big game hunt applications

mesha

By endurance we conquer
don't forget to put in for the hunt draws. you have about 1 day left. Bye the way I have a 3 percent chance of drawing on my LE:(

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I got lucky with mine. Had to get my blue card by phone from Afghanistan. Thankfully the Ogden office is pretty awesome. I only bought a point this year for Elk and put in for my archery deer tag. I can't wait to put some animals down with my new bow this year.

Taco4life

I put in for northern rifle deer and northern muzzleloader deer. We'll see what happens

Have you hunted the northern unit before? Any success? I looked into the buck/bull combination tag this year. (It seemed like it fit my school schedule best) The boundaries are the northern unit, I decided against it because it seems overcrowded without very much public land to hunt. However the convenience of it is tempting, I know a few locals who have tagged a few on the unit. I always ask what other peoples experience has been on that unit. It is generally the only General tag that doesn't sell out. Each year when I look at my odds I get more and more tempted to buy a muzzleloader.

I put in for:
General Central Unit Rifle
L/E Elk
Bison Bonus Point

don't forget to put in for the hunt draws. you have about 1 day left. Bye the way I have a 3 percent chance of drawing on my LE:(
That is better than me, I have less than 1%

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Have you hunted the northern unit before? Any success? I looked into the buck/bull combination tag this year. (It seemed like it fit my school schedule best) The boundaries are the northern unit, I decided against it because it seems overcrowded without very much public land to hunt. However the convenience of it is tempting, I know a few locals who have tagged a few on the unit. I always ask what other peoples experience has been on that unit. It is generally the only General tag that doesn't sell out. Each year when I look at my odds I get more and more tempted to buy a muzzleloader.

I put in for:
General Central Unit Rifle
L/E Elk
Bison Bonus Point

Define "success". I define it as whether myself, my boys, my brother/dad/nephews have a good experience. So, yes we do have success. There's nothing about hunting with younger boys that says we "hunt". We do "camp with guns" and last year my younger brother got a NICE 4 point on the muzzleloader. Our family is pretty settled in Cache Valley and I know my way around the area fairly well. That's why the northern unit works for me.

Muzzleloader is kind of funky. I've never felt more "vulnerable" while hunting as you can ONLY pack your "primitive rifle" (unless you have a CCW and are carrying your other weapon for "protection"). It's somewhat fun as the guns kick like a mule and are beyond loud.

The biggest deer I've ever seen have been west of Tremonton, but you are somewhat limited in public land in that area (coincidence, I doubt it).

Honestly, I only hunt where I can pack an animal out. I'm pretty limited there (esp. last year, as I had knee surgery in Aug.). I hike about a mile or two, hang out for quite a few hours, then head back to camp through what looks successful to see animals.

My dad and brother have about 14-15 points or something and my dad has put in for bison on Antelope Island for the past 4-5 years. He's got to draw sometime in the near future?

Last edited:

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Put in for my archery tag a week ago. And bonus points on Bull Elk and Bison.

Everyone else needs to quit putting in on the archery hunt so I can draw easier.

nrspence

I put in for LE muzzleloader Elk on San Juan Elk Ridge, after putting in for 11 yrs i still do not have a chance to draw out. Also put in for southern rifle duck for my first choice, and my second choice is the northern buck, bull combo tag. O ya i also put in for rattlesnake big horn sheep.
Nate

Venture13

I think I had several locations. Mostly Wasatch and Central. Not sure, be cool to find out. Got the new Savage Bear hunter 300WSM with a Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Tactical. My uncle is a Savage Arms machinist, so I got 50% off and he personally rifled the barrel and head spaced it for me, plus got some initials engraved, lol.. Ready for that long shot. Last year I took my elk at 400 yds with the 30-06 and did not feel comfortable.