Blower Blazer Build

The chute is working great, but now I have new problems...or old problems that are getting worse.

The heater blower sometimes won't come on. It doesn't matter what position the blower speed switch is in. Then after driving a while it will just start working. It seems to be getting worse. Stay troubleshooting the switch? Resister thing? Hot? Ground? Bypass the whole thing?

Also, it seems like the alternator really struggles to keep up, and since it's blowing instead of plowing, most of the time on level or downhill, it's at an idle in 4Low. I'm just starting to research the options on bigger alternators. Are there any outfits in town that can beef up the alternator? Someone mentioned dual alternators...are there factory applications for this?

Also, low priority, seeking a full float 14bolt with 4.10s and open carrier (I have a detroit).

Attachments

• Blazer blower cabin Dec 2014.jpg
    Blazer blower cabin Dec 2014.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 26

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Henstrom's in SLC can do stuff to your alternator.

I'm wondering if you can change pulleys to spin it faster at idle? :confused: Maybe not as many options for diameters as there is for, say, a power steering pump....

Henstroms will do a 150+ amp alternator for me. On order.

There doesn't seem to be much they can do about making power at idle. Maybe going from a 2.5" to 2.375" pulley, nets 5%. Maybe a high(er)-idle switch? 5.13 gears and 4.3:1 t-case?

Now I need to address the heater issue.

And the well-fed mouse living in the blazer. It has successfully removed two dabs of peanut butter without getting snapped.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The heater issue sounds like the resistor to me, but it could be the motor itself also. I'd put money on the resistor though. I'm guessing they're fairly easy to remove and test on the bench?

For the mouse, use Tootsie Roll to lure them in - it sticks to the trap great, and is harder for the critter to remove without setting off the trap. Just chew on it for a second to soften it up before you set it in the trap.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I bet the blower motor is going out. Hit it with the palm of your hand when its not working and see if it starts

The heater issue sounds like the resistor to me, but it could be the motor itself also. I'd put money on the resistor though. I'm guessing they're fairly easy to remove and test on the bench?

For the mouse, use Tootsie Roll to lure them in - it sticks to the trap great, and is harder for the critter to remove without setting off the trap. Just chew on it for a second to soften it up before you set it in the trap.

Nice! I like that better than the sticky traps. Tootsie Roll for the win. I'll take some up there this weekend.

I bet the blower motor is going out. Hit it with the palm of your hand when its not working and see if it starts

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Chase39

My heater did the same thing. I kept palming my crx's blower motor for about two years haha. she finally gave out and had to put a new one in last week. what a pain in the butt to swap in the little racecar.

blznnp

I have been using tootsie rolls for a while, works awesome. If there is a mouse in my garage, I can usually get it by the next morning with a tootsie roll