Bivy Sacks. Feedback?

sixstringsteve

I can't find much real-world info on the nemo, and I question how well it'd hold up in high winds with the air frame. The real question is... gore tex vs event. Everything I read says event is the superior material. I really like the Integral Designs Cocoon, but BC doesn't have it.

sixstringsteve

I like the idea of a bivy sack. I didn't mind hopping in it for the night. It was cozy and it got warm fast. About 3 hours into the night I noticed it'd rain ice crystals all over me when I rolled over. I felt around, and my entire bag and the inside of the bivy were covered in ice from my breath condensating. I had the foot vent open too, and even after cracking the hood about 2/3 of the way, I was still getting too much ice inside. So I hopped in the car and slept in the passenger seat for the rest of the night.

I need to learn more about condensation. I've slept under the stars in 15* weather before, and my bag had a little bit of ice crystals on it when I woke up. I'm guessing the vapor my body creates passes through the sleeping bag, then when it hits cold air it freezes right on the surface of the bag. I'm not sure how to control this. I'd like to find a bivy that works for me. Aside from the ice, I loved it.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, but ice on your bag isn't supposed to be part of camping. ;) People camp in the winter all the time and the have ways to stay dry. I'll have to learn more about it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yeah, but ice on your bag isn't supposed to be part of camping. ;) People camp in the winter all the time and the have ways to stay dry. I'll have to learn more about it.

Dual wall tents. Condensation passes through the inner mesh walls, and freezes on the outer wall, outside the tent.

sixstringsteve

Davy, how are the waterproof down bags? Do they suffer from the same issue as a bivy? I wouldn't be too worried about ice forming on the outside of a down bag if it were covered in something like eVent. Would the vapor make it through to the outside of the bag, or would it be freezing the vapor in the insulation of the bag?

Also, if you sleep with a vapor barrier, wouldn't your skin collect all the water instead of your bag?

I'm going to try sleeping with a light synthetic bag over my down bag in the hopes that the vapor will pass through the down bag and freeze and condensate on the synthetic bag, leaving my down bag dry.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
When I sleep in the jeep I have to open windows slightly for ventilation. If I don't, then I get frost inside that turns to rain when the jeep warms up.

sixstringsteve

same here. I cracked the windows in the tacoma and I didn't have a spec of condensation on my bag in the morning. Maybe I'll try a heater in the RTT before I sleep and when I wake up.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think you get a RTT, oh wait, how about a sleeping platform and shell, oh wait, how about a inflatable tent!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Maybe I'll try a heater in the RTT before I sleep and when I wake up.

That's a great way to go, IMO. Keep the windows cracked, crank up the heater before you go to bed and when you wake up. We've done that several times and I like it. Obviously don't leave it on while you sleep. ;)

One thing I've wondered.... the Mr Buddy Heaters claim to be indoor safe, which is what we have. I've considered running a carbon monoxide alarm in the tent and using the heater more often. My wife doesn't like being cold and and I don't blame her

Perhaps that's for another thread?