Best GPS for backcountry/4x4 use?

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I will. The more I read its a full fledged nuvi, with a cell phone app. Uploadable maps, topo, or the high zoot topo 24k.

Does all the cell phone stuff, 3 meg, mp3, blah blah blah. Garage icons are downloadable, as are voices... (Dr. Nightmare plus the Jeep, win!) (Jeeps will kill ya, ya know :cody;)

I can't quite determine if the DeLorme topo USA will download to it, but I am leaning towards yes, as DeLorme designed their software to mate with the PN ( I think) series Garmin hand helds, and Garmin themselves call their mapping TOPO... need to spend some time with that. Got to get the wife to pay the bill, and then its ordered....

DId I mention its a free phone? new/upgrade is free.90 free

And where it is a full fledged GPS, you don't need to be in Cell reception, or Internet reception areas. That was always my hesitation witht he Black berry app, and in fact this phone trumped my ordering of the Bold, been holding out for a Bold for awhile.

http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

Silly Willy

I will. The more I read its a full fledged nuvi, with a cell phone app. Uploadable maps, topo, or the high zoot topo 24k.

Does all the cell phone stuff, 3 meg, mp3, blah blah blah. Garage icons are downloadable, as are voices... (Dr. Nightmare plus the Jeep, win!) (Jeeps will kill ya, ya know :cody;)

I can't quite determine if the DeLorme topo USA will download to it, but I am leaning towards yes, as DeLorme designed their software to mate with the PN ( I think) series Garmin hand helds, and Garmin themselves call their mapping TOPO... need to spend some time with that. Got to get the wife to pay the bill, and then its ordered....

DId I mention its a free phone? new/upgrade is free.90 free

And where it is a full fledged GPS, you don't need to be in Cell reception, or Internet reception areas. That was always my hesitation witht he Black berry app, and in fact this phone trumped my ordering of the Bold, been holding out for a Bold for awhile.

http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

How is it a free phone? You have to have ATT to even use it. ?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have read some reviews on the nuviphone and it doesn't look like a very good piece. I love my droid but I am waiting for downloadable maps. It has satt, maps, terrain, and buzz. This phone is amazing. I get coverage all over the place in the most remote of locations through verizon so I can get by quite well without downloadable topo and satt.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Silly Willy I have ATT, if one is eligible for upgrade, or a new customer, it is free. $350 on the shelf, then with discounts, rebates, etc. it becomes $99, which is either mail in, or instant, depending if you buy in store or online, prefer instant, so buying online... Just got to get the wife to pay the bill so we can order it. The night we tried, that was the last night we could have ordered it before we paid the bill, something about you can't order new devices if your due date for bill is less than 7 days from when you are ordering new devices... She will pay it,(soon) the sticker shock of "our turn" ($250) is always a joykiller for her.

I have been eligible since November, just waiting on the right phone.Mine finally died, so while Googliung info on the Bolds GPS App... I came across the g60.

I want a GPS, especially now that I have effed up my gearing something ferocious... (final drive of 2.89 or something, might have an issue finding a Speedo gear for that), want a GPS to compliment my DeLorme Gazetter, and want to be able to load DeLorme Topo onto it...

Was looking at a net book, with the GPS probe, or a cheap full fledged laptop, but the g60 will fit perfect over what was once my speedo.

I too have read some negative reviews, mostly cause they were trying to compare it to an iPhone.. it ain't an iPhone for sure.

We will see.

Last edited:

Corban_White

I have read some reviews on the nuviphone and it doesn't look like a very good piece. I love my droid but I am waiting for downloadable maps. It has satt, maps, terrain, and buzz. This phone is amazing. I get coverage all over the place in the most remote of locations through verizon so I can get by quite well without downloadable topo and satt.
I saw the other day that they have a google earth app for the droid. I haven't downloaded it but it seems logical that it would show your current location. The data will take up a big chunk of the sd card tho! ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I saw the other day that they have a google earth app for the droid. I haven't downloaded it but it seems logical that it would show your current location. The data will take up a big chunk of the sd card tho! ;)
It doesn't take up very much at all. It is a really nice app when you have good 3g coverage. I am still looking for new mapping programs so hopefully someone will step up to the plate and make it happen.

Somebody with programming skills somewhere has to realize that this phone will be used in poor or zero data coverage so it would be helpful to have downloadable maps. I wish I knew how to program :( I keep getting good coverage in the most obtuse places though. Do a google search for Dragon, Utah, I was sending and receiving text messages from there somehow. There isn't a cell phone tower in sight and I was down in a deep canyon. I love Verizons coverage, It is AMAZING.

Corban_White

I was under the impression that the google earth app had all the maps included? IE that after the original download no 3g required? And, having switched from sprint for the coverage, I have not been disappointed at all! Verizon really IS the network! :D:D

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Well first day with the nuviphone tells me as a GPS it is top notch, voice could be louder, course the truck is rather loud...

As a phone, its weak.
Rather, as a "smart phone" its weak. I have 30 days to decide if I am keeping it we will see.

Pix text are not possible, handful of nit picky things.

bobmed

- - - -
I stopped at Cabellas to get a dash mount for my etrex and got a Nuvi 500 for $150 in the bargain cave instead.
Works good so far on the roads, it has topo maps also so I'll try it off road after the Teraflex All Jeep Show next weekend :D

Attachments

• P5161686.JPG
    P5161686.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P5161685.JPG
    P5161685.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

kkemp

I stopped at Cabellas to get a dash mount for my etrex and got a Nuvi 500 for $150 in the bargain cave instead.
Works good so far on the roads, it has topo maps also so I'll try it off road after the Teraflex All Jeep Show next weekend :D

That's a great deal. I really like my 500 for offroad.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Looks like I will be headed down the standalone GPS route...

Totally frustrated with the Nuviphone. It does some things amazingly well, pictures are insane.. the things it doesn't do, or does poorly, don't compensate for its high points.

And it has been 3/4 mile off on turns before.. I have common sense so I didn't, but I was approaching Hwy 52 from Toms Cabin road the other day, and it wanted me to "merge onto Hwy 52 now".. it was't 52 I was passing over, it was an irrigation canal. It recalculated ("Let me consult my Magic Book"), and then told to me got he .7 miles to 52, and take my left.

Little frustrating.

e28bimmer

Way late on this one, but I dont think there is a good mix of both worlds. I use a colorado 300 for off and on, but I dont have the need for turn by turn directions. Off road I hook it to a laptop running alltopo and it tracks real time with no delay. Perfect for tracking down old mines on the topos that dont have roads and signs. :D On road it shows speed and most all roads, but again, it doesnt give turn by turn.

kkemp

Way late on this one, but I dont think there is a good mix of both worlds. I use a colorado 300 for off and on, but I dont have the need for turn by turn directions. Off road I hook it to a laptop running alltopo and it tracks real time with no delay. Perfect for tracking down old mines on the topos that dont have roads and signs. :D On road it shows speed and most all roads, but again, it doesnt give turn by turn.

Yeah, there always seem to be compromises. The nuvi 500 does do turn by turn directions and it does topo. But, I don't know if the turn by turn stuff works off highway, I think it does not. There are some other things the 500 doesn't do as well as some of the other nuvis, for instance it doesn't have the traffic feature. Also, the nuvi 500, which does do topo, doesn't necessarily excel at outdoor use like hiking. For that I have a Garmin Vista. But, the nuvi 500 sure makes a great GPS for use in the Jeep.

Maybe someday someone will make a GPS that just does it all and sells for $200. :)

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I wouldn't mind picking up the Nuvi 500 for $150 in the bargain bin.. Good find..

I currently have the original Garmin eTrex. I have never used it for hiking, as I don't really hike much. It has been used on several multi day trips on dirt roads, and used extensively for desert racing. I've really only used it twice for desert racing, but that's a lot of concentrated use. It actually worked well for the desert running. We'd pre run and set a way-point for a danger - like large rocks, a washout, or hairpin turn - then I'd write that number down on a paper with the type of danger.. The next day during the race I'd watch the GPS and call out the dangers approaching as the numbers showed up on the screen.. Hard part is judging distance vs the speed you're travelling.

Anyways.. It's a good little unit, and i'd think that i'd keep it around since it's so old and basic it wouldn't sell for much. But, I would love to pick up a larger unit that we could mount in future race trucks, the Xterra, or any other vehicle for everyday on/off road use..

bobmed

- - - -
I have my etrex still and it works good but my eyesight needed a bigger screen. :(
I would stop, put on the reading glasses and see where I was but missed some turns. :ugh:
I'll probably use the etrex with a small laptop with the National Geograpic topo.
The 500 has the 1:24,000 garmin topo maps on it but I haven,t tried it off road yet.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Digging this up again since I'm in the market. Just looking for a simple in vehicle gps with all the roads that show on my topo maps and some basic street function. Any recomendations, not looking to get top of the line complicated, I can barely upload pictures to the computer.

kgb

I got a Nuvi 1450 for Father Day, was like $160 or so, works great use it as a speedometer in my Dodge and when I run it in my Suburban the speed is the same as the speedometer. Has lifetime maps, haven't had it off road yet but will have it in Moab in three weeks so we will see.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been researching the Nuvi line lately, apparently you can load Topo onto most of the Nuvi models. There are a few things you have to do to display the Topo maps, but google is your friend with that. The only trouble is that the Topo maps are not routable. This means that the unit will not show a route through non highway areas. That's not a big deal to me, you can still see the roads.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
After some researching on expo etc, I decided on a nuvi 500 I bought straight through garmin. It was recently updated and comes with topos on it. I should see it sometime next week I hope