Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Those ignition actuators are a pita. Believe it or not yours is greatly improved compared to the one in my 91.

I'd look at the throw on the ignition actuator. I'm not sure on your style but with the older ones (like mine) you can easily be off a tooth or two and there won't be enough 'throw' to engage the starter. I wonder if you're off a tooth... if that makes sense.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, that makes sense by being a tooth off. I'll have to play with that. The good news is that I don't have to pull the entire steering wheel off to do that again.

I tried a bunch of different positions, and I think I nailed it on this one, but I could easily be one tooth off. I'll play with that.

sixstringsteve

Andrew, you are the man. It was one tooth off. It took 5 min to rotate, and now it starts like a champ!

Thank you so much everyone!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Steve, I had a thought the other day about something you could add to your website. The thought came about because I was talking to my co-worker who was talking about buying a motor home when he retires and driving it all over. I mentioned what you guys had done then went to your site to show your setup and explain quickly what you guys were doing. I was thinking maybe adding a few pictures to the "Our Story" section would help people be able to visualize who you guys are and what your current setup is. I know you have the van specs elsewhere (I didn't see those the other day but found them tonight) and the same with the airstream. Is there a picture of you, Tess, and Fender together static somewhere easy to see on the site?

Just a thought. I get excited for you guys the closer it gets to departure time...

sixstringsteve

Great suggestion, we need to add that. We are going to do an "our story" video soon, but a static placeholder is a great idea right now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not sure of my demographic (whatever that is---grumpy, bald, middle aged white guy?) but I RARELY watch videos online. I would prefer to read and see pictures. I'm not sure what your video demographic is and this may not apply to a lot of people but I'd prefer kind of a "trip report" type format over a video. I am quite interested in your life changes and how you're doing things but haven't spent the time to watch a lot of your videos. I would assume that I'm a bit of a minority but not sure?

sixstringsteve

I doubt you're the minority. It's quicker and easier to skim through a bunch of photos than watch an entire video series, and a lot of viewers don't want to hear us drone on about the details.

At the moment we don't have time to do both, but we would definitely like to capture the non video audience in the future. Once we hit the road we will see if we have more time to beef up our photos on the blog.

I think the reason we like video so much is in case someone wants to recreate the trip, they can get a much better idea of what it looks like. A video of someone going up escalator tells me a lot more than a series of photos.

Our instagram account is 99% photos, but they're not as detailed as a true photo trip report. I'm not sure if you instagram or not, but that's a good way to start following us. We promise that we will do a better job of posting pics on the blog once we leave. That's tess' job moving forward. Our blog is on our website: themoreweexplore.com/blog
Unfortunately the blog is all video right now, but that will change in a month.

At the moment videos make the most sense for us, but we would like to include photos eventually. We are really pushing to grow the YouTube channel as much as possible at the moment.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I FINALLY got another episode of this build edited. Hopefully the next episode is done in less than 3 months this time.

[video=youtube;wzsHQjWLzbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzsHQjWLzbo&index=7&list=PLWysv3wFKyy6D8gj8lWmAuB7B--nAeSOT[/video]

sixstringsteve

this is a more recent video of our Aluminess step install.

[video=youtube;hPsDgueMaVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsDgueMaVM[/video]

sixstringsteve

So, I've been told it's a matter of WHEN, not if, this tranny (i think it's a e4od, maybe a4r100?) goes. I have 133k on the van. The previous owner upgraded the torque converter to an rv torque converter and added a tranny cooler.

I'll be towing the airstream (8000 lbs) 1-3 times a month. I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. How weak is the 4r100? I'm not pushing high hp or torque.

It seems like I have a few options.

1. Leave it as is and hope to get a good 10 years of use out of it.
2. Have a local trans shop upgrade it
3. Drive to bds, pay $3500 and have a bulletproof trans that will never let me down (total overkill, I'll never see more than 300hp or high torque)

What would you do? How strong are these transmissions? And when a tranny goes, does it go all at once, or does it slowly shoe signs of issues.

I'm planning to just leave it as is and see how long it lasts. I'll keep an eye out for signs that it's struggling. But I know lots of you guys know a lot more than me about this than I do. I really appreciate your advice.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
How much is peace of mind worth to you?

Assuming the transmission is healthy now, I'd drive it. If/when the transmission goes, it probably won't strand you - there will likely be signs of impending doom long before it dies completely.

When it does die, upgrade it.

sixstringsteve

If it doest leave me stranded all at once, I'll just run what I've got for now and keep the funds in the bank for a bus setup one day.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Throw a big cooler on it. Maybe the unit with a fan. Also install a temp gauge to keep an eye on things. Change the fluid every year. Wire the fan to a switch you can turn on when temps rise - usually at low speeds.
Should help.