Build (?) thread...offroad trailer

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Any reason you used a bolt and the bracket over just a regular eye bolt for the cooler hold down?

Not really...mostly because I don't have any eye bolts here, and I did have the other stuff. :) It does move the strap that much closer to the cooler, which may or may not matter at all.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You know what I used for zip tie tabs on my car hauler trailer build?
Washers. put them in a vise half-way and hammer them until they have a 90* bend. Easy to weld and no sharp edges to debur or file so the zip-tie doesn't get cut.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Finished up the platform on the tongue that can hold whatever. Looks like this:

I put extra tie down points on it because I really don't know what will go there. My thoughts are either a cooler or a couple water jugs, but it could easily have a spare tire or whatever else up there.

Fits this cooler well, since that's what size I made it.

Fits two water jugs reasonably well also.

amp713

Funny story... Buddy sent me a bunch of pics of a trailer build, said "you need to make this for your jeep!" I asked where he found it and he said someone else sent it to him from some jeep forum they googled up. Decided to check yours out as i hadnt looked at it yet (dont know why since ive been debating on making a trailer) and BOOM same pics as my buddy sent me!!!! Your trailer is famous man!!!!! I do love it and am gonna try to make one like it!!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Funny story... Buddy sent me a bunch of pics of a trailer build, said "you need to make this for your jeep!" I asked where he found it and he said someone else sent it to him from some jeep forum they googled up. Decided to check yours out as i hadnt looked at it yet (dont know why since ive been debating on making a trailer) and BOOM same pics as my buddy sent me!!!! Your trailer is famous man!!!!! I do love it and am gonna try to make one like it!!!

That's pretty interesting. Are you sure the "some jeep forum" wasn't just RME? ;)

amp713

Probably but he had it sent to him from another friend and wasnt sure where he found it haha

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I'm done! :eek: Always scary, since I'm sure I'll find something I forgot to do, or wished I would have added, or something--right after it's all painted. :p

Anyway, the last couple things:

Safety chain attachment/tongue foot/skid/rest/thing. The tongue jack I ended up with is there too.

Other side, with the jack folded. I had to modify the jack a little to make it taller--just cut the mounting bracket off the tube, and moved it up 5" or so.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Dang it. This makes me want to get mine finished. It looks really good. I wish I had the skill and tools to pull off something this nice.

Get 'er done! Trailers are awesome....I'm an expert. (you know...since I've used mine a total of never...)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Picked it up from the powdercoater this morning. :cool:

The semi-gloss black really highlights how much the floor puckered from welding it underneath. No big deal, just noticeable.

BIG thanks to Gordon at Full Blown Powdercoating for getting this done so fast! I was under no time constraints and told him so, but he still got it done in 3 days. That's sandblasted, coated with a zinc primer, then color coated. Check him out at http://fullblowncoatings.com/ and tell him I sent you. :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
A bit of work later, and it looks like this.

Used these little rubber bumpers where the tailgate closes. Makes the latching really positive, since it has tension against it from the squishiness of the rubber. :cool:

He coated my tie-down loops too.

I love the way the thick finish of powder makes my welds look all smooth. :D Even mediocre welds look like real welds once they get hidden.

Now I just have a little time to spend wiring, plus I got a rubber truck bed mat off KSL that I need to cut to size and put in the bottom. I'm excited to use it!