Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Farewell Carlos, you were a fantastic vehicle. This rig had 237k on it when i sold it, and with over 20k off road miles in the past 2 years it never once broke or left me stranded. It did the Rubicon without needing a strap, and it drove 85 mph there and back with zero issues. This has been a fantastic truck. Many thanks to all my friends who helped build it with me and make memories on trips together.

20140724_105221.jpg

sixstringsteve

I have zero negative feelings about this truck, it has been my favorite rig by far. Any negatives are because I modified it.

Depending on how hard you drive it, you can go through more suspension parts (mainly bushings) than the regular person. I went through a set of rear OME bushings in less than 2.5 years, as well as a set of Light Racing UCA bushings (the old style), but it saw a LOT of offroad use. In the winter the bushings in the front get hard and you hear a little clunk every now and then when going over bumps, but in the summer when the rubber is warmer I don't hear it.

It served its intended build extremely well. Since I don't crawl much anymore, it didn't make sense to keep driving it around on 35s, despite the 20+ mpg. The big tires, lift, and armor hurt its road manners. Taking the front sway bar off made it a little less friendly on the twisty roads (more body roll). I think if I had kept the front sway bar on I would have liked it better on the street.

The OME suspension with the light racing upper controls arms up front are amazing. The rear leafs were matched well, but they sagged over time. With the overload leaf it's perfect now. I love the nitrocharger sport shocks, night and day difference between bilsteins.

I truly believe this motor will do another 240k without any issues.

The storage beind the rear seats is nice. There's good room for passengers in the back, and I loved the 4runner seat upgrade. The bed wasn't huge, but it's carried 10 people and their gear to the trailhead. These are fantastic trucks, and I will really miss this one.

If anyone were buying a doublecab, this is what I would recommend:
- get the ball joints replaced with OEM ones asap.
- keep your AFM and TPS clean
- don't go over 32" tires without regearing
- make sure to plate the frame before it sags
- don't buy a rusty one
- keep up with timing belts and oil changes and you should be good for a LONG time.

Terryinrevy

Any rubbing without a 1" body lift??

Hi im new to this site and from canada I love what you have done to your truk and i am wanting to do the tubbing for the same tires you run. I was told to run a one inch body lift but i like what you have done. however i did see a pic of your fender flair off in you box. Did the 35s do that on some tough wheeling? If so were you able to rectify the issue? I don't want to run a body lift as i want to do the same as you have done but I'm about to do the tubbing and just wanted you hear you thoughts. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks six string

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG
[/QUOTE]

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Not sure when Steve will see this so I'll chime in. Lower/Outer corners were cut off with sawsall and grinder then patches were welded on. Keep keep a wet rag and extinguisher handy, the interior steel coatings like to catch fire. The patch panels are the pieces with no texture. The textured parts are original metal, pounded back with a sledge hammer to give the needed clearance. Entire thing coated with spray can undercoating, I think.

sixstringsteve

I've replied twice now, but I'm having issues on the mobile. Sorry.

Body lift is not necessary, as long as you're willing to trim your flares. I'm not sure which picture you're referring to witg the fender off, but once I trimmed my fenders and flares, the tires didn't touch them. If there's a pic without the flares on, it's because I removed them, not because my tire did.

I've tubbed 3 Tacomas, a 3rd gen 4runner, and 2 pickups for 35s with no lift. It can be done without a body lift, but you'll need to trim more sheet metal, and be willing to trim your black fender flares.

nelsonedward23

I've replied twice now, but I'm having issues on the mobile. Sorry.

Body lift is not necessary, as long as you're willing to trim your flares. I'm not sure which picture you're referring to witg the fender off, but once I trimmed my fenders and flares, the tires didn't touch them. If there's a pic without the flares on, it's because I removed them, not because my tire did.

I've tubbed 3 Tacomas, a 3rd gen 4runner, and 2 pickups for 35s with no lift. It can be done without a body lift, but you'll need to trim more sheet metal, and be willing to trim your black fender flares.

same as terryinrevy im new here and wanting to do the same tubbing so i can run 35s with just the leveling thats on it, do you have any pictures of the fender wells either in process or after? nuts and bolts is one thing for me but body work a completely new field.