bike nerds....advice please

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hello nerds,

Now that I have you here, I need some direction. I don't know much about bikes, but I'm learning. I don't know anything about what components are good or bad, so maybe you can put me in the right direction.

My bike was stolen last night, so now I need to get something new. I think I'm going to restore my dads old schwinn and use it to run around town on, and then pick up something I can use for triathlons.

I understand the difference between a TT and a road bike, but even though my intended use is for tri's, I still think I'm leaning towards a road bike. More versatile, more comfortable, and for the race distances I do I can't imagine a TT bike will make that much difference.

So, this is preliminary, but what are your thoughts on these two bikes. I realize they are chinese frames, but the component list seems to be legit and I've spoken with people who have ordered from this place and have been happy. I've also seen a handful of Kestral and Motobecane bikes at various tri's I've done....

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortal_spirit7900.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/talon_sl_road.htm

Alternatively, I have a friend that works for Specialized in quality control and he can probably put something together for me for relatively cheap, so that is another option I will explore.

jdub

Scrambler
Skylinerider you are right. Can't talk about my stuff on here because I'm not a RME vendor. Can call or stop by the shop though. I'll take care of you personally. Ask for John.

Cody You are right on the versatility on the traditional road being the bike for you. TT bikes are very uncomfortable for long distances and climbs that Utah is known for. You can add R-bars to help in the aero. Which makes me wonder why the areo Kestrel doesn't have that bar set up??? It would actually make the bike look more legit and drop the price for them to produce. TT shifters vs. integrated style have a huge price difference. As far as the price for the bike, you get some amazing components (maybe), wheels you don't get a choice. For me it would matter whether or not it comes with Mavic wheels or not.

I personally have worked on some motobecanes, it is usually a new purchase and not working at all. Once I tune them they seem to be fine.

I'd be skeptical of that weight. Most of the big companies e.g. Specialized with $7000+ bikes are able to drop below the 15lb range but with an aluminum bar, $30 stem etc. I think it will be more.

If you are going to buy a motobecane/kestrel I can't argue, provided the drivetrain is set up right you will be very happy. But I can argue that if you get a hook up from your friend, when you want to upgrade in a couple years, your Specialized will be worth double the money than the other. The BD bike will just have worn out parts that were nice. When searching for used bikes on ksl most don't punch in motobecane.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I agree with Jdub.
There are some sweet deals on the various sites around. Personally I'm a big fan of Specialized, decent components/weight/value.

jdub

Scrambler
Depending if you are going through renters insurance or not they have been sticklers lately even requiring you to actually buy the replacement and then they will reimburse you. It, of course, depends on the company you pay insurance to. If you are buying it outright or even private party. I can help you with a tune up to get it up and going for new ownership.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I understand the resale value on the motobecane wouldn't be very high, but I can't imagine I would be selling it any time soon. I've heard a couple positive reviews of BD, so that is why I looked into them and it "seemed" to my untrained eye that the component list on those bikes were comparable to bikes there were more than 2x's the price from the normal manufacturers.

I'm going to talk to my friend at Specialized today about it and see what he thinks he could put together for my budget.

jdub

Scrambler
IMO the BD bikes aren't the best in the looks department. But the price can't be beat. even the 1500 carbon bike is amazing on price. If you do get one I want to know how it rides.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I actually really like the look of that black motobecane. I'm leaning towards it if I go that direction since it doesn't have as many brand specific parts (seat post etc) as the Kestral.

I expected people everywhere to talk trash on BD and Motobecane/Kestral etc, but I haven't found that at all. Everyone I know that I feel knows a bit about bikes seems to have good things to say. I kind of expected them to get a cheap, walmart, type revue but that hasn't been the case.

I still don't know what I"m going to do with insurance, but if nothing else I'm learning a lot about the different types/brands/levels of components.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I think I'm going to restore my dads old schwinn and use it to run around town on, and then pick up something I can use for triathlons.

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack, but what kind of Schwinn?? I'm restoring a 57 Schwinn Racer single speed I got from my wifes Grandpa.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm not exactly sure. I think it's a Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed.

looks really similar to this

mini68c1.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have it, so it's been gotten. It doesn't have the fenders or chain protector, but the seat, bars, and frame look like that. It's green too.

The frame is old and dulled--kind of rusty in a rat-rod kind of way. I think I'm going to clean up the chrome and then leave the frame original in a rat-bike kind of way. That is, if I can find parts for it.

I've done a ton of research on road bikes the last few days and have gotten some great info and opinions from people--in person and in forums. I was looking at some Orbea bikes yesterday--those are cool. Just expensive.

Jdub--where is your shop?

richpblaze

Specialized

You can't go wrong. Today most of the bikes put out are very decent in the two or three thousand range. Or you could drop the big bucks and spend more than you paid for your rig. Depends on how much an oz. means to you.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
an oz doesn't mean anything to me, and there is no way I would drop 5k on a bike. If I want to shave an ounce I'll stop drinking beer for a couple days ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
OK. Updates.

Schwinn Glob is almost done being restored and it's turning out pretty cool.

Insurance is covering my bike, so I"ll have money next week to get another one. As of right now I'm leaning towards this bike

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortal_spirit7900.htm

But I can get a lesser equipped Raleigh with mostly Ultregra components and a lower end Mavic wheel for the same price. So it comes down to...do I believe the name-brand frame is actually much better? I'm not sure I do, but I'm not saying it isn't either.

jdub

Scrambler
I have erased many of my comments 'cause it makes me sound biased or condescending about a certain bike. Flat out Dura-ace is expensve. BD knows that, and it is what sells the bike. Put it close to a Dura-ace Specialized and ignore the price for a second and the details and whole package will be obviously different despite the drivetrain. I still don't have a good enough reason why not to buy a BD bike for the price that is offered. Just get a quality tune up and you should be good. Good to hear Insurance is cooperating. I hear all the time that they pull some fine print stuff and the person is out a bike and still pays their premium. I still have to know if it is really 15.75. I will tune it up for you just so I can put a scale on it. It should weigh that with what it has for drivetrain but there are some heavy things on there to cancel it out.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm sure you're right, but the difference between a specialized DA bike and a BD DA bike is also $5,000. For that much cash it ought to look a lot better, but would it perform that much better for me? Or better yet, would the BD bike not perform very well? See, that is what I don't know.

I think the 15.75 is for the 50 cm frame, no pedals or reflectors FWIW.

I'm fine with your bias--I don't know shit. I just want to get the best bike I can for the money I have to spend. I don't know if name brands are expensive because the technology and performance are so much better, or because they have to fund an entire team of riders as they travel the world.

Last edited: