Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

sixstringsteve

Yeah, I've had about 8 people tell me that now. :) After 17 years of using nothing but gasoline, and going to the "gas station", my brain still hasn't made the switch. Fortunately I now look for the diesel nozzle when I get to the station.

I had a close call last week, where I picked up a gas nozzle and hit the "diesel" button, but the button didn't work (since I hadn't picked up the diesel nozzle). Whoops. I'm getting used to looking for diesel now.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, I've had about 8 people tell me that now. :) After 17 years of using nothing but gasoline, and going to the "gas station", my brain still hasn't made the switch. Fortunately I now look for the diesel nozzle when I get to the station.

I had a close call last week, where I picked up a gas nozzle and hit the "diesel" button, but the button didn't work (since I hadn't picked up the diesel nozzle). Whoops. I'm getting used to looking for diesel now.

Yeah, that could be an expensive mistake... especially if you ran some gas into the diesel engine! :eek:

We've owned gas & diesel vehicles for many years and while my wife didn't drive a diesel before we met, she never once filled our diesel trucks or cars with gasoline.

Go to Europe and gas means LP or Natural Gas and Gasoline is Petrol.

True!

rholbrook

I worked at a gas station for a year or so when I was in High School and during that time I only had one person put regular in a diesel and one put diesel in a gas car. The diesel guy pushed his truck off to the side and drained his tank. The other scenario the lady caught it after only 5 gallons. They told her to finish filling up with premium and let it run through.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Contrary to popular belief, gas won't destroy a diesel. It will just barely run. On the other end of the spectrum, a gas motor will only run a short time on diesel before it fouls everything and won't run. We had an early 80's Chevy diesel that had a small block swapped in and one of the guys filled it with diesel since it still said diesel on the dash. He made it 1 mile from the station.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Episode 3: Pre-op

[video=youtube;1RWVulkxy0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWVulkxy0Q&list=PLWysv3wFKyy6D8gj8lWmAuB7B--nAeSOT&index=3[/video]

Corban_White

Steve, I do lots of off grid solar stuff at work. I would love to chat with you about what your goals are and how to accomplish them. Just let me know.

sixstringsteve

Build party starting tonight, going every day 'till early next week. Anyone is welcome to come. I'm happy to provide pizza.

Tonight
- extracting my stupid bolt
- removing the front axle
- removing the front shackles, etc.
- beginning drilling for the front hangers

Tomorrow night
- drilling and mounting the front spring hangers
- mocking up the rear shackle mount
- cutting off the stock shock towers and trimming the lower crossmember

Thursday night
- hoping my springs show up so I can mount them
- mount shock mounts
- mount front shocks

Friday night
- bolt up some front wheels and get the front buttoned up

Saturday
Get the rear spring swap done, and possibly get the rear axle in

Lots to do. Even if you don't know the business end of a hammer, you're welcome to come hang out. The weather should be great.

sixstringsteve

Does anyone in the Lehi/Highland/AF/Cedar Hills area have some shop/utility lights I could borrow for a week or two? I've purged most of my tools with my recent minimalist push, and I could really use some lights. It seems wasteful to purchase new lights just for a week.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Does anyone in the Lehi/Highland/AF/Cedar Hills area have some shop/utility lights I could borrow for a week or two? I've purged most of my tools with my recent minimalist push, and I could really use some lights. It seems wasteful to purchase new lights just for a week.

South Jordan, but I have PLENTY

sixstringsteve

Episode 4: Work Begins

[video=youtube;WKQQOWb2oMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKQQOWb2oMg&list=PLWysv3wFKyy6D8gj8lWmAuB7B--nAeSOT&index=4[/video]

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
That is sooo much work, and I imagine it takes twice as long to set up all the shots..
Good job, Steve.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Brian. I'm moving at a snail's pace. I wish I could clone myself several times. One to run the camera, one to edit, one to wrench, and one to rest. :) That being said, I REALLY enjoy making these videos. It helps that lots of people watch them, but I end up going back and re-watching a lot of them. It's like a journal for me, and it helps me keep track of what I've done to the rig.

The videography isn't the greatest in the world, but there's only so much you can do with a camera on a tripod with no cameraman.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've thought about making videos about fixing up Land Rovers. But it takes to Long. I'd rather just get the job done. I used to be big into build threads. Now I've either become lazy or to tired to care.