Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, it's not quite rolling yet but here's an update.

I placed an order with Blue Torch Fab for some parts that are really going to simplify the build. Dan DuBose was great, I told him what I was building & my list of parts that I needed. Here's what I ended up getting from BTF-

• BTF TJ Comp Corners
  • BTF TJ Rocker Guards
  • BTF TJ front Tube Fender kit
  • BTF Grill Hoop kit for TJ
  • BTF Front Bumper w/ D-rings
  • BTF Winch Plate for TJ
  • BTF Coil Mounting kit

As of today I have everything but the front bumper. Dan said they were a bit behind on supplying them, which is alright with me. I still have a long way to go! Some parts are missing from the picture, buried in the garage. :hickey:

100_4303+_Medium_.JPG

100_4305+_Medium_.JPG

100_4304+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
While I was waiting on the body protection parts, I've been installing the suspension. I have to say, the TeraFlex LCG kit makes it pretty easy to install a quality long-arm suspension on a TJ. The brackets on the frame end are very simple & difficult to mess up. The biggest pain is removing all the original mounts.

I used the plasma cutter, sawzall, grinder & die grinder depending on which fit better. After the removal, I cleaned each spot up and prepped the spot for the new TeraFlex brackets.

Here's some pics of how it went together.-

100_4250+_Medium_.JPG

100_4252+_Medium_.JPG

100_4253+_Medium_.JPG

100_4255+_Medium_.JPG

100_4256+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
After all the frame-end brackets were on, it was time to work on the axle brackets. I was lucky enough to have the front axle built with all brackets in place, so all I had to mess with was the rear axle. Unfortunately the mounts & coil buckets on my rear Dana 60 wouldn't work for the TJ, so I had to remove everything & start over. Most of the stuff had pretty questionable fabbing, but it still took a half-day to remove it all. Once again, the plasma cutter, sawzall & grinder were put to work. There's a mess of molten metal, grinding dust, etc all over the garage... :ugh:

Here's what that axle looked like before.-

100_4189+_Large_.JPG

I started with the TeraFlex axle bridge. Pretty cool part, IMO. I had to do some trimming to get it to fit snugly.

100_4279+_Medium_.JPG

100_4281+_Medium_.JPG

100_4282+_Medium_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg

Admin
Once the TeraFlex axle bridge was tight against the axle, I tacked it in place & started welding. There were a few places that I welded the bridge to the cast & used the torch to heat & cool the cast iron before & after the welding process. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the welds on this thing, I don't think I will because it has so much surface area on a few different planes. I also re-used a small piece of plate that was on the top of the diff, welding the bridge front & back.

100_4286+_Medium_.JPG

100_4287+_Medium_.JPG

100_4288+_Medium_.JPG

100_4290+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
I welded on the lower control arm mounts, but haven't taken any pics of that part yet. I'm waiting until I'm ready to install the coils on the rear axle.

The next thing was to work on the rear coil buckets on the frame. I'll be moving the rear coils back about 12", so the stock buckets had to come off. I used the die grinder to cut thru the weld, but not into the frame. It took some delicate work, but after it was cut thru, the bucket was beat out of the way & cut the rest of the way off. Here's the process-

100_4292+_Medium_.JPG

100_4293+_Medium__001.JPG

100_4294+_Medium_.JPG

100_4295+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
The 5.3l engine is now bolted to the TH350, which is also bolted to the Atlas T-Case. I'll be installing these parts once the Jeep is sitting on wheels & tires, which will probably be 2 weeks out unless my beadlocks arrive before I leave for work.

100_4302+_Medium_.JPG

And to wrap things up for today, here's how the front end is looking. I have the front axle pushed forward a little bit, but still need to weld on the Tera track bar bracket. The Tera CRD 60 axle is in place and I rebuilt the Dana 60 kingpin knuckles yesterday. It wasn't that bad, actually.

100_4301+_Medium_.JPG

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looking great so far!

You probably already know this, but you have the option of using the upper holes in that axle-side track bar bracket, especially since you don't need to worry about matching any steering geometry with your planned full-hydraulic steering. That Pro trackbar is designed to use the stock mounting location, that's why it's bent like it is, and why it's as long as it is.

Greg

Admin
Looking great so far!

You probably already know this, but you have the option of using the upper holes in that axle-side track bar bracket, especially since you don't need to worry about matching any steering geometry with your planned full-hydraulic steering. That Pro trackbar is designed to use the stock mounting location, that's why it's bent like it is, and why it's as long as it is.

Ahh... that's good to know. I did try fitting the track bar in those holes, but the upper holes would shift the track bar further to the drivers-side. Can I use the Pro track bar & the track bar bracket that came with the kit? Cause the 2 don't line up unless I shortened the track bar by a few inches.

Greg

Admin
Got some more work done the last few days. I got a couple of the 40" Creepys mounted with the Staun beadlocks, then wrapped up the front axle by putting on the u-joints & shafts together, then bolting on the rest of the outers.

Tonight the Jeep's front end is sitting on it's own! :greg:

SANY0001+_Medium_.JPG

It's a little wide... :eek:

SANY0003+_Medium_.JPG

With the tires fully aired up, I have 15" of ground clearance under the diff! :greg:

SANY0004+_Medium_.JPG

Don't mind the baby powder all over the wheel/tire... :ugh:

SANY0005+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
I expect the front springs to settle about about 2" after the engine/transmission/t-case get installed. I'll probably drop that in later this week. :cool:

I'm going to start on the rear spring mounts soon. I have to notch out the frame, reinforce the cut & burn the new coil buckets on about 12" behind the original spring mount.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just think how wide it would have been if those axles were not narrowed. Looks about perfect to me!

Greg

Admin
Just think how wide it would have been if those axles were not narrowed. Looks about perfect to me!

Yep, I like it right where it's at. I went with 3" BS on the wheels, since Marcus has been warning me about my axle width. I think it turned out perfect so far. I'll be curious how well the rear will fit flexed out.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So you have the option of going narrower pretty easily if you decide you want to. In the meantime, it's looking :greg:-riffic!

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Looks good man!

Feels great to finally get the axles underneath it doesn't it;)
MP

BTW. I have a set of blue TJ tubefenders that would look great on that thing

Greg

Admin
So you have the option of going narrower pretty easily if you decide you want to. In the meantime, it's looking :greg:-riffic!

Yea, but I really like the width. I'm not sure how wide it is at the sidewalls, but I think it'll work as-is. :rofl: Thanks!

Looks good man!

Feels great to finally get the axles underneath it doesn't it;)
MP

BTW. I have a set of blue TJ tubefenders that would look great on that thing

Yes is does, thanks! I have some Blue Torch Fab DIY tube fenders. I'd be interested in yours, but I'm raising the hoodline & will have too build them around that.