Camping Tips: The Sleeping Pad

sixstringsteve

agreed, in most climates I can feel heat radiating towards me when I use my xtherm. I haven't found another pad that touches its R value for the weight.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Back to the car camping that was briefly referenced... I have a plywood topped platform that I sleep on in my Cruiser, and the small self-inflating pad (Thermarest I think) isn't cutting it for me. I want something to keep me warmer, and something more comfy. Weight isn't a big concern, and the space it takes up is only of moderate concern. I usually just fold it in half with my sleeping bag in the middle and then run a strap over the whole thing while traveling.

Open cell? Memory foam? I'm not opposed to the simple 3" open cell pad from Smiths, but are there better options? Size requirement is roughly 30"x72"+. Keep in mind that I'm cheap.

DAA

I've been using a 3" open cell pad for car camping for years and years. Works for me. The one I use was actually pretty expensive though. Over priced, it was, I'd say. Got it from Cabelas, for about a hundred bucks. It's lasted a good 400+ nights now though. Even survived soaking up a bunch of coyote blood last year.

- DAA