Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

STAG

On my grind
The bad stuff I've heard is shotty prep work and not warranting peeling clear coat.

And Steve, I'm by no means an "anti-hunter", I have a share of slewn animals (mainly duck, and a handful of buck deer) but all animals were always taken within constraints of the law and in "good sportsmanship". I have been hunting with a person who by definition has poached (taking more ducks that the limit, or shooting animals illegally/out of season, having too many shot shells in at one time etc.. and I don't hunt with him anymore.

All that being said, it is still a sad experience when an animal doesn't die immediately. I shot one buck in the spine (unknowingly) and it dropped straight to the ground. It felt like a good clean kill up until I walked up to it and it got up on its front legs trying to get away and my dad hopped on its back and slit its throat. Sorry for the visual, just want to kind of gve you a heads up on something you could run into if you do go hunt. I've had several ducks I've had to "finish off" to put out of pain. You almost have to develop an extra layer of skin.

Btw if/when you do decide to do a hunt just know you'll always have me as a contact (as I'm sure with many others here on RME) to go with you and give our help.

Sorry for the depressing thread [/derail]

XJEEPER

http://bullbarsaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Holden-VE-McCann.png

Might be overkill......glad you're OK. I built a "forest rat deflector" XJ bumper a few years ago for a buddy who lives back East in white tail deer-ville. Bumper was similar to yours, with a center hoop and side bars to deflect. It's survived multiple deer strikes, with the only damage being some scuffed paint on the bumper and a cracked blinker housing.

Last edited:

LT.

First and foremost, I am glad y'all were not hurt or injured. But, I am suprised you did not stop and make sure the deer was down. This suprised me because of your writings. You stike me as the kind of fella who does not let things go to waste. You often write about buying things used and trying to maximizing space and not buying into items everyone else does. Just thought it was odd given your adventures and your writing. One of these days I would very much like to meet you in person. Perhaps over lunch or something.

LT.

sixstringsteve

I imagine there were a few factors at play.

1) It was 12:00 AM and we still had 3 hours of driving to do to get to our campsite.

2) I've never hit a deer before, and I don't know what standard protocol is. My initial thought was to make sure my family was safe, and that my truck was good to keep driving the rest of the trip. The deer flew off the road, so I wasn't worried about anyone else hitting it.

3) Adrenaline was pretty high, and it made me sad to hit the deer. I was shaken, but not too bad.

4) Let's assume it wasn't dead and it was just sitting there struggling. What am I supposed to do, shoot it in the head? I have no clue what the laws are regarding shooting wild animals to put them out of their misery. Would it be considered hunting? My life wasn't in danger, so I didn't think of drawing my firearm. Also, I don't know enough about deer medicine to know at what point it can recover on its own and at what point I should put it out of its misery.

I try to be the type of fella who doesn't let things go to waste, but it's not like I was going to throw it in the back of the truck and eat the meat. I don't want it to suffer more than it needed to, but I don't know what the laws are, and I don't feel qualified to determine at which point an animal is past the point of no return.

Last edited:

ricsrx

I guess you can only drive highway 6 so many times before hitting a deer there.

Ok, time for me to knock on wood. having grown up in Price I have driven that road more that I can count in all the worst weather still do several times a month and stand when I was young and dumb and full of ***, I would race it as fast as I could (yes I was the kid in the rx7 driving like an ass hat, SLC to Price=50 min was my best time)..... any way, no accidents and no deer..

Last edited:

theferg

DD for Life
When I was in high school. a buddy of mine hit a deer in his little plymouth car. Caused a bunch of damage to the car and took the deer down to wear it couldn't walk or move, but we could see it was still alive. So one of our other buddies that was with us, grabbed its head and broke its neck to put it out of its misery. Not something I would be able to stomach doing, but prob was the "best' thing for the deer as it was suffering.

If it were me in that situation Steve, I think I prob woulda acted just about exactly the same as you did. And I am also a bit of an animal sympathizer.

Cascadia

Undecided
Ok, time for me to knock on wood. having grown up in Price I have driven that road more that I can count in all the worst weather still do several times a month and stand when I was young and dumb and full of ***, I would race it as fast as I could (yes I was the kid in the rx7 driving like an ass hat, SLC to Price=50 min was my best time)..... any way, to accidents and no deer..
Wow. That's averaging 144 mph for 120 miles. You sure?

STAG

On my grind
Steve I believe it comes down to "your best judgement". Obviously every situation is different. I think in your situation here, if you noticed the deer was still alive, however with how you describe the accident, it sounds like the deer would have been dead, or if nothing else past the point of no return.

At that point, I believe you are fully in right to shoot the animal to put it down. My cousin is a fish and game cop, I'll double check the "proper protocol"

STAG

On my grind
I do know for a fact though if you do decide to put it down, it would be a good idea to call DNR and explain the situation.

edit* I also reccomend against doing that within city limits ha.

Last edited:

ricsrx

my buddy hit a deer, the UHP that stopped at the scene, didn't say anything about the welfare of the deer but he did say that the state of Utah try's to keep track of every deer hit on the road and they figured that the state would loose a lot of money in lost revenue..

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Why report it if it could possibly incriminate yourself? F that.

If you feel the need to put it out of it's misery that's between you and animal in my opinion. Do what you feel is necessary and then continue on your way.

Jeepj667

First and foremost, I am glad y'all were not hurt or injured. But, I am suprised you did not stop and make sure the deer was down. This suprised me because of your writings. You stike me as the kind of fella who does not let things go to waste. You often write about buying things used and trying to maximizing space and not buying into items everyone else does. Just thought it was odd given your adventures and your writing. One of these days I would very much like to meet you in person. Perhaps over lunch or something.

LT.

I imagine there were a few factors at play.

1) It was 12:00 AM and we still had 3 hours of driving to do to get to our campsite.

2) I've never hit a deer before, and I don't know what standard protocol is. My initial thought was to make sure my family was safe, and that my truck was good to keep driving the rest of the trip. The deer flew off the road, so I wasn't worried about anyone else hitting it.

3) Adrenaline was pretty high, and it made me sad to hit the deer. I was shaken, but not too bad.

4) Let's assume it wasn't dead and it was just sitting there struggling. What am I supposed to do, shoot it in the head? I have no clue what the laws are regarding shooting wild animals to put them out of their misery. Would it be considered hunting? My life wasn't in danger, so I didn't think of drawing my firearm. Also, I don't know enough about deer medicine to know at what point it can recover on its own and at what point I should put it out of its misery.

I try to be the type of fella who doesn't let things go to waste, but it's not like I was going to throw it in the back of the truck and eat the meat. I don't want it to suffer more than it needed to, but I don't know what the laws are, and I don't feel qualified to determine at which point an animal is past the point of no return.

I know other states are different, but in Utah it's illegal to collect roadkill.