Box Rocket Offroad Trailer Build

I had a few pictures of my trailer in my Tacoma build thread and had a few people ask for more details on the trailer, so here's a little build thread to hopefully give some ideas to those considering a trailer.

First off, I had no idea what I was going when I started this build. I knew what I wanted but had no experience with anything trailer related. I did lots of research and got some pointers from some good friends with trailers and off I went.

To start I needed an axle. I built the trailer originally to be towed behind my FZJ80 so I had Henderson Wheel on 1700 S and 300 E in SLC build me an axle to match the track width of the cruiser with the same lug pattern.

The basic idea for the trailer was something about the same size as an M416 1/4ton trailer. So I planned on a 4x6' box. I started with some 2.5" square tube and got to work on the frame. Outer dimensions of the frame are 4x6'.

cleaned up the corners

added some crossmembers

I used some 1.5" square tube for the box frame. I decided on 18" tub height. Used some high-tech string to help line them up. :)

Then it was some 1x3" rec tube for the top rails.

More to come........

Box Rocket

bored
But there was a problem with the tent mounted to the Thule bars on the trailer. It wasn't high enough to use the annex with the tent. The reason I bought the tent with the annex is because I have 4 kids and my wife isn't comfortable camping if we are in separate tents from the kids. So the plan was for the kids to sleep in the annex and my wife and I in the tent. So that brought about the next round of significant mods to the trailer.

I built a new tent rack for the trailer. I didn't want to always drive around with the tent up as high as it needed to be for the annex. So I made the rack telescoping. This allowed me to carry the tent at a low setting while driving and raise the tent to the proper height for the annex when camping. The rack is built from 1x2" rec tube for the tent platform with 1.25" square tube for the legs. The legs slide into 1.5" "female" tubes that are welded to the sides of the trailer. I got some spring loaded pop pins to lock the rack in either the low or high setting. I'm using a 50lb gas strut at each corner to help raise the tent. The struts are slightly too strong for the weight of the tent so lowering the tent is easier with two people (one on each side to pull it down) but i can do it solo without too much trouble. To help add a little weight to the rack so it wasn't as hard to lower, I added a folding camp table rack underneath the tent for a lifetime table. It's not a ton of weight but it helps.

To raise the tent I just pull the 4 pop pins and the tent raises itself to the high setting and the pins lock into place. To lower it, pull the pins and pull the rack back down until the pins lock into the low setting.

At the same time that I built the rack I built a swing out tire carrier since I had a spare for the trailer. It is a stupid simple design using hinges from Northern Tool and a hitch pin for a latch. I added some rubber bumpers to the swingout to keep it snug and rattle free against the tailgate.

Here's the pics testing the new tent rack for the first time. These are all at the low setting and you can see the new tire carrier.

Hitch pin latch for the tire carrier

Northern Tool hinges

Here's the rubber bumpers to keep it rattle free.

Here's the rack legs with the pop pin and gas strut visible

Simple handle welded to the rack to help pull the rack back down

4 pins pulled and up it goes.

The tent base sits at 6'1" so I can stand upright underneath the tent and that allows the full use of the annex.

Box Rocket

bored
A couple other small additions now that the tent rack was a success. I got my CO2 tank bracket mounted up again and added another spot for a fuel can on the tongue.

Then we put it to use. We took the family to California and camped for a week in the tent. Came home for two days just so we could do laundry and then packed up again for a road trip to South Dakota where we camped in the tent for another week. Everything worked great and I've been really pleased with the basic trailer and its ability to carry all our gear and follow the truck anywhere.

Rock Taco

very nice! I like that it continues to evolve the more you use it. At what point do you have to license it?

Box Rocket

bored
very nice! I like that it continues to evolve the more you use it. At what point do you have to license it?

Good question. When I originally built it I was told it didn't require a license because it was single axle and didn't hit a weight to require a license. I've forgotten what the weight limit is but it's still not that heavy a trailer and I've never had an issue with it. Never been stopped or even asked about a license.

Box Rocket

bored
I just looked up the weight. It has to weigh less than 750 lbs. http://dmv.utah.gov/trailers

Doesnt say anything about the number of axles. I would think that would be weight fully unloaded. Do you have any idea what it weighs now?

Yep, I just found it too. I don't have an exact number for the weight with the latest additions but I'd guess it's between 600-700 pounds empty with the RTT on it and the spare. If I wanted to be sneaky, I could pull the tire carrier and the tent rack and I'd bet its about 500lbs.

Rock Taco

I am not sure what other states requirements are? If your legal I wouldn't worry about it for here in Utah. The thing I would worry about though is if someone stole it there is no way to track it not having a VIN attached to it.

We had one stolen at work that didnt require any registration and we didnt have any pictures of it or anything.

Box Rocket

bored
I am not sure what other states requirements are? If your legal I wouldn't worry about it for here in Utah. The thing I would worry about though is if someone stole it there is no way to track it not having a VIN attached to it.

We had one stolen at work that didnt require any registration and we didnt have any pictures of it or anything.

Yeah, that's the only reason I'd worry about getting it registered was because of theft.

Fortunately 99% of the time its hooked to the truck with locking hitch pins or it's parked inside my garage. If it were parked outside, I'd be more worried about it.

Box Rocket

bored
The other thing, if I ever leave it in a campground like I have in Moab, I pull both ends of the coupler. It won't stop someone determined to take it, but it would stop someone from just hooking it up and taking off.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
scoutwbox.jpgThis is my old Scout 800 with a plywood box that carried everything needed for 2 adults and 4 kids. I was so proud of this but you really put me to shame. You have made a professional trailer for off-roading. Disregard the old Toyota in the foreground, Bob was my traveling buddy.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Awesome work man, I really like the work you've done on it. Regarding the issue of leaving the trailer at camp at times, why not create a male end with a butt plate? That way you can just stick the receiver in there blocking the hitch and then just put a lock on the pin? That way no one can hook up.

sixstringsteve

great work as always. I remember you passing me a few years back, on your way to the swell, with the trailer in tow. This thing is even cooler in person.

STAG

On my grind
Figurative question. If you were to sell your trailer setup AS-IS ( with the RTT and cooler/Jerry cans, but with an empty cargo area)

What price would you put on it?