Bivy Sacks. Feedback?

sixstringsteve

I don't really like the statement on the home page about land usage though.

How could they be wrong with pictures of cute baby deer on the homepage? I agree with you 100%.

I'm anxious to see what you end up with Davy. I wish I could rent one of each and try them all out. :D I'm still smitten with the OR Advanced bivy (though I'm just as torn on their stance on the canyonlands national monument).

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Its not the made in USA vs china issue. The issues is supporting companies that want to turn our trails into a national monument.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
...But there are bivy covers that have more room and incorporate a single tent or trekking pole to minimize that claustrophobic feeling some people get, also allows for easier/cleaner access and room for your gear.

I love this idea! I'm planning a Grand Canyon trek, and will be carrying a pair of trekking poles anyway. If I could use them to create a tent, without carrying much more weight than a bivy, that would be perfect! Got any examples/links?

sixstringsteve

I've seen a lot of guys use tarps with trekking poles for their shelter, but that's the first time I've heard of a baby with a trekking pole.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Most of that stuff is made in China these days anyway, so find a good used one on ebay and it doesn't matter who the vendor was initially.

Who the vendor was initially does matter, a lot. Not all Chinese products are created equal. Companies claiming that are making there stuff in poor quality factories.

sixstringsteve

I love this idea! I'm planning a Grand Canyon trek, and will be carrying a pair of trekking poles anyway. If I could use them to create a tent, without carrying much more weight than a bivy, that would be perfect! Got any examples/links?

Here ya go. I did a Google image search for "trekking pole tarp"

trekking pole shelter 5.jpg

trekking pole shelter 2.jpg

trekking pole shelter 3.JPG

trekking pole shelter 4.jpg

trekking pole shelter.jpg

trekking pole tarp.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

I could make some educated suggestions, depends on your budget and if you need room for 1 or 2 people.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Not quite a bivy, but this may be what I eventually pick up. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
my favorite trekking pole shelter is the zpacks shelters. I will have one of those eventually.

http://www.zpacks.com the hexamid is the one I want. I wont use the the ground sheet instead I will use my bivy sac inside the tarp tent.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Did we talk about pads yet? Is there an option that's as light, compact, and thick (2.5"!) as the Neoair Xlite without being so annoyingly loud and krinkly?

DAA

On the subject of trekking pole supportet shelters...

I recently ordered an SMD Skyscape Trekker. It's designed for use with trekking poles, but I don't/won't carry those very often, so I opted for the dedicated CF poles to go with it. Have not rec'd it yet. But should be about 32 oz. all in (tent, poles, stakes, guylines, stuff sack), for a mostly double walled shelter (it's a hybrid). I won't get to use it until my first backpack trip in the spring. But I'm sure liking it on paper. If used with trekking poles it's only 24 oz for just the shelter.

Have strong lust for a Zpacks 'mid! Just wasn't in the budget.

I've got a few bucks stashed away for one more gear purchase for this year and it's going to be a new/lighter backpack. Really have the hot wants for a Zpacks Arc Blast, but I think I carry too much stuff to cram it all in to such a small pack. So I think I'm leaning towards a ULA Circuit as of right now.

With that, I'll have my all in starting pack weight for a 2 night Uintas trip, including plenty of good food, stove fuel, high quality (not real light) fishing kit and a liter of liquid down to about 25 pounds.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The hexamid is stupid light, but do you think it will last more than a few trips?

They are designed for 1 thru hike. Think 3 months on the trail and a few thousand miles. They won't be as beefy as some tents, but they should hold up pretty good if you are selectable about your camp spot. Slick rock wouldn't be your friend. Luckily where there is slick rock there is always sand.

Did we talk about pads yet? Is there an option that's as light, compact, and thick (2.5"!) as the Neoair Xlite without being so annoyingly loud and krinkly?

We talked a little about pads in a different thread, but not much. The xlite is as light and thick as they come. Many people are having great success with them. I would opt for the regular xtherm the weight penalty is there but you gain 70 denier bottom over a 30 denier and almost a 2 point jump in warmth. The one thing I really like about the xlite is the fact that it is translucent. You can see how much moisture is accumulating in the pad. That is kind of cool and can aid when drains the moisture. It is especially concerning in the winter time as there will be a lot of condensation from your breath.
The only pad that really compares with the neo air series is the sun at UL 7, and the kooks bay pads. Kooks bay is really hard to find info on.
On the subject of trekking pole supportet shelters...

I recently ordered an SMD Skyscape Trekker. It's designed for use with trekking poles, but I don't/won't carry those very often, so I opted for the dedicated CF poles to go with it. Have not rec'd it yet. But should be about 32 oz. all in (tent, poles, stakes, guylines, stuff sack), for a mostly double walled shelter (it's a hybrid). I won't get to use it until my first backpack trip in the spring. But I'm sure liking it on paper. If used with trekking poles it's only 24 oz for just the shelter.

Have strong lust for a Zpacks 'mid! Just wasn't in the budget.

I've got a few bucks stashed away for one more gear purchase for this year and it's going to be a new/lighter backpack. Really have the hot wants for a Zpacks Arc Blast, but I think I carry too much stuff to cram it all in to such a small pack. So I think I'm leaning towards a ULA Circuit as of right now.

With that, I'll have my all in starting pack weight for a 2 night Uintas trip, including plenty of good food, stove fuel, high quality (not real light) fishing kit and a liter of liquid down to about 25 pounds.

- DAA

I have few packs in the blasts size range if you want to borrow one and see if it will work for you. I really like the arc myself. It would only save me 4 ounces over my current pack so I can't justify the cost right now. Someday I will though haha.