Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

sixstringsteve

So... question for the diesel guys.

This van has the 110v plug dangling in the front of it. I believe it's a block heater, is that what they're called? How do they work? Are they a coil that warms antifreeze and pumps it through the block? When should I use it? Will it wear anything out or hurt it if I leave it plugged in all night every night through the winter, for better starts in the morning?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
That's what its for - plug that baby in!
They came from the factory with the block heater. I didn't use mine much, it helps with starting a lot more if your glow plugs are going out. But as you know, its hard on these diesels to run them cold, so probably a good thing to plug it in.

Shouldn't be a problem to plug it in every night. It is especially helpful if the truck stays outside. Most are not quite as sophisticated as having a pump and all - usually just a heating element that replaces one of the freeze plugs in the block. Simple and very effective.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My 7.3 wouldn't start if it was not plugged in during winter. I would leave it plugged in 24/7 for weeks at a time in between use.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The heater works well, but it does trip breakers often. Pulls a lot of juice.

Yeah this can happen. Steve, your vans block heater should be around 1000watts which requires a 10 amp or higher--preferably higher--circuit. I'd recommend spending the cash on a high quality extension cord and keeping it in the van as well.

idahoyj

My 7.3 wouldn't start if it was not plugged in during winter. I would leave it plugged in 24/7 for weeks at a time in between use.
My neighbor used to leave his plugged in 24/7 for weeks at a time too. One day he finally went out to start his LOW mile 7.3l and noticed the radiator was leaking. Truck wouldn't start either..... He had it towed to the dealer who figured out that there was a short in the block heater that ran electricity through the motor/radiator for who knows how long! Motor was junk. Now it's got a brand new 7.3!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Yeah this can happen. Steve, your vans block heater should be around 1000watts which requires a 10 amp or higher--preferably higher--circuit. I'd recommend spending the cash on a high quality extension cord and keeping it in the van as well.

This, when I still had my Dodge I had it plugged in with a crappy old extension cord. I came outside one day to the extension cord smoking and it was fused to the cord coming out of the block heater. Buy an extension cord with a decent gauge wire.

boogie_4wheel

Steve, if you know when you are going to leave, put a timer on the block heater. Set for 3-4hrs before engine start. You can leave it plugged in after starting to aid in engine warm up during the first few minutes of idling (ice scraping, packing lunch, ect).
In the event that you are unable to plug it in overnight and are having starting issues the next morning, you can cycle the glow plugs more than once. After the 'Wait To Start' light goes out, shut off the key and turn it back on again and this will cycle the plugs a 2nd time. Helps when really cold and you are having a hard time getting it to fire.

Bart

I never had one trip a breaker on any of my 7.3s, and although 1 of them required the plug to start on cold mornings, the other 2 did not. I would plug them in on really cold nights so the heater would work quicker in the morning.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
X2 on all of the above.

Before plugging it in you can ohm out the heater element. High resistance is good.
The cords are replaceable seperate from the element. The are usually poorly routed and are susceptible to damage from heat, fluids and ozone. A genuine Motocraft unit is like $18.

I'd definitely recommend a spare element or expandable rubber freeze plug to be thrown in your spares kit in case it ejects while out exploring.

Rick hooked my 7.3 up with a charger under the hood tied into a triple tap outlet so when I plug the block heater in the batteries get topped off as well.

It works flawlessy and will keep your windows defrosted as long as you leave the defrost selected on the hvac panel on shutdown.

It is normal to hear a slight buzz, humm, crackle, boil sound when it is plugged in.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Also, the 7.3 SHOULD not have any issues firing up stone cold assuming the batteries are healthy, starter is registering 250rpm on the tach and ALL 8 glow plugs are heating.

The cranking speed and voltage/amperage availability are absolutely critical on the PS. Tight, clean connections go a long way on these engines. That includes the regular alternator, ground and positve connectors but also the starter relay, glow plug relay and starter connections.

The Under Valve Cover Harness and harness connectors are a good item to check before it gets too cold.

sixstringsteve

X2 on all of the above.

Before plugging it in you can ohm out the heater element. High resistance is good.
The cords are replaceable seperate from the element. The are usually poorly routed and are susceptible to damage from heat, fluids and ozone. A genuine Motocraft unit is like $18.

I'd definitely recommend a spare element or expandable rubber freeze plug to be thrown in your spares kit in case it ejects while out exploring.

Rick hooked my 7.3 up with a charger under the hood tied into a triple tap outlet so when I plug the block heater in the batteries get topped off as well.

It works flawlessy and will keep your windows defrosted as long as you leave the defrost selected on the hvac panel on shutdown.

It is normal to hear a slight buzz, humm, crackle, boil sound when it is plugged in.

Man, that would be an awesome setup. Thanks for all the info.

sixstringsteve

Episode 6: Finishing the Axle

[video=youtube;y39jCMKJz5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39jCMKJz5s&index=6&list=PLWysv3wFKyy6D8gj8lWmAuB7B--nAeSOT[/video]