Buying a new SUV

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
I like the Lexus GX 470. It's priced above all of the prior suggestions, but it seems to be a very solid vehicle.

http://www.lexus.com/models/gx/index.html

270 HP/330 lb-ft of torque out of a 4.7 V8 with VVT-i. Downhill Assist Control, Hill-Start Assist Control, Torsen Limited-Slip Center Diff., full-time 4wd, and a lever shifted t-case. Plus it's certified as an Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
why isn't the 04 discovery an option. kind of weak for towing big things but does fine for smaller boats and utility trailers. you can do just about any upgrade of modification without voiding your warranty, it comes with hill descent contol, solid axles, and is very cushy. it should fit in you price range.

KToy

you can take a sequioa offroad per say camping.

the reason i pick a sequioa is it tows my rockcrawler, fits 7 people, fits 4 people my baby boy and 4 dogs, all while towing my rockcrawler. gets over 14 MPG and can move.

ya its a soccor mom vehicle, but its better than a gas powerd excursion and its a toyota.

iv owned over 30 vehicles since i was 16, now im 24. nothing holds up like a toyota. and i wont own anything else ever again since they came out with the v8.

when the 3/4 ton comes out i will probably buy one of those too.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I thought the max towing for a Sequioa was less than 5,500 lbs? That's not very much considering the grand cherokee, exlporer, etc can do much more.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
AtTiLiA said:
iv owned over 30 vehicles since i was 16, now im 24. nothing holds up like a toyota. and i wont own anything else ever again since they came out with the v8..

Amen brother, i've owned close to that, and I don't think i'll ever buy anything other than toyota, other than a Dodge CTD.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AtTiLiA said:
you can take a sequioa offroad per say camping.

the reason i pick a sequioa is it tows my rockcrawler, fits 7 people, fits 4 people my baby boy and 4 dogs, all while towing my rockcrawler. gets over 14 MPG and can move.

ya its a soccor mom vehicle, but its better than a gas powerd excursion and its a toyota.

iv owned over 30 vehicles since i was 16, now im 24. nothing holds up like a toyota. and i wont own anything else ever again since they came out with the v8.

when the 3/4 ton comes out i will probably buy one of those too.

That's kinda interesting as I have a bro-in-law with a Sequioa. It apparently isn't satisfactory to tow their camp trailer (I bet it maxes out at about 5000 lbs--18ft tip out camp trailer---point being that I'm sure it weighs less than your crawler on a trailer), so he bought a CTD. They still have their Sequioa, but he sold his BMW to get the Dodge. I know one of the reasons it was "unsatisfactory" was it's limited range while towing.

Sounds like it works good for you, though. I wonder what the differences are between the two Sequioas?

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Jay5.9L said:
I thought the max towing for a Sequioa was less than 5,500 lbs? That's not very much considering the grand cherokee, exlporer, etc can do much more.

Towing capacity for 2wd/4wd is 6,500 lbs and 6,200 lbs, respectively.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/sequoia/specs.html > Capacites

Highest towing capacity for the '05 Grand Cherokee is 6,500 lbs (V-8) and considerably less at 3,500 lbs for lesser models. Doesn't vary with drivetrain.

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp?vehicle=GRAND_CHEROKEE&pid=u&adid=u&rid=u > Capacites/Weights

The '05 Explorer 4x2 with 3.73 gears and no auxiliary climate control can tow 7,140 lbs. The same 4x4 can tow 7,000 lbs. With the auxiliary climate control, those ratings are 6,640 lbs and 6,500 lbs respectively.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/features/specs/

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

When I was looking for a bigger and more capable tow vehicle I looked into the toyotas (sequoia and land crusier) and they both are on the low side. The LC did 5,500 lbs. max and the Sequoia was about 5,250 lbs max. I'm sure the weight/size/length are suffcient for more but the 4.7L does not kick out enough power. Of course I ahev never even been in a Sequoia so I may just be blowing smoke LOL . If I had the $$ and a big enough garage it would be a Nissan Armada. Did a test drive a few months ago in a Durange (Hemi) then a Z71 tahoe then the armada all one after another. Even thou the Armada needed a few improvements (door handles were flimsey,etc) the powertrain was far better than the other two. I think the tow rating for it is upper 8K lower 9K lbs..... not bad!

Jay5.9L

From the Jeep site "Towing Capacity - Maximum (Properly Equipped) [lb] 7200 "

The kick in the pants toyota must have helped alot in the towing department. :)

Last edited:

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Money being no object, I'd get a Volkswagen Touareg with the 5.0L TDI V-10. 553 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 RPM. Better breakover angle than a Wrangler (with the air suspension lifted). It looks as though they have discontinued the V-10, probably due to its pricetag.

The V-8 is still a winner, though.

http://www.vw.com/touareg/

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
breederwheeler said:
Is it me, or does the rig in the last link smell a little like a Durango?

Not that is a bad thing, or a good thing, just an observation

Honestly, I think it's a stretched WK Grand Cherokee.

Definitely not for me. I'm thinking that front end is almost as icchh of 'styling' as the Chev trucks. I kind of like the XJ body lines, but the Discoveryish 'roof' windows are kind of gay too. Yet another new Jeep I'm not even remotely interested in owning. Bugs me that it looks sorta like the newer Land Rover headlights......Where's the Jeep?

Oh, and this one looks like it kicks @ss off road.....:rolleyes:http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/grand_cherokee_srt8/index.html

KToy

my trailer and rockcrawler are 6000 pound almost on the dot.

03 sequoia rated at 6200 pounds with 245 horse power.

the 05 sequioa has 283 HP i think. i had an 05 tundra. pulled to moab no less than 65 up the whole canyon and i wasnt flooring it since it only had 1500 miles on the motor.

granted the sequioa doesnt tow as well as my tundra, but it does get the job done. im having a lil braking issue with the sequioa so i am getting trailer brakes. i tell ya what though it sure is a nice ride compared to my CTD and my SD power stroke. what a ride diffrence.

like i said earlier. i have owned over 30 vehicles and i just cant get back into those bumpy trucks.

allterrain

AllTerrain
You guys are all WRONG WRONG WRONG!!
I have owned Jeeps, Toyotas, Rovers, ect., but you have all missed the ultimate 4x4 rig. An Escalade slammed on 22's is where it's at baby!!
Pimp daddy gold package, subs everywere, limo tint, it's all about the bling man!! :)

Houndoc

When I was doing my shopping last fall (before buying the used Montero Sport) I was very interested in (but could not afford) the VW and from all that I have read the new Rover LR3 looks great- money aside that would be my choice.

Stock, I thought the 4runner clearance looked pretty low down the middle.

The H3 should be hitting the market soon- might be a fun little rig.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
allterrain said:
You guys are all WRONG WRONG WRONG!!
I have owned Jeeps, Toyotas, Rovers, ect., but you have all missed the ultimate 4x4 rig. An Escalade slammed on 22's is where it's at baby!!
Pimp daddy gold package, subs everywere, limo tint, it's all about the bling man!! :)
Please, God, say you're joking :eek:

fastdrmr

I have the new 05 Xterra Offroad Auto... love it and glad to wheel it.

If you have specific questions, shoot me a PM and I will gladly answer your questions.

And yes... its still IFS, but now with coil overs instead of T-bars! wooooo hoooo! ;)

Bart

AtTiLiA said:
i had an 05 tundra. pulled to moab no less than 65 up the whole canyon and i wasnt flooring it since it only had 1500 miles on the motor.

You were towing something with the Tundra and didn't go under 65, or was that the Tundra itself? I'd have to call BS if you were towing your crawler up Soldiers Summit and didn't drop below 65.