Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's like going to 6" bigger tires, for anyone who really doesn't think that's a big difference!!! :eek:

That's awesome, and cost a lot less than I would have thought. Sweet!

Bart

I hear ya about the exhaust. I had to have one header custom made and they wouldn't do the way I wanted without hauling to So Cal, so they just dumped the collector straight out. It works but looks kind of corny, and cost the same as any custom built.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just re-read the entire thread looking for more info on your 5.3... What is it? Specifically LS1 or etc? And what did it come out of? I think I'm going to ditch the 4.0 ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just re-read the entire thread looking for more info on your 5.3... What is it? Specifically LS1 or etc? And what did it come out of? I think I'm going to ditch the 4.0 ;)

Pretty sure he's got an LM7. (?)

Yes, Carl is right it's an LM7. It's a 2003 Chevy truck 5.3, if you do some searching you can find them cheap. I paid $1500 for my motor with less than 40k on it and it was in running shape, so I was able to see it start & run. The price I paid wasn't the best deal out there but I saw it run, it came with all the accessories, ECU, drive-by-wire parts, etc, etc. And it was local... I was happy to pay a bit more than the 'good deals' for all that.

I think the 5.3's are great motors... an LS1 would be cool, so would a truck 6.0, but that 5.3 makes a 4000 pound TJ move pretty well. For the money saved over an LS1, I'm pleased. Also, there are a few GM SUV's that came with all-aluminum 5.3's... ;) They usually go for about the same price as the cast iron block motors, because wrecking yards don't know it's alum. Do some research, I think that would be a great option.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There is a LQ4? 6.0 and 4L80E with all accessories, PCM, wiring, etc. local for $1500. The only negative is it's out of a 03 2500 HD and I kinda need 04 up to keep the smog legal thing going. Maybe since this motor/trans was used in 04's, that I could source an 04 computer and just upgrade?

The part that concerns me is the cast iron block and AL heads. I know other motors (Toyota for example) that have problems because the two metals expand/cool differently and then end up having head gasket issues. I'd hate to drop ~$3k putting this in and then find out that it was in error and I should have sourced an LS1/LS2.

As of right now, I intend on keeping my NV3550 trans and NG241OR tcase to make it easier than having to mess with it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I over engineering this? Or should I pick it up and get started.

....Maybe I should start my own thread...

Greg

Admin
There is a LQ4? 6.0 and 4L80E with all accessories, PCM, wiring, etc. local for $1500. The only negative is it's out of a 03 2500 HD and I kinda need 04 up to keep the smog legal thing going. Maybe since this motor/trans was used in 04's, that I could source an 04 computer and just upgrade?

The part that concerns me is the cast iron block and AL heads. I know other motors (Toyota for example) that have problems because the two metals expand/cool differently and then end up having head gasket issues. I'd hate to drop ~$3k putting this in and then find out that it was in error and I should have sourced an LS1/LS2.

As of right now, I intend on keeping my NV3550 trans and NG241OR tcase to make it easier than having to mess with it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I over engineering this? Or should I pick it up and get started.

....Maybe I should start my own thread...

Yes, an LQ4 is a good motor. Yes, start your own thread. :p

Greg

Admin
Greg, any pics available of what you did to mount your seats? Did you use the brackets they sell for those seats?

I don't have any pics currently, but Ben Hanks Racing used the stock TJ sliders and welded mounts to the cage to secure the seats. They made use of parts I already had, rather than buy new, not-needed stuff.

I don't have any pics currently, but Ben Hanks Racing used the stock TJ sliders and welded mounts to the cage to secure the seats. They made use of parts I already had, rather than buy new, not-needed stuff.

Thanks Greg,
That is the direction I was going... obviously it can be done. :cool:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
No pics, it was one of those things I didn't document. I got rid of the regulator, used a piece of high-pressure rubber fuel line and some quality hose clamps to connect the E2000 pump and the TJ pickup.

The fuel line size is -6 as were all the fittings. The fuel rail fittings were 2 different sizes, 3/8" to -6 AN and 5/16" to -6 AN. Here's link for them-

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400081+115+315529&autoview=sku

I also used a 3/8" fitting coming out of the stock sending unit, which was a nice touch to tie into the braided steel hose.

Is it the same fitting that fits the Corvette filter as it does the TJ regulator?

I think I'm going to hollow out my regulator and use it as a return as well, but unsure on which connectors.

Also, is the 3/8" the one on the TJ regulator, Corvette filter pressure side, and 5.3 fuel rail? And then the 5/16" on the Corvette filter return?

What kind of hose did you use? SS braided or...? I'm thinking about saving quite a few ducks and using Russel's blue twist lock hose. THoughts?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I had to order the transmission mount, nobody stocks them here! Weird... it will be in tomorrow. I need to work on putting the wiring harness back together & getting power to the motor. If all goes well, I'll be firing the engine around the 2nd half of Dec. :cool:

What did you end up doing for a trans mount? I'm at this point now.... I bought the AA mount, but mocking it up it doesn't look very doable - I think a stock GM mount would be more doable - or even the TJ mount with that big metal plate that the muffler hooks up to. ...Just curious what you did.

Greg

Admin
What did you end up doing for a trans mount? I'm at this point now.... I bought the AA mount, but mocking it up it doesn't look very doable - I think a stock GM mount would be more doable - or even the TJ mount with that big metal plate that the muffler hooks up to. ...Just curious what you did.

I used a TJ motor mount, which bolted to the skidplate then made a piece of plate to make-up the difference in where the transmission mount & t-case mount were. Easy as could be.

Greg

Admin
Is it the same fitting that fits the Corvette filter as it does the TJ regulator?

I think I'm going to hollow out my regulator and use it as a return as well, but unsure on which connectors.

Also, is the 3/8" the one on the TJ regulator, Corvette filter pressure side, and 5.3 fuel rail? And then the 5/16" on the Corvette filter return?

What kind of hose did you use? SS braided or...? I'm thinking about saving quite a few ducks and using Russel's blue twist lock hose. THoughts?

Sorry, missed this before...

I don't know what fits the Vette filter as I did not use one, so I can't say. But I used 3/8 fittings on the 5.3 fuel rail and fuel line, then 5/16 fittings on the return line.

I used Summit brand braided stainless. Can't comment on the Russele hose because I've never used it, but I do know they make quality products.