. Apparently I can send in my Zumo and have it refurbished for another $150. By the time you count the cost of the Zumo, plus the extra parts I've bought, then the price of the re-furb, this will be close to a $1000 GPS. :mad2:

I'm heading out on a 3 day 4x4 trip tomorrow morning... without any GPS. :rolleyes:

That sucks greg, I'm sorry to hear that! Looking back, would you say that having 2 seperate gps's that each do a great job with their specific qualities is the way to go? Or would you consider you current GPS the bees knees if it weren't having the power issue??

kkemp

I can't speak to the Nuvi 780 specifically, but the Nuvi's in general seem pretty cheap/semi-disposable. I've bought a couple of them for my wife. They are inexpensive enough that buying her a new one every couple years when the old one craps the bed isn't any big deal and she really likes them for finding her way to addresses and stuff. They do have great features for navigating city streets. They travel easy too, very light and compact. I've borrowed hers for business trips many times. I've never been impressed at all with them for my off road travel and exploration purposes though.

- DAA

I don't know how the reliability is but, I recently got a nuvi 500 and it comes preloaded with topo maps for the whole US. It also has enough memory to load the whole state of Utah with 24K maps and I still have room for probably half the state of CO. I haven't even begun to start loading maps into the SD card. The GPS is absolutely the ticket for offroad. It also records track logs which is something no other nuvi does. I got it for $250 and I'm loving it.

DAA

That's good to know. I knew some of the Nuvi's could save routes, but didn't realize any of them could manage track logs. Niether of the Nuvi's we've had could do that. That's one of the big reasons I never considered them worthwhile for my purposes.

I think some of the Nuvi's are waterproof now too, which is another step in the right direction. Again, ours aren't/weren't and it's a deal killer for my purposes.

There are still other, personal preference type features they lack, that would still steer me to other models for my own uses though. I prefer better screen resolution and a non-touch screen, for instance. Plus, they just don't seem very robust and I'm suspect of their fragility (some of this is based on previous experience...).

But, the ability to save track logs and water proofing are BIG improvements. If I buy another Nuvi, I'll be sure to get one with those features.

A complete change of direction, but what I would really like to know, is the current state of Lowrance cartography for our region. If it has improved (enough) since I last researched it, about four years ago, and I were in the market for a new GPS, then the newer Lowrance HDS units are what I'd be looking at.

- DAA

Scott39

I don't know how the reliability is but, I recently got a nuvi 500 and it comes preloaded with topo maps for the whole US. It also has enough memory to load the whole state of Utah with 24K maps and I still have room for probably half the state of CO. I haven't even begun to start loading maps into the SD card. The GPS is absolutely the ticket for offroad. It also records track logs which is something no other nuvi does. I got it for $250 and I'm loving it.

Hey kkemp, I was also thinking about getting this GPS, I was just wondering if the topo maps on it, will show the smallest hiking trails also?

That's good to know. I knew some of the Nuvi's could save routes, but didn't realize any of them could manage track logs. Niether of the Nuvi's we've had could do that. That's one of the big reasons I never considered them worthwhile for my purposes.

I think some of the Nuvi's are waterproof now too, which is another step in the right direction. Again, ours aren't/weren't and it's a deal killer for my purposes.

There are still other, personal preference type features they lack, that would still steer me to other models for my own uses though. I prefer better screen resolution and a non-touch screen, for instance. Plus, they just don't seem very robust and I'm suspect of their fragility (some of this is based on previous experience...).

But, the ability to save track logs and water proofing are BIG improvements. If I buy another Nuvi, I'll be sure to get one with those features.

A complete change of direction, but what I would really like to know, is the current state of Lowrance cartography for our region. If it has improved (enough) since I last researched it, about four years ago, and I were in the market for a new GPS, then the newer Lowrance HDS units are what I'd be looking at.

- DAA

I heard Lowrance got out of the automotive GPS market. I read Daryl Lowrance sold his company to form Navico.

kkemp

Hey kkemp, I was also thinking about getting this GPS, I was just wondering if the topo maps on it, will show the smallest hiking trails also?

Sorry for being slow to respond. The pre-installed maps have some hiking trails. The 24K are actually very good.

You can get free maps for it at http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html. Though thoses maps don't support automatic routing, the still have a lot of detail that isn't on even the garmin 24K maps. I think you can actually get a copy of mapsource for free and use it to upload the free maps. I haven't tried that.

I use this:
060825.jpg

What is the model number of this thing? For some reason I can't find it.