Build (?) thread...offroad trailer

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I thought I read in here where you picked up your black floor pad for the trailer but couldn't find it. I've checked at Napa and Marshalls without any luck. Napa couldn't find it in their book and Marshalls only had it 3' wide and it was pretty pricy. Any tips on where to look locally?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I thought I read in here where you picked up your black floor pad for the trailer but couldn't find it. I've checked at Napa and Marshalls without any luck. Napa couldn't find it in their book and Marshalls only had it 3' wide and it was pretty pricy. Any tips on where to look locally?

Mine is just a truck bed mat, I picked up used from KSL and cut down.

carsonc1974

You can buy rubber sheets from any farm store like cal ranch or tractor supply. I think its made for putting down in horse/stock trailers.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You can buy rubber sheets from any farm store like cal ranch or tractor supply. I think its made for putting down in horse/stock trailers.

Those are normally only 4' wide though, right? Would have been fine for my trailer, but IIRC nnnnnate's is wider.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
No that should work for my trailer, inside measurement is like 45". Thanks for the tip, I may head out to IFA this evening.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Added a holder for a Scepter can to each side of the trailer, one on each side. Should have done that in the beginning, before it was powder coated....oh well.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Carl, I wanted to revive this and ask if you had any info/updates.
How has it worked out and is there anything you'd change?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like it's been working well to me!

P1010519-X2.jpg

P1010297-X2.jpg

P1010523-X2.jpg

P1010583-X2.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It has worked great, the only real change I'd make (and still need to) is to cut off the bottom of the fenders where they hang below the tube mounting it. You can see how I bent them in the last pic Greg posted. :) They got pinched between rocks and the tire, and I had to bend them back out of the way, several times.

We've thought about putting the ARB fridge in it, but that starts down a slippery slope of mods compared to the simple/functional way it is now. I'd want to add a battery to run the fridge. Then I'd need to re-wire the TJ and trailer to charge that battery. Then maybe consider a lid to secure the fridge and cargo. Since the lid is a PITA, maybe add a drawer or fridge slide. As long as drawers are there, maybe a small grill or sink. Etc. :D Pretty soon my lightweight trailer is doubled in weight and complexity, and stops working as well as it does.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It has worked great, the only real change I'd make (and still need to) is to cut off the bottom of the fenders where they hang below the tube mounting it. You can see how I bent them in the last pic Greg posted. :) They got pinched between rocks and the tire, and I had to bend them back out of the way, several times.

We've thought about putting the ARB fridge in it, but that starts down a slippery slope of mods compared to the simple/functional way it is now. I'd want to add a battery to run the fridge. Then I'd need to re-wire the TJ and trailer to charge that battery. Then maybe consider a lid to secure the fridge and cargo. Since the lid is a PITA, maybe add a drawer or fridge slide. As long as drawers are there, maybe a small grill or sink. Etc. :D Pretty soon my lightweight trailer is doubled in weight and complexity, and stops working as well as it does.

You think way too much. :D

Laurynas

Any lid ideas? Maybe strut assist.

This 90 deg latch would be cool on tail gate. Maybe a safety pin as well. Keeping tail gate tight keeps it quite.

http://www.goodhanduk.co.uk/Catalog...rsions/Latch-Toggle-Clamp-Size-900Kg-GH-40344

So the inside dimensions on box?

WMS of axle?
Trailer looks
Not planning on any lid.

I have toggle clamps very similar to what you linked. :cool: They're chinese and smaller than I expected, but I'll try them out. If I don't like them, I can spring for the De-Sta-Co latches.

Box is 42"x60" I.D., axle is 60" WMS-WMS.
Trailer looks killer! I just wanted to point out, that toggle clamps by Goodhand or Destaco are more designed as workholding tool. I would suggest to use quick release toggle latches. One of these would look nice in my opinion: https://www.ojopsweden.com/product-tag/military-latches/

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Trailer looks killer! I just wanted to point out, that toggle clamps by Goodhand or Destaco are more designed as workholding tool. I would suggest to use quick release toggle latches. One of these would look nice in my opinion: https://www.ojopsweden.com/product-tag/military-latches/
Thanks! I agree, those look like nice latches. But AFAIK the cheesy little ones I used are still working fine. We'll have to ask @Hickey though, he's owned it for the last couple years. :)