Build (?) thread...offroad trailer

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I finally got a chance to get out and use this thing....it works! :greg:

20 internet points to whoever can name where this pic was taken.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Little update--since I seem to be dragging this behind my 4runner rather than my Jeep, I can't share a spare tire. So I picked up another one, and made this little clamp-on mount for it. It has a little sheet of rubber underneath, so it shouldn't disturb the powdercoat. :) I also made the "wingnut" on the front to mostly match the one on my Currie tire carrier on the Jeep, just because. :greg:

It won't really hold any weight at all, the tire rests on the tongue and is held by this strap. The bracket really just has to keep the tire from wobbling front to rear.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Safe to assume that the Jeep and the 4Runner share the same diameter tire, too, right? Pretty cool idea!

Nope, the Jeep is 33's on 5x4.5" rims, the 4runner is 31's on 6x5.5". The trailer is 32's on 5x4.5", which is why I intended originally to just share the Jeep spare tire. Being behind my 4runner is the reason the trailer needs its own spare. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nice build! Makes me want get going on my stalled prodject!

I really like the gate latches, where did you get them & how are they holding up?

Ebay. They're Chinese knock-offs of a DeStaCo latch. Smaller than I expected them to be, but so far they've been just fine.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Did you have pictures anywhere of your trailer with that canvas cover on it? I'm thinking that I might try and do something like that for mine before a trip next week to try and keep some of the dust out. How has it worked for you Carl?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It worked great the one trip I used it on. I'm looking for a picture, I'm sure I took one or two....

If I were to do it over, I'd do the "box" style top instead of the flat one I did. Think of your trailer as a shoebox, and the lid is made of canvas or vinyl. Then you just need tie down points down low on the outside of the box, and some bungee balls to hook it all together.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Here are a couple. You can see the multiple grommets I had put in for varying heights of stuff inside.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thanks for adding those pictures. Yeah I think I'm going to see if Kirkhams has a heavy canvas tarp thats a little oversized for my box that I can drape over and tie down on the sides. I don't know that that would keep all the dust out but if it helps a little it would probably be worth it.