Body Damage or No Body Damage

Body Damage or No Body Damage??

• Hell yes!

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Ummm no

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Mepco 4x4

Everyone is right! If you are having fun doing what you are doing, then you are on the right track. Wheeling is like a drug, the longer you "use" the heavier the dose needs to be! If body damage turns your crank, thats great! I wheel my daily driver therefore I must keep damage to a minimum, unless I buy a bus pass. I started to build a crawler, but I found out that I am going to be a dad again! (So if you need a '79 CJ7 tub/frame, Ford 429, or Dana300 t/case let me know). Anyway, sorry to ramble........

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
lets keep this discussion civil everyone!!!

anyway...I like to have straight sheetmetal when I have it. I dont worry about dents because I think they build wheeling character :) one thing I don't care for is people that completely freak out on a trail because of the possibility of body damage.

spare the rock, spoil the rig :)

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Wow I really didn't know that what I said was something everyone had a different oppion on. I didn't mean to offend anyone or sound like an a$$. I thought of it because I was board and wanted oppions on the damage part. I really don't know why I said "true wheeler". I guess I thought damage = actually wheeling and no damage = no wheeling. But everyone is right. It is an oppion everyone has. Maybe there is not a true wheeler.

Yes spence I agree with the whole your theory on the freaking out. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :p

I also agree on the earning of damage. I happens. That is what you get with a sport that involves rocks :D

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
Making it through a trail that almost guarantees damage with none is cool.

I think so too. I remember the first time our club went down to run Cat Canyon and we saw Craig Stumph at the Harts station in Delta and he told all of us to expect at least one new dent. I ended up leading our group on the trail, which I had never seen before and I was the only to not break or get body damage. After three trips to Cat with no damage I should have called it quits, but finally got a scratch going through Craig's chute.

chute_sm.jpg

Like many of you said, if you wheel, it's gonna happen sooner or later. For me, I try hard NOT to get body damage and I try to run some decent trails where the risk for damage is real. If I can get off the trail with no damage that's great but it doesn't do me any good to cry about it if the body finds a rock.

Just keep wheeling your junk and have a blast doing it!!! If you can keep your truck nice in the process it just might mean your truck will last another season longer than the guy who's body fell off the frame after the 10th rollover.......which could be fun too :D

later.

end2.jpg

grinch

inner city redneck
I dont fix my dammage.... Im way to lazy..... Ide rather jsut wheel. anyhow if the body dammage gets to bad I just cut the body panel off... That is why I only have the front half of a scrambler...
34886180oOEUew_th.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Andy
First off you can't define a true wheeler by body damage, any jackass can go beat the hell out of a viehicle and not care. I think a good example of a great driver is Kevin Hawkins, sure he gets some dents and scrapes, but when you do the trails he does it's bound to happen. There are alot of good wheelers on this board, some come out unscathed, and others pay the price. I personaly have experienced massive body damage, St George last year I started the first day with a very straight Bronco, and ended the day with a mashed/crumpled Bronco, did that make me any better? I don't think so. I know B's first YJ was looking pretty hammered before it's reincarnation, but he also won UROC that first year with it. Body damage is what happens some times when your trying to become better, know your limits.... or pay.:D As for competition, you better expect body damage.;)

Nice! :D

I totally agree with Andy, anyone can beat the Hell out of their rig. That doesn't make you hardcore. I personally like having a decent looking rig, but I'm not going to cry over body damage. The possibility of damage in this sport is very high. If a person can keep their rig clean while 'Crawling the hardest trails, I would have more respect for them, than someone who beats the crap out of their 4x4......... just because.'

Also, there's preventative measures that can be taken. Rock Protection has been mentioned, and I'm a believer in using it. The best thing is learning how to drive and be cautious. How long will your rig last if you don't give a damn?

Moon

I feal that in a new rig or at least new to the driver, that if body damage is advoided for as long as possible this will make you a better driver. But do this on your own time or with people of the same skill level and attitude. If you have abunch of beaters and buggies in your group that could do rattlesnake in reverse then you will slow them up, and we all know speed is not the thing but everone gets sick of someone taking forever on a spot that didn't take anyone else long to get over, with out everone watching seeing carnage or at least alot of throtle giving it h*ll. And I don't know what your giving mepco 4x4 so much sh*t for? suka says stuff about his shop and dose buisness at least 3 out of 4 of his posts. and he has over 600 posts sence oct. and so do alot of the members. I don't sell or build 4x4 stuf to sell. but i do like to see what every one dose and can do because I thougth utah for being such a famous spot to off road didn't have that good of deals or really that good of places to go to build a really good ride. That is one reason I went way over budget on the wag and it is just sitting and why I spent a fortune and the rubicon. I didn't know anywere to go that wasnt going to charge me a fortune for labor and only put overpriced stuff that isn't really that good and still not have what I want and if it broke being up a creek. Remember its not what you know its who you know. to bad I don't know anything or anyone untill RME :) :D :cool:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
It wasnt that he was trying to sell stuff, just that he copped out that people with body damamge arent true wheelers or something to that effect.
You have to b e extra careful if your representing a company and saying stuff on a board with so many people here who spend alot of money on stuff. I am ALONG ways from being done or even really starting on my Tracker seriously. So far I know id buy from Rocklogic, Rocky Road, Anarchy, not sure who else posts here but I do look at CS, and rep first.

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I have been fortunate enough to wheel my rig for the past 7 years with a minimum of body damage and I don't baby it either. I like to have my jeep look good doing the thing I enjoy. I have added Avalanche body armor to protect the tub just in case. It is bound to happen someday!:D I wheel with some people whose rigs would be turned away by a junk yard, and I guess they don't care about their s**t, and that is their call. I guess what I am saying is you can play hard and still walk away.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I tell you what...when the "Mongrol" gets some body damage other than rick rash underneath... you guys will be the first to know...then my insurance adjuster...:D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by BlackSheep
man,
I'm waiting to hear from some of the other guys who compete......Suka doesn't have any body damage on his ride.....is he not a "True Wheeler"....what about Vonski....His truck is very clean....is he not a "True Wheeler"

umm, there is a difference between banging a piece of DOM tubing on a rock and a body panel. Tubing isn't particularly prone to damage beyond scratched paint. Both of these rigs are mostly tube--and if you look up close you might be surprised--these arn't show and shine trucks.

no offense guys

Cody

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by GroceryGetter

umm, there is a difference between banging a piece of DOM tubing on a rock and a body panel. Tubing isn't particularly prone to damage beyond scratched paint. Both of these rigs are mostly tube--and if you look up close you might be surprised--these arn't show and shine trucks.

no offense guys

Cody

yeah, I guess I was considering the tubing as part of the 'body' of the rig. Technically its not, but their rides are still clean, therefore minimal or no damage when possible.