Black Bear and Imogene Passes, Sept 2015

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Were you up there? Took this yesterday.

WP_20150910_13_15_25_Pro.jpg

That washout at :55 looked like a ton of fun with the fisheye, was it really that bad?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Were you up there? Took this yesterday.

View attachment 101141

That washout at :55 looked like a ton of fun with the fisheye, was it really that bad?

We were up there on Monday... I'm working on my Imogene Pass video right now! How funny.

That washout has been there for years, having the camera mounted on the side of the mirror PLUS the fisheye effect from the GoPro make it worse than it really is. You should go see for yourself and decide. :D

sixstringsteve

both of those are on my bucket list. Great video greg, I had always wondered what the trail was like. I don't think I'll be doing it in my van, but maybe I'll rent a jeep one day to do it.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Incredible videos, both those trails are on my bucket lists now! :)

thanks for sharing! (And your video/editing skills are outstanding!)

Thanks! The San Juan mountains and the 4x4 trails are simply amazing, I'd highly recommend a trip down to anyone that likes mountains and wheelin!

Appreciate the comment about editing, I didn't know how to edit video's a few years ago and wanted to learn. I'm slowly getting better. ;)

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Thanks for posting, I just did those exact trails over Labor day weekend.... what an awesome area for exploring!

IMG_2983.JPGIMG_2770.JPGIMG_2836.JPGIMG_2848.JPGIMG_2875.JPG

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Looks great Greg!

My understanding is that black bear is on way, towards Telluride, right? So to make this a loop, you start in Telluride, do imogene pass into Ouray, travel down hwy 550, then blackbear back to the beginning..? Is that right?

I still have a little anxiety over cliffs, so even watching the videos gave me some scare with the jeep close to the edge, but I think renting a RZR for the weekend would be a BLAST!

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Looks great Greg!

My understanding is that black bear is on way, towards Telluride, right? So to make this a loop, you start in Telluride, do imogene pass into Ouray, travel down hwy 550, then blackbear back to the beginning..? Is that right?

I still have a little anxiety over cliffs, so even watching the videos gave me some scare with the jeep close to the edge, but I think renting a RZR for the weekend would be a BLAST!

Correct Black Bear Pass at the top as you drop into Bridal Vale falls is a one way trail with a point of no return sign discussing that there are no turnarounds allowed. You can run Black Bear Pass into Telluride in a jeep and then back to Ouray via Imagine Pass to make it a full loop and it would be a pretty full day of trail riding. No street legal ATV's are allowed in Telluride what so ever and that's heavily enforced with unmarked cop cars, so I would recommend renting a Jeep Rubicon (our 2015 2dr rubi was $150 per day). There is also a $25 guide book for South Western CO which makes running the trails with a odometer very easy. From my inquires, you will spend over $350 per day for a sidexside rental because the rental agency MUST trailer them everywhere for you.

I'm kinda biased against SidexSides so I would say (from my perspective) the trails are maintained by the local offroad clubs specifically for Jeeps, trucks and SUV's (ie. full size offroad vehicles). Each trails is signed that no dirt bikes or ATV's are allowed on those particular trails, but you do see them here and there (and especially here them!!!). The wheel base, vehicle weight distribution, track width and turning radius on a SideXSide is much different in all aspects and could become very dangerous or fatal on the toughest part of the decent and switchbacks of Black Bear Pass.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Looks great Greg!

My understanding is that black bear is on way, towards Telluride, right? So to make this a loop, you start in Telluride, do imogene pass into Ouray, travel down hwy 550, then blackbear back to the beginning..? Is that right?!

Close. Black Bear goes the other way, so if you're starting in Ouray you'd do Imogene to Telluride then Black Bear to 550.

I used the Colorado Trails Southwest book, very handy.

Greg

Admin
Sounds like your question was answered Brian! :)

When we do Black Bear and Imogene we start in Ouray, drive up Red Mountain pass (Hwy 550) to the start of Black Bear. The one way section is short, but it's the steepest with the most switchbacks... we actually ran into some idiots that were coming up the one way section on a ATV on our trip and we had a total of 5, 4x4's trying to get around them in some sketchy parts. I edited them out of the video. ;)

Then from Telluride to Imogene and over to Ouray.... that loop makes for a great day ride.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Close. Black Bear goes the other way, so if you're starting in Ouray you'd do Imogene to Telluride then Black Bear to 550.

I used the Colorado Trails Southwest book, very handy.

Sounds like your question was answered Brian! :)

When we do Black Bear and Imogene we start in Ouray, drive up Red Mountain pass (Hwy 550) to the start of Black Bear. The one way section is short, but it's the steepest with the most switchbacks... we actually ran into some idiots that were coming up the one way section on a ATV on our trip and we had a total of 5, 4x4's trying to get around them in some sketchy parts. I edited them out of the video. ;)

Then from Telluride to Imogene and over to Ouray.... that loop makes for a great day ride.

These contradict don't they? Maybe I am reading wrong.

I'll worry more when it actually gets closer

Thanks guys!

Greg

Admin
These contradict don't they? Maybe I am reading wrong.

I'll worry more when it actually gets closer

Thanks guys!

Black Bear is one way so if you're doing the full trail (the correct and legal way), you drive it from Hwy 550 to Telluride. I think the high altitude got to Kevin... :rofl:

LT.

Alright y'all, how difficult is black bear and imogene? Greg makes it look pretty easy in his overland jku. Can a long bed 3/4 ton do the trails?

As always Greg, nice report and great video.

LT.

Greg

Admin
Alright y'all, how difficult is black bear and imogene? Greg makes it look pretty easy in his overland jku. Can a long bed 3/4 ton do the trails?

As always Greg, nice report and great video.

LT.

LT... there are several switchbacks that are VERY tight. It's unnerving in a JKU with a 116" wheelbase, what's the wheelbase on the truck you're considering taking? Does it turn tight? Beyond those switchback is steep and loose scree that gives away FAST. If you go, take pics! The colors down there are AMAZING right now!