Build (?) thread...offroad trailer

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The cost depends on if you believe my wife's numbers, keeping track of what I spent, or my numbers which come from my memory. :D I think she included things in the trailer price, that were purchased WITH trailer supplies, but not to be used on the trailer.

Either way, I think the total is somewhere between $800 and $1000. Man hours are even harder to know, since I didn't keep track of those at all. Rough guess, maybe 20-30 hours?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
How tall did you go on the sides? I'm trying to decide 18" or 24" for mine.

Mine are just 15" tall.

Can we see your square tube bender setup? I've been looking at making this one: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1112827

That idea is what got me started, but I ended up just making a die to fit in my bender. Laminated plate steel construction. The only pic of it I have was from when I was mocking it up for the first time, so it's not great. You can see how I did it though...1/4" steel on the outsides making the flange to contain the tubing, 3/8" thick plates making up the majority of the middle, and a 1/4" piece in the center forming the crush bead. I also added a piece cut from 20ga, just so it's not a press-fit onto the tube. I can remove the 1/4" center piece if I want to bend 3/4" tube, or add an extra 1/4" center to bend 1 1/4". (in theory, anyway...haven't tried anything beyond the 1" you've seen)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't think I want to post what the powder coating cost, just in case he wouldn't want to do it again for that price. ;) I thought it a very reasonable price though.

My calculations said it should weigh around 300 lbs without the axle/wheels/tires on it. Two people can carry it pretty easily, so I'm thinking it might have come in a bit lighter than I expected.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Took it for a spin today! It tows like a trailer.

Couple little things to finish, mostly on the Jeep side of things. The Currie bumper doesn't have any spot for safety chains (I don't think it was really intended to tow anything with), and I need to secure the trailer wiring somehow. A high-angle/offroady trailer hitch would be dandy too, as discussed earlier--but this thing is ready for use now. :cool: Too bad camping season is basically over. :(

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Have you put any thought into reinforcing the bumper/hitch other than adding the safety chain loops? Like you said, I don't think the Currie (or any other similar bumper) is designed to actually tow anything.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Wanna make another? hahaha

Sure, as long as you're willing to pay me what my time is worth....which would end up being what is probably a ridiculous price for a trailer like this. ;)

Have you put any thought into reinforcing the bumper/hitch other than adding the safety chain loops? Like you said, I don't think the Currie (or any other similar bumper) is designed to actually tow anything.

Not really. Even with this trailer behind, I still don't think I'm towing anything. :D

amp713

I hauled a 1969 jet camper to idaho for hunting then drove home, about 14 hours trailered plus the time spent driving up to the trail heads and such. Used a smittybilt rear bumper with tire carrier.... May not be the same but it still handled it.