Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nice work!

If you are still worried about the frame section, it looks like you may have room to add an over top gusset of some sort.

This is the first thing I thought of (orange section):
FrameGusset.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Very nice work, Greg.

Thanks!

Nice work!

If you are still worried about the frame section, it looks like you may have room to add an over top gusset of some sort.

This is the first thing I thought of (orange section):
View attachment 29163

I thought about that, welding to the backside would be somewhat difficult though. I think it's alright, more than a few people have done it this way w/o the gusset & they seem to be holding up, plus the roll cage will tie into the back end of the frame, adding even more strength. Thanks for the idea Shane!

Greg

Admin
Well, another long day in the garage... I wrapped up some more welding, got the track bar mount installed, pulled the rear axle out for paint, painted the comp corners & winch plate, then prepped the 5.3/TH350/Atlas for install. I filled fluids, hooked up breathers, etc. After some careful maneuvering, I got the drivetrain dropped between the frame rails! Nothing is bolted up at this point, because I need to clearance the firewall and chop a little of the frame out. Once those spots are marked, cut & repaired, I'll drop the motor back in for good.

Tomorrow is another day!

Greg

Admin
You are rockin' it out! What's are the chances of it being in Moab in about 10 days? :D

Sadly it won't happen, my fuel cell is 2 weeks out & there's plenty of other stuff to do.

103" huh? I'm gonna own you on the steep walls! :rofl::rofl:

I can add 3-4" more if needed... this is the starting point. Even at 103", I'll own you in the technical, bouldery trails like 21 Road, Coyote, etc. :greg:

Greg

Admin
Here's a pic from the drivetrain install yesterday, the parts do have to come back out.

SANY0003.JPG

The A/C pump hits the frame & needs to be notched and the factory exhaust manifolds dump right on the upper control arm mount. I'm going to have to run headers, which I'm not against, but it's just an unexpected cost. I ordered a set of Jeep Wrangler to LSx engine swap headers from Sanderson. They cost under $300 shipped, but are supposed to be real tight. The rep from Sanderson said the collector sits no more than 3" off the block and dumps further forward, but not quite centered.

Here's where the stock manifold dumps-

SANY0006.JPG

And the rear axle after being painted yesterday.-

SANY0001.JPG