Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

Troop92

I have had my OME setup (nitrocharger sports all around and springs rear) for over a year now and love them. They have a nice ride but are good at soaking up washboard/rutted roads at speed.

jccobia

I have had my OME setup (nitrocharger sports all around and springs rear) for over a year now and love them. They have a nice ride but are good at soaking up washboard/rutted roads at speed.

That trooper of his doesn't mess around either. Pushes the pace of my tacoma and his buddies seriously built jeeps. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a trooper after running old ward and farmington flats with him.

sixstringsteve

I've had OME lifts on my past 3 rigs and I've been very happy with the setup. For me, they're the perfect balance between simple, street capable, and great off road.

Although the spacer lift is fine, it doesn't give me any increased travel or valving for off road. I'm not super stoked with the alignment I have, so I'm thinking of adding some LR UCAs. I figure I might as well get the full OME suspension since I have to take the front end apart anyway. I'll probably end up with the full OME setup by the end of this week.

For those who've had OME on a 4th gen, any regrets? I'm a little worried the rear springs will be too firm since they're 40% stiffer than stock. Do these coils ever soften up over time?

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
I did the OME heavy f/r on my 4th gen. Unloaded the rear was stiff, but loaded with gear it was perfect. I helped my friend with an Icon setup last night, after we finished we went for a ride. If I were building up another 4runner I would certainly go for the Icon suspension he chose.

sixstringsteve

I had icons on my tacoma and I much prefered my OMEs. My icons leaked after 6 months and had to be rebuilt.

What year is your friend's runner?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

that's good feedback though, thanks Moody. With this being my primary winter vehicle, and with all the salt we have on the roads, coilovers don't make sense unless I want them rebuilt every year.

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
True. For the cost and effective lift an OME system is the ticket, especially if you're going to do new UCA's.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We also had the OME suspension w/ stiffer rear springs. It was rough unloaded, but perfect with a load back there. Weather it was camping gear, pulling a utility trailer or the motorcycle on the hitch-hauler... the stiffer springs were nice.

Troop92

Maybe it's because that's all I've had in the Trooper, but it don't find the HD OME springs stiff and harsh... Trooper probably has a bit more weight out back, though.

sixstringsteve

We also had the OME suspension w/ stiffer rear springs. It was rough unloaded, but perfect with a load back there. Weather it was camping gear, pulling a utility trailer or the motorcycle on the hitch-hauler... the stiffer springs were nice.

You actually had the softer rear springs (but still stiffer than stock). the 895s are 40% stiffer than stock and the 896s are even stiffer than those. I don't want a rough ride when unloaded. I think I'll give toytec a call tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Greg, did the front springs feel about right, or were they too soft?

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
You actually had the softer rear springs (but still stiffer than stock). the 895s are 40% stiffer than stock and the 896s are even stiffer than those. I don't want a rough ride when unloaded. I think I'll give toytech a call tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Greg, did the front springs feel about right, or were they too soft?

We had the 895's in the rear and like I said, unloaded it was pretty brutal.

Front springs were fine, IMO... good ride on & offroad.

sixstringsteve

Great, thanks Greg. It's really too bad OME doesn't make any rear springs softer than the 895s. Makes me wonder how much weight you'd need in the back to need 896s.

I think I'll go with toytec coils in the rear.

sixstringsteve

I liked the idea of the pfran kit, but I wanted to see what Airmanwilliams could do for me. We came up with some super bright panels at a price much cheaper than pfran with more light. I'm quite happy.

Cell pics of lights are always deceiving, but here are a few.

20140903_224753.jpg

I've been putting a lot of hours into my storage platform. I'll take better pics tomorrow, but I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

20140903_224703.jpg

I can fit about 6-8 small action packers beneath it.

20140903_224536.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I just discovered this EZtube. This would be fantastic for a platform.

[video=youtube;LbOnuVBqS7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOnuVBqS7I[/video]

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
In regard to the LED's they look great. My 100 series had/has a red led in the drivers side map light (the one up by the rear view mirror). At first I didn't understand why the po chose the color... After using it at night I quickly realized it was the best idea ever. It was great for having my co-pilot read maps and such while I was driving at night. With regular LED's and oem lighting it's like someone is shining a flashlight in your eyes while you're trying to drive. The red wasn't nearly as bright which didn't hinder my vision much at all. Something to think about. Nice rig Steve :cool:

Greg

Admin
In regard to the LED's they look great. My 100 series had/has a red led in the drivers side map light (the one up by the rear view mirror). At first I didn't understand why the po chose the color... After using it at night I quickly realized it was the best idea ever. It was great for having my co-pilot read maps and such while I was driving at night. With regular LED's and oem lighting it's like someone is shining a flashlight in your eyes while you're trying to drive. The red wasn't nearly as bright which didn't hinder my vision much at all. Something to think about. Nice rig Steve :cool:

I really like the LED's in your old 100 Andrew!

My '06 Jetta came with Red lights that shine down on the radio/shifter when it's dark out... you don't really notice them, but the added lighting is nice.