Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Dude these vids are professional for sure, I'm excited to see this come together with these videos. Maybe I should start videoing my Chevy build. Thanks for the plug, and I dig the goatee Steve!

sixstringsteve

Thanks Chance. My videos are slowly getting better and better. I can make a much better video when I'm actually behind the lens instead of in front of it. If you had a video series of your Chevy build (and H3 build), I'd definitely watch it. You're always building cool stuff, and I never see it 'till 6 months after. :)

I've been meaning to hit you up about some aluminum bumper ideas. I don't know what your workload is like, but I'll shoot you a text.

If anyone else out there can benefit from video for their business, I'm always open to side or trade work.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

No kidding! I'm feeling the pressure. I hope to have it off of jackstands by this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Bart

Great video! You make all of your points well and add that great dry sense of humor. I usually have a tough time watching a video over 3 minutes, but yours actually hold my ADD attention span.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Bart, I'm glad it was engaging for you. I hate watching boring movies, so I try to keep mine interesting. The first few episodes were a bit heavy on the information and low on excitement, but now we're getting into the good stuff

Do you already have this worked out? How big of a logo are you thinking of?

Yes. BIG. like 4' tall and 5' wide.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've got the front axle under it now. Hopefully the front end is done by Friday night.

Saturday will be a big day. I could use some help getting the rear axle installed and welded up. If anyone wants to swing by and lend a hand, I'd be happy to provide lunch. Maybe we could have a BBQ. Let me know if anyone's interested in joining.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Ive been waiting for updates!!

I laughed through a good portion of this one.. I guess big heavy fords are a bit different than toyotas ;)

Bart

I was surprised that you've never had to deal with a u joint before. I felt your pain with those and the ball joints. Those are not fun jobs.

sixstringsteve

yeah, I've done lots of birfields and CVs, but suzukis and toyotas don't use ujoints (except for driveshafts), and I've only really worked on suzukis and toyotas. It's been a good learning experience.

Next time, I'm paying someone to redo the ball joints. I don't want to do that again unless I have to.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
That's how I feel about most of my Ford. I don't want to work on it. I'd rather have someone else. And then I get a price quote, and I think, that's why I have tools, suck it up. One more reason I just leave my truck stock, everything is so damn big and heavy. Even the turbo is as big as a watermelon. I've had to pull that out a few times on my truck, I can't imagine having to try to tackle that job on a van.

Having a turbo diesel is nice though. I won't ever complain about the power.

smartass_kid

great video and glad to see update! Quick idea i thought of when you were talking about van interior storage in older video, you could figure out some sort of sliding modular wall for different configurations. whether storing bikes or sleeping in van you could slide wall front or back as needed.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
A tip for you on messing with press fit parts (ball joints, ujoints, tie rod ends, and other). Take a small hammer maybe a ball peen, and hit the part on the edge (see picture). This will release the bind.

This works really well when you've already got the bj removal tool cranked down on the parts.

TRE's - hit the end of the knuckle. I've never needed a pickle fork since a friend showed me this tip. Just 1 good smack.

Ujoints - you can also use this after installing new joints. Tap those ears, and you'll notice the shafts articulate easier.

The idea is that you're momentarily distorting the shape of the circular opening and releiving the stress points/bind.

Attachments

• 2015-11-18 05.15.24.png
    2015-11-18 05.15.24.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 43

sixstringsteve

great video and glad to see update! Quick idea i thought of when you were talking about van interior storage in older video, you could figure out some sort of sliding modular wall for different configurations. whether storing bikes or sleeping in van you could slide wall front or back as needed.

I like this idea!

sixstringsteve

A tip for you on messing with press fit parts (ball joints, ujoints, tie rod ends, and other). Take a small hammer maybe a ball peen, and hit the part on the edge (see picture). This will release the bind.

This works really well when you've already got the bj removal tool cranked down on the parts.

TRE's - hit the end of the knuckle. I've never needed a pickle fork since a friend showed me this tip. Just 1 good smack.

Ujoints - you can also use this after installing new joints. Tap those ears, and you'll notice the shafts articulate easier.

The idea is that you're momentarily distorting the shape of the circular opening and releiving the stress points/bind.

Great tips, thanks. I was trying this initially (when I was pressing them the wrong direction), then I totally forgot to do it this direction.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Love the video, Steve! Thanks for bringing us along on your adventure. Watching you man-handle (get man-handled?) by that axle makes me glad I always just took my superduty down to Kevin at six states and let him deal with it!