Camping Tips: The Sleeping Pad

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have noticed a few sleeping bag manufactures making them with ways to attach or hold on to sleeping pads on the exterior of the bag. Would there be any advantage to placing your pad inside you sleeping bag since the bottom of your bag is relatively useless being compacted with your body weight?

The main advantages of placing in your bag is to keep from rolling off and to take up volume. Too much wiggle room inside of your bag and you will be pumping warm air out all night while you pump cold air in as you move.

I usually put my pad on top of a cot. Sometimes i put the pad in my bag so it doesn't move around. I haven't noticed any additional warmth inside the bag vs outside, but I am sure others will have more informed input than me.

Spot on. The only time it would be waker is if the bag is really big for you.

I used a closed cell ensolite pad with a ground cloth of some kind. It also helped in the back of the Scout or on a cot for insulation. Not meant for comfort but could always make a hip hole in sand, snow, or dirt with leaves.

Hip holes are a good idea in non sensitive areas. They work really well, thanks for the reminder Jack.

One thing that was missed and is worth mentioning is weight capacity. The air pads will be able to fat guys like myself off the ground more easily. I use a Exped Downmat XL and it keeps me off the ground. The filled air pads typically have the highest R-value of all the pads. I have also noticed my Downmat is much more durable than I expected. The life of the Downmat will be atleast 20 years. I have owned two for about 10 years and they are still going strong. I do still use 3" open cell pads from Smith's Market Place but I need about 6" of padding to keep my 300lb fat but off the ground. Over the past 30 years of using open cell pads I have noticed they are pretty worthless after 6-7 years.

good point. Those down mats are really nice pads.

I've been using the same open cell pad for more than ten years now. Still going strong - used it on some below zero nights last weekend.

I almost always use it on a cot though. And I use the relatively cheap cots. They typically only last me about three years.

- DAA

Your mustache keeps you warm.

spencevans

Overlander
I've been using the same open cell pad for more than ten years now. Still going strong - used it on some below zero nights last weekend.

I almost always use it on a cot though. And I use the relatively cheap cots. They typically only last me about three years.

- DAA

The main issue I have with the open cell is they tend to get too heavy for backpacking after 6-7 years. They collect dirt and dust and a 3lb pad becomes a 5lb pad over time. If you roll them up with bungees, they also take longer to recover and fluff up the older they get. Other than that, There great. I still use them and think they are a nice option and the price is right. When I go backpacking I cut them down to 24" wide to reduce weight. I think they come 30" wide when you purchase them at the store.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Gossamer gear his having a sale on their ultralight closed cell foam pads. They are the lightest around. I just ordered a couple. Check out the air beam air pads they just came out with. Excellent design.

Rock Taco

Gossamer gear his having a sale on their ultralight closed cell foam pads. They are the lightest around. I just ordered a couple. Check out the air beam air pads they just came out with. Excellent design.

Dont you have enough? :D I think you might need rehab.

sixstringsteve

Let me know if anyone is getting anything from gossamer. I want a sitlight sit pad, but I don't want to pay $8 shipping for a $10 piece of foam (I'll help pay part of your shipping though).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Dont you have enough? :D I think you might need rehab.

True story. I definitely didn't need 3 more pads. My wife made me do it.:confused:

Let me know if anyone is getting anything from gossamer. I want a sitlight sit pad, but I don't want to pay $8 shipping for a $10 piece of foam (I'll help pay part of your shipping though).

I should have called you before I ordered. Sorry.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My wife is looking for a new pad. Anyone have experience with the Neoair Xlite and the NeoAir Xtherm. Those are the ones she is leaning toward. It must be a winter worthy pad. The womens Xlite is rated at 3.9 R-value which is good enough for her needs. The Xtherm is only a few ounces heavier but it is 5.7 R-value. What do you guys think?

Xlite specs.
Radiant yellow print
R-Value 3.9
Weight 12 oz / 340 g
Width 20 in / 51 cm
Length 66 in / 168 cm
Thickness 2.5 in / 6.3 cm
Packed dimension 9 x 4.0 / 23 x 10
Volume 33 cu. in
Bottom fabric type 30d High Tenacity Nylon
Core Nylon
Gender Womens
Country of Origin Made in Seattle, USA

Xtherm Specs.
Reflex Gray
R-Value 5.7
Weight 14 oz
Width 20 in / 51 cm
Length 66 in / 168 cm
Thickness 2.5 in / 6.3 cm
Packed dimension 9 x 4.0 / 23 x 10
Volume 33 cu. in
Top fabric 30d
Bottom fabric type 70d High Tenacity Nylon
Core Nylon
Country of Origin Made in Seattle, USA

sixstringsteve

I'm always cold, so I always go for the warmer pad. To me, it's worth 2 oz for the extra warmth. I sleep with my xtherm in the summer too, and I can feel heat radiating back at me. On hot summer trips, a regular neo air would probably be more comfortable, but i rarely have issues with being too hot at night.

The xtherm has a tougher bottom layer, making it less likely to puncture.

Edit: your specs above confirm the thicker bottom.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think she should get the X-therm, but she is VERY weight conscientious. She mentioned that she could do an Xlite and a gossamer gear closed cell pad for the same weight as a Xtherm. That would surely be as warm and at least as puncture resistant.

She has never slept on an Xtherm and one of these days she will. I think that will help her make up her mind.

Around R-value 4 is what keeps me comfortable in the winter. Obviously, higher is not a bad thing, but I don't need much more than that.

DAA

The XTherm was not for me - the shape. I'm too much the thrasher for the semi-mummy shape. Never once woke up that I wasn't mostly off the pad. But my Son loves it.

You can try it anytime you want.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The XTherm was not for me - the shape. I'm too much the thrasher for the semi-mummy shape. Never once woke up that I wasn't mostly off the pad. But my Son loves it.

You can try it anytime you want.

- DAA

that is nice of you. I like having a little more room. That is why I went with the Exped UL synmat 7. I like the width. She is smaller than me and I don't think the size will bother her. It might though. She usually sleeps on a prolite small.

It's been stated already, but another reason to borrow the xtherm and try one first is the crinkly noise factor. Doesn't bother me, but I could see how it could.

That is a good point. I have had a lot of friedns sell the neoair pads because of the noise. It doesnt bother her though. She sleeps well camping, plus she always sticks in ear plugs :)

It might bug me though:p

sixstringsteve

She's welcome to use mine. I've borrowed enough of her stuff, it's time to return the favor. I have zero complaints about mine, other than it takes about 25 breaths to fill up. I'm usually light headed by the time it's full. I need to get one of these.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
anyone used either of the neo air pads in a short? I am wondering if legs would fall asleep.

I bought Xtherm last year and absolutely love it! I bought it up in Montana so no sales tax because it is pricey! I've been pretty rough with it and so far no damage or tears but it does seem that given the right condition it will rip easily. I was concerned about he noisy crinkling sound but I found that when inflated and sleeping/rolling around on it that there is not that much crinkling sound. And comfort! I really felt like I was on a bed.
I am very very happy with it. Used it in winter camping….and no problems with cold.

Gear8848

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I bought Xtherm last year and absolutely love it! I bought it up in Montana so no sales tax because it is pricey! I've been pretty rough with it and so far no damage or tears but it does seem that given the right condition it will rip easily. I was concerned about he noisy crinkling sound but I found that when inflated and sleeping/rolling around on it that there is not that much crinkling sound. And comfort! I really felt like I was on a bed.
I am very very happy with it. Used it in winter camping….and no problems with cold.

Thanks for the input! My wife borrowed one a tried it on this last trip and she loved it. The noise was not noticeable at all and she stayed warm. She is just trying to decide between the regular and medium size now.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thanks for the input! My wife borrowed one a tried it on this last trip and she loved it. The noise was not noticeable at all and she stayed warm. She is just trying to decide between the regular and medium size now.

She ended up getting a regular size tonight. Hopefully we get to try it out soon.