Bivy Sacks. Feedback?

sixstringsteve

you want an eVent bivy, or eVent sleeping bag?

I'm assuming you need to plan your bag just right. if you bring the right bag, simply unzipping it in the night won't make it much cooler in a bivy, will it?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I want an eVent bivy. I am not a fan of sleeping bags that are waterproof. Waterproof bags wet out way to easily.

Bivy bags are entirely different than a tent and you are right about picking the right temperature bag. Condensation on the inside of the bivy is not fun and the sleeping bag gets wet and the insulation gets less effective. Bivy sacks can be very dangerous in the right conditions. Especially long term winter conditions.

sixstringsteve

Interesting. That's the kind of feedback I've been interested in. I picked up some army ones for $35 brand new, I figure you can't go wrong at that price, but I'd also like to check out the OR one in person.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I was happy to see it had the ultralight stuff I was looking for as well as the roomier beefy stuff you are looking for.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The recent gunshow had a rad deal on mil-spec -30* bivy setups. 4 piece, outer shell, bag and inner bag (and pack bag) for ~$130. I was really tempted but didn't ever wander back over.

sixstringsteve

interesting. I purchased the mil-spec outer bag for $40 shipped to my door (brand new too!). I've seen the 2-piece bag arrangement. I may just have to try my army bivy out this weekend.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
My old man has the 2 piece military bag. It's older so I'm sure they are lighter now, but his is heavy as hell. It'll keep you toasty warm well below zero though. I've used it a -15 and was hot as could be in that thing

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Kurt picked up the one at the gun show, he can pipe in on weight, they packed down to a normal sized bag, Om what I could tell.

sixstringsteve

I'm excited to try mine out this weekend. I like the idea of leaving my pad, bag, and bivy all in one piece each night and just throwing it out on the ground when it's time to go to bed.

Does the military 4-piece have a sleeping pad, or is it 2 bags, a bivy, and a case?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm excited to try mine out this weekend. I like the idea of leaving my pad, bag, and bivy all in one piece each night and just throwing it out on the ground when it's time to go to bed.

Does the military 4-piece have a sleeping pad, or is it 2 bags, a bivy, and a case?

Exactly the bivy sack, black (heavier bag), green (lighter summer bag), and the stuff sack

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt picked up the one at the gun show, he can pipe in on weight, they packed down to a normal sized bag, Om what I could tell.

It didn't strike me as heavy and like you saw it stored in a pretty normal bag size. Its not something I would want on my back but all things equal I think it offered a good amount of warmth for the size.

I have a military 4 piece.I have not weighed it but it packs down nicely.Very warm

That is the exact setup! Glad to hear you like it. You buy it at one of the local surplus joints or gunshow?

..Does the military 4-piece have a sleeping pad, or is it 2 bags, a bivy, and a case?

No pad but they had those as well as military issue fleece bag liners for sale as well. I don't recall either being that expensive, seems the loose bivy's were $30, bags $50/ea and if you bought the combo you got the stuff sack. The pads were a simple ~3/4" foam, I didn't even take a close look.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
As for the Army Gore-Tex bivy cover, I really like mine. Back in October I hiked into the Uintas for 4 days for the elk hunt with some friends and had planned on strictly sleeping in the bivy for my "tent". Our campsite was tucked into the trees so high winds were not a concern and my extra gear would stay dry under a tree. I was told that I would be responsible for everything I'd be needing for the trip and packed accordingly. What I wasn't aware of is that there would be a small tent to share when we got up there. So I slept with my pad and sleeping bag inside the bivy cover while sharing a small tent, this proved to be a smart move as the tent was cheap and some water managed to seep in. My TNF sleeping bag is rated at 15 or 25 degrees but the bivy cover adds another 8-10 degrees to that rating. 2 of the 3 mornings we woke up with a frozen layer of snow on the tent and it got down to 19 degrees, but I was toasty warm even with my lighter bag and stayed very dry. My sleeping pad is just a Thermarest ProLite but I love how compact it is.

What I learned from this trip is that a compact bivy is great for extra protection, but I would not want to use it as a primary sleeping area due to the difficulty in keeping mud and debris outside when entering/exiting the bivy/sleeping bag unless it was for an emergency situation. But there are bivy covers that have more room and incorporate a single tent or trekking pole to minimize that claustrophobic feeling some people get, also allows for easier/cleaner access and room for your gear.

I currently own too many lightweight tents to ever justify buying an expensive bivy setup, but there are many designs on the market to suit the needs of every buyer. Next year for the hunt I will still pack my bivy cover, but will also pack either my Eureka Cirrus 2 or my Cabelas XPG2 tent. If my buddy wants to split the packing weight I will bring the Eureka Timberline or the Walrus Armadillo 4 season.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Great link! I've been looking at bivy sacks too, to keep a down bag dry without carrying too much weight. So what would I hate about the ruta locura wasatch bivy?

www.rutalocura.com/Bivy.html

I think the Ruta locura looks like some good gear. I don't really like the statement on the home page about land usage though. I am still debating on which bivy to go with myself. I have spent a lot of hour reading lately.