Camping Tips: The Sleeping Pad

sixstringsteve

I use a regular size too. I love mine. I had one that had a manufacturer defect where it sprung a leak at one of the seams. The company I bought it from exchanged it for a new one, and so far zero issues. I like how tough the bottom is.

Last edited:

ozzy702

Have any of your that are using the Xtherm also used an exped down mat? I have an exped that I picked up from backcountry and am tempted to exchange it for an extherm.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Have any of your that are using the Xtherm also used an exped down mat? I have an exped that I picked up from backcountry and am tempted to exchange it for an extherm.

The down mat is a great pad. It will keep you warm and be very comfy. It is heavy, however.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So now that I've been spending more time in the tent I've decided it's time I get myself a sleeping pad. Things that I'd like are an air with pad, self inflating would be preferred but I'm not sure if they specify when they are self inflating or not. I dont do any backpacking at all so weight isnt really an issue as much as space. Rectangle ones are my preference because I move around and the more padding around me the better!

After looking around at pads I was interested in the Thermarest NeoAir Camper model in XL due to it's 30" width, the downside is it says it's not self inflating. Doesnt sound like it's all that heavy to me which is a plus. But for the price, is that a good option to go with or am I looking in the wrong place and there's better options out there? Occasionally I will probably use it with a cot when I decide it's time to buy one, but for now I think I might be ok using it on the the ground. Opinions?

Here's a link http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-neoair-camper-sleeping-pad

DAA

Therma makes good stuff and I'm sure that's a really nice air pad. I can't be bothered to dick around with an inflatable while car camping myself though. But you did say space is important, so it might be the way you need to go.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

If I were you, I'd look at the Thermarest Dreamtime pads. They're bigger and heavier and more expensive, but they're more comfortable than my bed at home. PERFECT for car camping. I can't imagine a more comfortable mattress. They're expensive, but they're sturdy and they last a long time. Anyone who has ever slept on mine asked how much it cost, then said "it's definitey worth it."

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Mattress-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-DreamTime

OldGeezer

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks for the info on the other pads guys

Steve,

the pad you posted does look very comfortable but one concern is the fabric it's made of, the review does say that it has a tendency to get a lot of dirt and hairs to stick to it etc. it kinda sounds like a suede material sort of. One of the things I dislike is returning from a trip and unloading, unpacking, washing any gear that may need washing etc. So if I have to so that with a sleeping pad too I think that would be a drawback for me. Do you put a sheet on it to keep it clean longer or how do you deal with that part?

OldGeezer,

that camp bed does look pretty nice, I may actually out that one in my consideration list as well, especially since it's self inflating and fits my budget also. How compact does it get when you pack it up for a trip?

One thing I hadn't mentioned was price/budget. I don't want to go too overboard on price because chances are I will purchase 2 pads. So if I can stay under $130 for an ideal pad that's kind of what I am shooting for.

sixstringsteve

I've never cleaned my dreamtime. It has a removeable sleeve that zips off that you could throw in the washer if you really wanted to, but mine has always been inside a tent or on a tarp, so it never got dirty. If you're in a tent, it'll stay plenty clean.

OldGeezer

that camp bed does look pretty nice, I may actually out that one in my consideration list as well, especially since it's self inflating and fits my budget also. How compact does it get when you pack it up for a trip?

One thing I hadn't mentioned was price/budget. I don't want to go too overboard on price because chances are I will purchase 2 pads. So if I can stay under $130 for an ideal pad that's kind of what I am shooting for.

9 x 30 according to their specs. It's not a compact package by any means.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

Steve,

the pad you posted does look very comfortable but one concern is the fabric it's made of, the review does say that it has a tendency to get a lot of dirt and hairs to stick to it etc. it kinda sounds like a suede material sort of. One of the things I dislike is returning from a trip and unloading, unpacking, washing any gear that may need washing etc. So if I have to so that with a sleeping pad too I think that would be a drawback for me. Do you put a sheet on it to keep it clean longer or how do you deal with that part?

The dreamtime cover is micro fleece. Very easy to wash.

It is the best pad I have ever slept on.

I have a 2.5" thick big agnes REM for sale in the for sale section. It is a very comfy pad as well.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll keep an eye out for a dreamtime sleeping pad to see if I come across any deals for them. The price is a little offputting since I intend to buy two of whatever I decide to get. But you guys are giving me some good options here, which is what I wanted. Thanks!

Davy, I'll take a look at your FS thread and look into that pad as well.

MattL

Im looking for a 2 person car camping sleeping mat. We have a large 2 person sleeping bag we love to use. Does anyone have suggestions? In times past we have used 3 or 4 different air mattresses/vendors and none of them are worth a darn. We have several thermarests and big agneses for backpacking and like those for what they are made for but need some comfort in the car camping department.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
many pads can be attached together to make a big pad. For instance, the dreamtime has straps sewn on the cover that allow you to use webbing to keep them together. When they are hooked up it is the same as having one pad. It is easier to store and transport, but still allows you to sleep close.

For pads that don't come with that feature people will glue the coupler kit onto the pad and it will work the same.

or you can use some webbing
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/universal-couple-kit/product

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I used a closed cell ensolite pad with a ground cloth of some kind. It also helped in the back of the Scout or on a cot for insulation. Not meant for comfort but could always make a hip hole in sand, snow, or dirt with leaves.
After reading a bunch of the posts I think you guys are over thinking the subject. In the old days you bought what you could afford. Now all you have to do is buy a ground cloth, ensolite pad, tent or tube tent, zero degree taper down bag made from V tube rip stop nylon with down stuffing. Anything else is fluff and over thinking the subject and go for the lowest price out there because they are all good.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I slept on my wife's Xtherm and will be getting one for upcoming winter camping. I loved it. I have the Xlite which is great, but not quite warm enough for me in winter.

Troop92

I recently picked up a Therm-A-Rest BaseCamp in the Large size and I love it. I'm just 5'6", but I love a bigger pad so you're not trying to stay on it all night. It has a 5 R-value, and isn't too slippery under a sleeping bag. I have a beat up but proven wool blanket that I double over and put below whatever air mattress I'm using anyway, for further insulation. Nothing will get you like the cold ground. It isn't too heavy, I use it for backpacking on scout trips and haven't found it cumbersome.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We were talking about camping around the Thanksgiving table today and my brother asked about my sleeping pad. I have the ExPed MegaMat and have really like it a lot. My little brother ended up looking it up to show my other brother and saw that it was on sale 50% off on backcountry.com. Its still expensive at $100 but it is super comfortable. I ended up ordering another one for my wife to use or should I say for me to use when my wife goes camping with me. The one that is on sale is 26" wide, the one I already have is 30" wide so its a little different but my wife won't miss the extra 4", she is little.

Thought I'd pass the info along. Link.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Update on the Xtherm. I ended up getting a size regular and a size large for myself. I will see which one I like better and sell the other. I slept on the Xtherm regular over the weekend in Moab/Valley of the Gods/Monticello. It is a ridiculously warm pad. I can't believe how warm it is. Even with a quilt and no insulation under me I was toasty warm. It didn't get crazy cold, but the internet said it would be 26 at night. I felt no cold through the bottom. I am really digging this pad for winter stuff.

FWIW, the more you inflate the pad the higher the R-value. It isn't as comfortable inflated hard, but it is significantly warmer. I started out really firm and let air out all night until I got where I needed. I never got cold even with it less inflated.