Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I should have posted them before, just forgot to. :eek:

Tons of people have ran the E2000, which is probably why there's some mixed reviews out there. If that E2000 doesn't work, I'll find something else, no biggie.

I've used them in a bunch of applications, no problems so far....Easy to find, relatively cheap, easy to mount.... Carry a spare if your worried.
They don't suck well! Make sure that gravity gets fuel to the pump and you are good. I have had to prime them before, only if the pump was mounted high, or the tank was run empty.

Caleb

I've used them in a bunch of applications, no problems so far....Easy to find, relatively cheap, easy to mount.... Carry a spare if your worried.
They don't suck well! Make sure that gravity gets fuel to the pump and you are good. I have had to prime them before, only if the pump was mounted high, or the tank was run empty.
This is my exact experience with the e2000. The initial prime is sometimes a little tough. I actually burned up my first pump because I didn't know they didn't suck too well. But they have a warranty so I just went and had it replaced. I also picked up a spare at the same time...never had a problem with it after that.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
There is a higher flow similar one I have been seeing the 5.3 and 6.0 guys using, I think it is the E8248

Bart

It's not the priming or the function. I'm reading the E2000 are good from 30 to 40 gph which is fine for TBIs and LS1s. The E8248 is good from 60 to 70 gph which is more suited to the LS7s, LQ4s and LQ9s. We'll see. I haven't unpacked my E2000 and may try to trade it.

Jeff_88MJ_WI

No pics, it was one of those things I didn't document. I got rid of the regulator, used a piece of high-pressure rubber fuel line and some quality hose clamps to connect the E2000 pump and the TJ pickup.

The fuel line size is -6 as were all the fittings. The fuel rail fittings were 2 different sizes, 3/8" to -6 AN and 5/16" to -6 AN. Here's link for them-

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400081+115+315529&autoview=sku

I also used a 3/8" fitting coming out of the stock sending unit, which was a nice touch to tie into the braided steel hose.

I hope you don't mind me clogging your build thread with questions and pics, but here goes. :)

I took apart a stock TJ fuel pump assembly recently and don't know how you gutted the regulator nor what parts you used or left out. Here are a few pics showing the stock TJ components:

Below is the stock TJ fuel pump assembly disassembled. The actual pump is still in the can. The larger rectangular filter snaps onto the bottom of the can.
P4100108.jpg

Below is the order of fuel flow. Screen/pump/fuel transfer tube/top/fuel regulator. There is a spring not shown between the top and the crimp on the fuel transfer tube. This spring forces the tube/pump/can to the bottom of the tank.
P4100117.jpg

Below is the pump with permanently? attached filter and fuel transfer tube.
P4100109.jpg

Below is the can that the pump fits into. The bottom of the can has some holes in it, then a rubber like washer and a metal washer. The filter attached to the bottom of the pump then fits into the rectangular area.
P4100110.jpg

Below is the can next to the pump/transfer tube.
P4100111.jpg

Below is the bottom of the top. The fuel is pumped into the center and the excess fuel is dumped back into the can through the holes surrounding the center tube.
P4100112.jpg

Below is the top of the top. The fuel regulator snaps into the top and seals with O rings. It is held in by a spring across it's top.
P4100113.jpg

Below is the bottom of the regulator. Fuel is pumped into the center nipple and excess fuel is returned to the can from the area next to the center nipple. They are both sealed to the top via o-rings. I had a hard time prying mine loose from the top and left screw driver marks!
P4100115.jpg

Below is the top of the regulator. I measured 3/8" OD on the output nipple, so that should be the fitting size I need from Summit.
P4100116.jpg

Looking at these pics, can you tell me what parts you used, what parts you discarded and how you gutted the regulator? Thanks much, Jeff

Last edited:

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
I was at BHR the other night also and did not even realize that what the RME Wrangler.

Very nice rig and very good quality of work. Keep it up.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
]Looking at these pics, can you tell me what parts you used, what parts you discarded and how you gutted the regulator? Thanks much, Jeff

Huh... I thought the pump was regulated at the max PSI itself, didn't realize that was the regulator on top. I figured dumping the stock pump & swapping in the new E2000 I was good to go. Looks like I have more work to do. Sorry I'm not much help!

Jeff_88MJ_WI

Huh... I thought the pump was regulated at the max PSI itself, didn't realize that was the regulator on top. I figured dumping the stock pump & swapping in the new E2000 I was good to go. Looks like I have more work to do. Sorry I'm not much help!

Well, I'm no expert, but I believe the fuel pressure regulator works the way I described it. I know that can thing is the fuel pressure regulator though. I once found a web page that I can no longer locate where the builder added a fuel pick up tube to the top of the stock TJ fuel pump assembly (using a bulkhead fitting) and used the nipple on the fuel pressure regulator for the return line. I thought they had to gut the regulator to do this, but perhaps not. I wanted to find out more information on it, but can't even seem to find the darn page anymore. I seem to think it was a web page for one of the magazines. Jeff

Greg

Admin
greg how is this coming along?

It's coming along quite well, the TJ is still up at Ben Hanks Racing but they are making good progress. As of this morning the motor was wired & turning over and with some fuel pump wiring it was supposed to be running this evening. They are supposed to be wrapping it up soon, hopefully I'll be picking it up the 2nd week of May.

I'm excited, it's going to be incredibly fun to wheel!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Update

Well, its getting close to being done. However, the Jeep is actually looking more "torn-apart" than ever before. :eek:

Also, when it comes to completely wiring a rig and plumbing fuel and brake lines, it doesn't make for great progress pics, ya know?

Until I can get some better progress pics, here's one of the PCM clamp (just inside of the driver side fender, under the hood).

Attachments

• gregbuggy043r.jpg
    gregbuggy043r.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 161

Meat_

Banned
Update

Well, its getting close to being done. However, the Jeep is actually looking more "torn-apart" than ever before. :eek:

Also, when it comes to completely wiring a rig and plumbing fuel and brake lines, it doesn't make for great progress pics, ya know?

Until I can get some better progress pics, here's one of the PCM clamp (just inside of the driver side fender, under the hood).

Hey, I was just poking at that earlier :D

It's looking very good, :greg: should be getting antsy to get his ride.

Jeff_88MJ_WI

Update

That's a neat looking clamp, but I need a different angle or something. Just doesn't make sense in my mind. So what did you all decide to do about the fuel pump? The way I understand it, the higher pressure pump is still feeding through the lower pressure TJ regulator and therefore won't put out anything beyond the TJ pressure. Thanks, Jeff

Greg

Admin
That's a neat looking clamp, but I need a different angle or something. Just doesn't make sense in my mind. So what did you all decide to do about the fuel pump? The way I understand it, the higher pressure pump is still feeding through the lower pressure TJ regulator and therefore won't put out anything beyond the TJ pressure. Thanks, Jeff

I talked to Redd at BHR & we talked about the regulator. We decided to bypass/delete the stock TJ regulator, but I don't have any pics of how it turned out.

Jeff_88MJ_WI

Perhaps they installed another bulkhead fitting and fed the pump output into that. Another thing I think you could do is to use the bulkhead fitting that you installed as the Feed and simply plumb the return into the output end of the TJ fuel regulator. I bet it would allow plenty of flow for a return running backwards. I decided to go a different route. I want to install a stock GM Silverado pump in the TJ tank. They can be had for an ok price at a yard and mount similarly to the TJ assembly. They are a smaller diameter and taller though. They have three rods with springs that push the pump to the bottom of the tank. I plan to shorten the rods and springs so that the assembly will compress enough to fit in the TJ tank. Then, I plan to machine an aluminum donut type adapter that the GM pump will slip into getting clamped down with a custom clamping ring and then the GM pump/donut will slip into the TJ tank and be clamped down with the threaded ring as if it was a TJ pump assembly. I already purchased a piece of 3/4" aluminum plate and used a hole saw to cut a 3.5" hole in the middle. I need to get into the high school shop and do a little lathe work and it should be good to go. Oh yeah, the GM fuel level sending unit won't work for me but neither would the TJ sending unit. I'm going to have to retrofit an XJ fuel level sending unit to the GM assembly. Jeff

Last edited:

Spidey

I did a similar thing to feed my LS1. I modified my YJ sending unit to hold a vortec fuel pump. I then used a corvette fuel filter which has a built in pressure regulator which allows for only one line to the fuel rail and a short return line from a closely located filter.
If I were to build my rig again and used a fuel cell. I would ditch the jeep sending unit and have a cell built around the GM sending unit. I think thats the ticket. Simple and clean.