Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Most of this info is on some other boards, but I'm starting to get to know more of you local guys that on here on RME so I figured I'd share some build info.

Current state of my truck.

2003 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab TRD
3.4L 5VZE V6
Stock Auto Trans
Stock t-case
Open front diff
Rear TRD e-locker

ARMOR:
Trail-Gear Low Profile front bumper (with custom light mounts)
Trail-Gear Rock sliders
Custom home-built Rear bumper with dual swingouts
Custom home-built IFS Skidplate
Custom home-built trans skidplate
Custom home-built belly Skidplate
Custom home-built rear frame reinforcement plates

SUSPENSION:
OME 882 front coils
OME Nitrocharger Sport front shocks
JK 10mm Trim Packer
Cornfed front diff drop
OME Dakar rear leaf springs
OME D6XL extra leaf
OME Nitrocharger Sport rear shocks (relocated)
All-Pro 1.5" extended rear shackles
Trail-Gear U-bolt flip
EVCO custom extended rear SS brakeline

WHEELS/TIRES:
15x8" Ultra Motorsport En4Cer Type 181 wheels (rattle canned black)
33x12.50 Goodyear MTR Kevlars
33x10.50 BFG KM2 spare on factory 7" steel wheel

MISC MODS:
ARB Safari Snorkel
Optima Red Top Battery
Front Seat swap from Suzuki Reno
HELLA Optilux 7" HIDs (x3) on front bumper
Custom home-built bed rack
Tepui Autana RTT with Annex
Portable CO2 tank
Bed-mounted custom Fridge Slide
ARB Fridge
Custom bed-mounted bucket seats (seating for 7)
Snugtop XTR fiberglass topper
Uniden Pro 520xl CB radio
Alpine Deck
LED rock lights
Hella Matador rear utility light
Custom rear seat area deck for fridge etc.

I found this truck on KSL a few years ago for a great deal. It was clean and well maintained with pretty low miles (85K). Had a small leveling kit when I got it.

First order of business was suspension and sliders. Got all the suspension goodies from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and went to town.
Out with the old

In with the new

Old

New

I started out with OME shackles and found that I needed a little extra height and better load capacity so I added the extra leaf and longer shackles.

Box Rocket

bored
Steve asked me about the tires last month too. Honestly the KM2s and the MTRs are both pretty good tires for a semi-aggressive tread that can still be comfortably driven on the road. My next set will probably be MTRs again, but if by some chance they aren't available, I'd have no problem getting another set of KM2s.

sixstringsteve

haha. I would buy them in a heartbeat if they had 3 ply sidewalls. I know their owners love them (except for the sidewall).

STAG

On my grind
Curious, what ply sidewall of the MTR-K do you have experience with? It looks like 6 or 8 are my options. I've never bought new tires for a vehicle this light before.

Box Rocket

bored
Some updates. Installed a new steering rack a few months back. Seems to be all good except for an inner tie rod that I exploded in Moab last month. Replaced the front brakes this week. I've been chasing a fix for poor caster and picked up a set of Light Racing upper control arms. With any luck I'll have them installed this weekend. That should take care of it. I'm considering replacing the rear OME springs with some Alpro Expo leaves. I've really liked the OME Dakar springs but I think I'm pushing the limits of their load capacity even with the extra leaf installed.

I picked up a set of Maxtrax from Kurt a month or so back too.

Only other change is that I sold my RTT to a fellow RME'er last week. Ordered a new one the next day and it should be delivered tomorrow. I'll have pics when I get it on the truck.

Box Rocket

bored
you're going to love the LR UCAs. How are you liking these tires?

Yeah the LR UCAs have been on my list for a long time I'm just finally getting to it. The BFG ATs that are on the truck right now are the wheels/tires off my FZJ80. The 80 is sitting on the side of the house for the time being so I'm running the AT's on the road to save the tread on my MTRs. Don't want to replace tires right away if I don't have to. All that said, I really like the ATs. This is the third set on the Cruiser. I have been impressed with them on the road and the last set had 70K miles on them before I replaced them. They still had tread left but the carcasses were starting to crack on the inside and leaking air. So longevity is awesome with these tires and I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how well they do offroad for an AT tire.

What tent did you order?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

So if you guys don't know yet, I'm a rep for Tepui. Since I have two tents I have intentionally selected two different types of tents since my tents are the "demo" ones that I can show customers. I have the Ruggedized one on the trailer so I can show all the cool features that come with a Ruggedized model and on the truck I'm using one of the "standard" model so that customers can see the differences between a "standard" and "ruggedized" version. But I did get this new tent in the same gray as my trailer tent. Gotta at least have them match in color right? :)

So the new tent on the truck is the Kukenam Sky which is a new model. The Sky models have a roof that is screened and can be opened up. The screens zip out too so you can stand up inside the tent too if you need to. I got it on the truck late last night. First impressions are good as expected. I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at the roof opening yet but should have time tonight.

Here's a stock image of the inside of the Sky model. One difference is the one I have has fabric covered bows. Not a huge deal but is a nice "fit-n-finish" detail.
DSC_6467_large.jpg

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
That is freakin cool. Congrats on becoming a tepui rep!

Thanks Steve. I'm keeping the "rep" side pretty low key on the boards for now. Tepui/Me are in the process of setting up vendor accounts on several boards, then I can be a bit more vocal about what I can do for everyone. I'll be handling all the social media/message board stuff for Tepui soon.

Box Rocket

bored
Ok here are some pics of the new tent. Pretty easy setup with the open ceiling. There is a "no-see-um" mesh window that can unzip, as well as an outer canvas window. The rainfly, unclips near the outside corners and rolls up at the center of the roofline. You can open just one side of the ceiling or both. Pretty nice.
New tent mounted on the truck

opened up

the parking lot was slanted, not the tent.

You can see both ceiling windows (mesh and canvas) rolled up to the centerline of the ceiling.

With them closed and the rainfly clipped back into place it looks/functions exactly the same as the normal Kukenam.

Box Rocket

bored
I picked up some 4.5" Glassworks fenders over the weekend. I need to get them painted but I'll probably have the stock fenders and maybe the snorkel for sale soon. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to try to keep the snorkel, or do something custom with it or just ditch it altogether. But if you're interested in any of it let me know.