Best GPS for backcountry/4x4 use?

sixstringsteve

Hey Kiel, have you had a chance to test your nuvi 500 yet? I'm in the market as well, but I'm such a noob when it comes to GPS units that I don't even know what features I want. My phone will do turn-by-turn for me, (and much more).

How is everyone using their GPS units? I liked sami's explanation of how he uses his to pre-run a route and marking stuff to watch for later.

I've used my phone GPS to track the route I'm traveling on. I've even used google maps while offroad, and as long as I have cell coverage, that works fine.

I'm interested in learning how to enter gps coordinates onto my map so I can make sure I turn at the right spot when driving a new route. If there's a way for my phone to do this, then I think it'll work just fine for me (routefinding in my truck.)

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Steve, Check out backcountry navigator or gaia GPS.. they will both allow you to have maps offline and to do what you are asking.. (that assumes you roll droid and not Icrap) I don't like tracks but rather put in waypoints that I want to hit and let the adventure be part navigation :)

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently bought a Nuvi 2450 and I was able to load Topo! maps on it via microsd card. I haven't used it offload yet though.. I use it for work (truckdriver) And it is quite fast and very easy to use.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I used mine to head out to the indian peak range about a month ago and I like it for the price. It comes with some baisc topos on it, but it only had pretty big roads. I need to figure out how to load them on it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently bought a Nuvi 2450 and I was able to load Topo! maps on it via microsd card. I haven't used it offload yet though.. I use it for work (truckdriver) And it is quite fast and very easy to use.

I just upgrade to a Dezl 760 in my work truck. I logged 440,000 miles on that 2450. While it did display topo maps, it didn't do it very well.

The 760 does display topo maps correctly, including POI's and other markers. No fat elevation lines, either.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'm still rocking my nuvi from 4 years ago, but I did figure out how to upload the garmin topo to it which is pretty decent for offroad, but It only had enough room for about 3 states on it. so I have utah, nv. southern idaho and a little of colorado on there

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
I just got a great setup going, using an ASUS 7" MeMo pad with a Garmin Glo, running Gaia GPS. Total cost for the setup was around $250, and it is worlds more functional and useful than a standalone GPS costing $450+ in my book. Love the big screen size, ability to drop google earth kml tracks straight in, and selection of maps avaliable. Cool tech for sure!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I just got a great setup going, using an ASUS 7" MeMo pad with a Garmin Glo, running Gaia GPS. Total cost for the setup was around $250, and it is worlds more functional and useful than a standalone GPS costing $450+ in my book. Love the big screen size, ability to drop google earth kml tracks straight in, and selection of maps avaliable. Cool tech for sure!

And pics of it setup? Sounds neat!

Tonkaman

I'd love to learn more about this! Pics would be great

4wheelair.com

Picture1.jpg
I have been running a setup close to that.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8"
Mount with built in charger from www.proclipusa.com
Garmin Glo
BackCountry Navigator App

I ran it for a long time without the Garmin Glo. I was just using the tablets built in GPS. It worked, but very slow to pick up satellites and accuracy wasn't as precise. So far has worked well for me.

CobraNutt

Must. Know. More! [emoji4]

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
My pleasure!

The tablet is mounted in my JK using a Ram X-Grip, connected to a milled aluminum JK grab bar from Carolina Metal Masters that incorporates the lower ball for the Ram system. The X-Grip makes it super simple to take the tablet in/out and it does not matter what type of case you have.

The GLO is a little stand-alone puck that has rubber feet on the bottom. It connects to the tablet with Bluetooth. It really doesn't "mount" or come with any cradle per-se, not that someone couldn.t come up with creative solutions. For my application I have run a dedicated power supply to the top dash pocket in my Jeep, and one out the glovebox for the tablet. I used one of these for the hard-wire on the tablet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3GK4G4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The GLO uses the car adapter it comes with through a hard-wire 12v plug, all rigged behind the dash.
On garmin's site they refer to mounting it in the dash "in view" of satellites.
The GLO has proven to be very easy to please. I have had it going on the seat of my Jeep, all through my house and in the garage. It seems to just flat work.

4wheel air is 100% correct, and has come to using the GLO for the exact same reasons I have. Many tablets have built-in GPS chipsets that work, even without data coverage. Without the data, however, they can be extremely slow to "cold-start." The GLO is super speedy, and I like the added horsepower of the Garmin satellite network.

I have Gaia GPS, BC Navigatior is the other Android app I hear thrown around a lot. For the I-Pad/Phone crowd there is MotionX, which I like the best out of all but cost played a big role in my selection of tablet / OS. The little ASUS I picked up was on sale at best buy for $149 at the time, and the Android market has a big advantage in that most tablets have an SD slot, which can add super value for map storage vs. tablet cost.

Gaia (and others) allow you to pre-cache your maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, etc just like on a Garmin prior to departure using a wifi connection. Therefore, no data connection is ever required for accurate use whilst in the field. If for some reason I desire a network connection while out-and-about, I am able to use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and pair the tablet. This can give me access to Google maps navigation for street driving, and data connectivity for whatever else... (use your imagination).

Pros:
1) Screen Size, Pixel Density, and Resolution (its gorgeous compared to any handheld, and maps need to be read with your location in-context so the bigger the better)
2) Hardware Power - Map zooming, loading and scrolling has zero lag / is super smooth.
2) Ease of typing! Waypoint names, track names, address searches, etc are worlds easier.
3) Extra functionality - Your dealing with a full tablet PC. Load up movies and tunes, audiobooks, etc.
4) Ease of importing GPX and KML files. The KML functionality is AWESOME in my book, no need for a file converter and other associated BS. Now I can stay up way too late at night plotting creative backcountry routes in Google Earth and just fling it right into the tablet!
5) Mapsets are WAY cheaper.
6) Much easier to create/edit routes, tracks, and waypoints in-app. Map dowloads are all done in-app. No need to connect to a PC to do these tasks like a handheld. To swap a gpx or kml file you can do it via e-mail, Dropbox, etc. Super functionality here compared to a handheld.

Cons:
1) Two separate components, two separate batteries.
2) Not as easy to throw in a pack for hiking/skiing/etc. Still totally doable though.
3) Not Waterproof / Less Durability
4) Umm....

Last edited:

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Quick little update to add to the tablet gps info. I just downloaded a free app called MAPS.ME that I am super stoked about and have just begun playing with. It gives me cacheable maps and street routing availability by state, and many world countries. Addresses are all searchable, as well as POI's. All while offline / in the field, and totally free. The user interface works well and is nice and clean. I'm really happy about this find!

Last edited:

4wheelair.com

Quick little update to add to the tablet gps info. I just downloaded a free app called MAPS.ME that I am super stoked about and have just begun playing with. It gives me cacheable maps and street routing availability by state, and many world countries. Addresses are all searchable, as well as POI's. All while offline / in the field, and totally free. The user interface works well and is nice and clean. I'm really happy about this find!
Great find! I used it this morning on a short little drive up Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas. Very easy to use.

-4wheelair.com

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
How much memory does that Maps.ME need? I don't currently have android I can test it on. Looking at picking up a used tablet to use for mapping. Also do you like you 8in screen for it? Think 7 would be to small? Just wondering if it would be easier to mount the 7in, and they seem to be quite a bit cheaper.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
TRD270, each map varies and the program gives you an option to have routing or not which has an impact on size. With routing I believe Utah was 86mb. My Asus is a 7", and I really like the size for this purpose. I also find it large enough to work with for the other tablet tasks I use it for FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4wheelair.com

How much memory does that Maps.ME need? I don't currently have android I can test it on. Looking at picking up a used tablet to use for mapping. Also do you like you 8in screen for it? Think 7 would be to small? Just wondering if it would be easier to mount the 7in, and they seem to be quite a bit cheaper.
I have it set up with an 8" tablet because I already had it. 7" tablets can be had for much cheaper and would take up less dash space.

-4wheelair.com